Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_20220406_144527_2.jpg
IMG_20220406_144557_2.jpg

Found at old farm/park this morning about 8 inches down (a couple of square nails in hole as well....)
Any way to clean the black off without damaging coin??

Upvote 55

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The active ingredient in Worchester sauce is white wine vinegar. It's cheaper to just use that, but, vinegar will also take off the patina, so, use it sparingly. If you want to keep the patina, but, remove surface debris (not corrosion), use acetone. If it's corrosion you want to remove, you will also remove detail and patina in the process regardless of which method you use. Soft picks (toothpick, Andre's pencils, bamboo stick, etc) can remove corrosion to a point, but, usually leaves pits. Not much you can do about that if it's corroded. Olive oil will usually darken copper over time. Once I get a coin looking as good as I think it's going to get, I like using Coin Care for long term protection of copper coins. It has a silicone base to help keep moisture and future corrosion from attacking the coin.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Save!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old copper coin

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
T

thekise

Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The active ingredient in Worchester sauce is white wine vinegar. It's cheaper to just use that, but, vinegar will also take off the patina, so, use it sparingly. If you want to keep the patina, but, remove surface debris (not corrosion), use acetone. If it's corrosion you want to remove, you will also remove detail and patina in the process regardless of which method you use. Soft picks (toothpick, Andre's pencils, bamboo stick, etc) can remove corrosion to a point, but, usually leaves pits. Not much you can do about that if it's corroded. Olive oil will usually darken copper over time. Once I get a coin looking as good as I think it's going to get, I like using Coin Care for long term protection of copper coins. It has a silicone base to help keep moisture and future corrosion from attacking the coin.
Good information - Thanks!!

I showed it to a coin collector today and the first thing he said is "whatever you do, don't clean it", so I guess I plan to leave this one as is so I don't ruin it!!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice coin. Aside from the crud, it appears to be in nice condition. The 'we' in the motto 'In God We Trust' was the highest point of the 2 cent coins, and was the first part to wear away. Your pics look to show that it's still legible, so your coin didn't see much circulation before being lost

OP
OP
T

thekise

Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice coin. Aside from the crud, it appears to be in nice condition. The 'we' in the motto 'In God We Trust' was the highest point of the 2 cent coins, and was the first part to wear away. Your pics look to show that it's still legible, so your coin didn't see much circulation before being lost
Thanks - yes the collector was impressed with the overall condition of it as well...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a very nice coin, crisp details.
Personally I kind of like the dark look of the coin. Great details still so I would leave it.
Practice on common wheat penny's and decide what works the best for your soil condition.
I've had mixed luck using Hydrogen Peroxide, sometimes I have been very pleased.
Mostly if a coin is toast, it's toast.

OP
OP
T

thekise

Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a very nice coin, crisp details.
Personally I kind of like the dark look of the coin. Great details still so I would leave it.
Practice on common wheat penny's and decide what works the best for your soil condition.
I've had mixed luck using Hydrogen Peroxide, sometimes I have been very pleased.
Mostly if a coin is toast, it's toast.
Yes, good advice.

I saw a post online which showed large cents cleaned with vaseline and q-tips. Tried it on a wheat penny. Did not turn out good on my wheat cent, though he had excellent results!!

OP
OP
T

thekise

Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a neat coin to find. Congratulations.
Thanks!!

Was thinking yesterday that as this was minted during the Civil War, there were probably relatively few of them that got to Virginia - a chance it could have been a Yankee soldier drop??

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks!!

Was thinking yesterday that as this was minted during the Civil War, there were probably relatively few of them that got to Virginia - a chance it could have been a Yankee soldier drop??
Ah the finds do make you wonder.

1649586938131.gif

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great FIND !!! In 54 years of detecting I have only found one of those and that was three years ago along a stone fence like line in the woods in Benezette Pa

OP
OP
T

thekise

Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great FIND !!! In 54 years of detecting I have only found one of those and that was three years ago along a stone fence like line in the woods in Benezette Pa
Glad you found that one as well - so exciting to get a really good find!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions