Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_20220406_144527_2.jpg
IMG_20220406_144557_2.jpg

Found at old farm/park this morning about 8 inches down (a couple of square nails in hole as well....)
Any way to clean the black off without damaging coin??

Upvote 55
OP
OP
T

thekise

Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find, I soak them in Worcestershire sauce and check them every couple of hours then rinse them good.
Thanks for the tip - Will give it a try - the Virginia red clay really does a number on copper/bronze coins!!

Does the Worstershire work on Large Cents and "V" nickels as well??

Tencents

Jan 12, 2019
Northeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500, Garrett Apex
Minelab 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip - Will give it a try - the Virginia red clay really does a number on copper/bronze coins!!

Does the Worstershire work on Large Cents and "V" nickels as well??
It does pretty good on the coppers, only thing that works for me on the shield nickels and v nickels is fine steel wool but I just want to see them not sell them.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow - lot's of detail there - it's in better condition then most - congrats on your first one ! :occasion14:

If you choose to do so, be VERY CAREFUL of how you clean the coin - it can easily be ruined !
You will loose most or all the details on the coin if you remove ANY of the heavy green patina.
The safe way - is to soak the coin in Olive Oil - it will take some time to loosen the crud - about a week to a month.
Take the coin out every few days and remove the loose material with a wooden tooth pick.

Good Luck !

Last edited:

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2019634 View attachment 2019636

Found at old farm/park this morning about 8 inches down (a couple of square nails in hole as well....)
Any way to clean the black off without damaging coin??
Nice find...love the detail on old coins... I'm certain somebody will help you with cleaning advice if they haven't already...the coin looks like it will clean up well...

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
T

thekise

Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow - lot's of detail there - it's in better condition then most - congrats on your first one ! :occasion14:

If you choose to do so, be VERY CAREFUL of how you clean the coin - it can easily be ruined !
You will loose most or all the details on the coin if you remove ANY of the heavy green patina.
The safe way - is to soak the coin in Olive Oil - it will take some time to loosen the crud - about a week to a month.
Take the coin out every few days and remove the loose material with a wooden tooth pick.

Good Luck !
Thanks for the Olive Oil tip - will try both that and the Worcestershire sauce on regular cruddy pennies first as a trial run - may leave the older/rarer coins as they are.

It seems that here in Virginia soil a sort of "black crust" forms around some coins. It is actually Black. Detail can still be seen on coin, but the lighting and/or view angle must be right.

So soaking/removing it hopefully would remove the "shell" without destroying the coin.

The detail on the Date Side is not as clear and I so far cannot determine if it is a Large or Small Motto variety (I see both were made when looking on the Internet.....)

Happy Hunting!!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find! I've never heard of the Worcestershire sauce trick- been an olive oil or boiling hydrogen peroxide person myself, but please show pics if you try it- would love to see the results- GL!

OP
OP
T

thekise

Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find! I've never heard of the Worcestershire sauce trick- been an olive oil or boiling hydrogen peroxide person myself, but please show pics if you try it- would love to see the results- GL!
Will do IF I decide to do it - will look into the boiling hydrogen peroxide as well - all kinds of tricks!!

OP
OP
T

thekise

Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have any pics of ones you've done (before and after) I would like to see them to see the results!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread