1865 Shield Five Cent Piece?

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6A75F8A0-F4BC-44E3-A4D6-6B6F24AB99D8.jpeg
6D357C3E-2FCE-4A99-A23B-29335BF60D3D.jpeg
Got permission to hit an 1840’s house yard today, didn’t find much, but I did find this shield nickel. After cleaning it, the date looks like 1865 to me. When I looked them up, the first official date for issuing them is 1866, but apparently some of the earliest one did have a date of 1865. What do you think?

Upvote 27

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2009086 View attachment 2009087 Got permission to hit an 1840’s house yard today, didn’t find much, but I did find this shield nickel. After cleaning it, the date looks like 1865 to me. When I looked them up, the first official date for issuing them is 1866, but apparently some of the earliest one did have a date of 1865. What do you think?
Zoomed in by increasing the screen by 500%. I vote for "5". I'd like to find one even with no date showing.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2009086 View attachment 2009087 Got permission to hit an 1840’s house yard today, didn’t find much, but I did find this shield nickel. After cleaning it, the date looks like 1865 to me. When I looked them up, the first official date for issuing them is 1866, but apparently some of the earliest one did have a date of 1865. What do you think?
very cool find is what I think

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like a 5 in the picture. Sometimes a number on the date was smashed down to distort the original number and make it look like another one. You would really have to put a good loupe on it or take it to a coin shop for clarification. No matter what the last digit is, a Shield Nickel is a great coin to find.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well not according to these folks??? They may have made prototypes but I can't imagine any of those getting into circulation.
Ocean7 is on to something. 1865 Patterns were made of the shield nickel, and the 2-cent piece, sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shield_nickel

But I think we have to be realistic: these patterns were just that - patterns the mint used to test various dies ahead of issuing general circulation coins, made in very VERY small numbers and carefully controlled. The chances of a pattern coin getting into circulation, and then into the ground where a detectors would find it, are very low.

The chances of an 1866 (mintage: 14.7million) being dropped and then the natural affects of the ground causing the last digit to be unclear are much, much higher.
(Plus I think I see the last digit as a "6" anyway).

I'm sorry - I'm not trying to rain on your parade, @Fullstock .
I've gone through the same struggle lately with a coin (see my comments about 1803 vs 1807 in this thread, where I say "Let me talk about that Draped Bust for a minute": https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...n-two-of-us-including-2-state-coppers.673527/). It's hard to stay objective, and I'm sure that's why you asked everyone for their input via this thread, Fullstock.
I hope you won't hate me for my input.
- Brian

OP
OP
Fullstock

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ocean7 is on to something. 1865 Patterns were made of the shield nickel, and the 2-cent piece, sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shield_nickel

But I think we have to be realistic: these patterns were just that - patterns the mint used to test various dies ahead of issuing general circulation coins, made in very VERY small numbers and carefully controlled. The chances of a pattern coin getting into circulation, and then into the ground where a detectors would find it, are very low.

The chances of an 1866 (mintage: 14.7million) being dropped and then the natural affects of the ground causing the last digit to be unclear are much, much higher.
(Plus I think I see the last digit as a "6" anyway).

I'm sorry - I'm not trying to rain on your parade, @Fullstock .
I've gone through the same struggle lately with a coin (see my comments about 1803 vs 1807 in this thread, where I say "Let me talk about that Draped Bust for a minute": https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...n-two-of-us-including-2-state-coppers.673527/). It's hard to stay objective, and I'm sure that's why you asked everyone for their input via this thread, Fullstock.
I hope you won't hate me for my input.
- Brian
It’s all good Brian, that’s why I asked for opinions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread