1864 Indian Head Penny, 6 US Navy Civil War Era (?) Grommets\Buttons with Copper Name Tag, 1902 Barber Quarter

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out detecting for 7 hrs. today in the beautiful, cool, Fall-like temps. First day on the new Nox 800 battery I installed. Only set me back 53 bucks and a few minutes install time with only three days of delivery downtime.

Found the IH and grommet\buttons together with the name tag. Three of the grommets still have the leather attached. Not sure if they were part of a saddle bag, shoes, or uniform. Might have been sandwiched into three separate fasteners. Will be fun to research local history to see if I can find enlistment info, gravestone, or living descendants. Name is clear and the town matches up. I'm more of a 1700's hunter and don't have as much experience with 1800's farm stuff. Definitely a greater volume of hits to pick through. More brass\copper than colonial iron.

I usually don't scan the old dirt roads because I don't want to pick through modern crap like shells, bullets, clad, and beer tabs. On my way out of the woods I was carelessly swinging my coil and walking fast along a dirt road when I got a solid 30 on the Nox 800. Pulled the 1902 quarter out an inch deep. Now I look at the old back roads differently. At some point I'm going to scan them all carefully.

Attachments

• tres310.jpg
    tres310.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 133
  • tres311.jpg
    tres311.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 13

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out detecting for 7 hrs. today in the beautiful, cool, Fall-like temps. First day on the new Nox 800 battery I installed. Only set me back 53 bucks and a few minutes install time with only three days of delivery downtime.

Found the IH and grommet\buttons together with the name tag. Three of the grommets still have the leather attached. Not sure if they were part of a saddle bag, shoes, or uniform. Might have been sandwiched into three separate fasteners. Will be fun to research local history to see if I can find enlistment info, gravestone, or living descendants. Name is clear and the town matches up. I'm more of a 1700's hunter and don't have as much experience with 1800's farm stuff. Definitely a greater volume of hits to pick through. More brass\copper than colonial iron.

I usually don't scan the old dirt roads because I don't want to pick through modern crap like shells, bullets, clad, and beer tabs. On my way out of the woods I was carelessly swinging my coil and walking fast along a dirt road when I got a solid 30 on the Nox 800. Pulled the 1902 quarter out an inch deep. Now I look at the old back roads differently. At some point I'm going to scan them all carefully.
Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like great finds, please keep us posted on the background of the name tag. 7 hours is a full day... congratulations 👍

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE DAY DIGGING CONGRATULATIONS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread