1872 Indian worth sending in for cleaning?

yadilos

Greenie
Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I dug this really nice 1872 Indian head a few weeks back. I only wiped it with my pants to see what it was and later at home looked up the date to find it is a semi-key. I'm guessing most of the caked on dirt would come off with a light cleaning. (I usually do a light toothpick cleaning on common date copper coins). Anyway, is it worth sending to someone to professionally clean it? I'm not sure how much a cleaning costs, nor what it would be worth once it is cleaned. Or would it possibly hurt the value? Should I just take it to a coin shop for their advice? Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• IMG_2913.jpg
    IMG_2913.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2914.jpg
    IMG_2914.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, congratulations on the find! Awesome!

I'm not an expert but I'll chime in: it looks like that IHC will have some excellent detail under all that dirt. And I don't see any flaking that would indicate that you're at risk of losing the detail.

But - what are your intended plans for the coin? Do you want to sell it? If so, you may want to stop reading my (non-expert) advice. And I believe that any dug coin is considered "environmentally damaged anyway", so keep that in mind.

If you're looking to keep it, and if you're comfortable with toothpicking a coin like this, why not very slowly and carefully clean it a bit yourself?
And have you used Andre's Pencils before? They work well - but require you to go slowly and carefully.

I see that the values can range in the hundreds of dollars, so it's a valuable coin (but not so priceless that some in-house cleaning would be a huge sin. In my opinion).

- Brian

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start by soaking it in some hot soapy water for a half hour or so. I'd then use a soft bristled toothbrush to gently remove the dirt. Pat it dry and then re-evaluate the condition. If it's badly corroded, there's really not much you can do about that, and trying to remove it usually just makes it look worse. Sometimes some minor corrosion can be removed to improve the look of the coin, but, we'd have to see another good closeup after the dirt is removed. For preservation, I like to wash with acetone and then use CoinCare to help arrest any further corrosion.

BBJJBB

Apr 12, 2022
Hi all, I dug this really nice 1872 Indian head a few weeks back. I only wiped it with my pants to see what it was and later at home looked up the date to find it is a semi-key. I'm guessing most of the caked on dirt would come off with a light cleaning. (I usually do a light toothpick cleaning on common date copper coins). Anyway, is it worth sending to someone to professionally clean it? I'm not sure how much a cleaning costs, nor what it would be worth once it is cleaned. Or would it possibly hurt the value? Should I just take it to a coin shop for their advice? Thanks for your input.
Dam!
The detail on that thing is unreal.
Be careful cleaning that one.

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I remember correctly, olive oil soak might help without doing harm to the coin. It just takes days sometimes for results. When drying, DO NOT rub the coin. Just pat dry with a soft, non abrasive cloth. Cleaning any coin, but especially coppers is very risky.

Before sending it in for a professional cleaning, go to a reputable coin dealer, and ask if the coin is worth the cost of that service.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd start by soaking it in some hot soapy water for a half hour or so. I'd then use a soft bristled toothbrush to gently remove the dirt. Pat it dry and then re-evaluate the condition. If it's badly corroded, there's really not much you can do about that, and trying to remove it usually just makes it look worse. Sometimes some minor corrosion can be removed to improve the look of the coin, but, we'd have to see another good closeup after the dirt is removed. For preservation, I like to wash with acetone and then use CoinCare to help arrest any further corrosion.
cudamark makes a good point: there could be corrosion hidden under that dirt, and the only way to know is…to remove some of it.
It’d be a bummer to send it off like that and then get back a coin with a bunch of exposed pits that were hiding under that dirt.
(And I’ve sent that before: the areas that wipe clean on your pants can be the nicest areas, because the dirt can cling more tightly to the corroded areas. I hope that’s not the case with your 1872.)

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was going to mention corrosion. Most coins with lots of copper content, exposed to soil chemicals tend to get some corrosion. I think an olive oil soak for a few days will gently remove the dirt. Just don't rub the coin with an abrasive cloth or brush. try a natural hair brush. Then pat dry, and break out you 5X loupe.

OP
OP
Y

yadilos

Greenie
Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your replies and advice, guys. These are the finds that make metal detecting fun.

I worked up the courage to give it a short 15 minute bath in distilled water. Just lightly swirling the water at the end of the bath (without the coin moving around in the dish) showed lots of dislodged dirt. I then VERY LIGHTLY gave each side a 5-10 second rub with a soft toothbrush while running more distilled water over it. Then a pat with a non-abrasive cloth. Still some dirt as you can see but much better (I hope!?!) than before to my untrained eyes. I've been touching it with bare hands so obviously has some oil on it now.

Should I do anything to stop further corrosion? (I don't have any acetone handy) Now what would your opinion of the coin be? Worth showing a shop, or...? Someone asked, and yes, I always am considering selling semi-key and key date coins I find (I found a very ugly 1885 V nickel earlier this year for example).

Thanks again, guys.

Attachments

• IMG_2934.jpg
    IMG_2934.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2935.jpg
    IMG_2935.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 64

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd remove the rest of the dirt and coat it with CoinCare to preserve it. I don't think sending it in to be graded will help it's value since it will most likely come back as being corroded. Not bad corrosion, but, the heavy green patina will probably get that designation depending on who grades it. Nice XF/AU details, so, it should still sell for some good coin.

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a link for preserving coins dug up using metal detectors.

One thing about immersion of coins in olive oil. The immersion will impart a dark patina on the coin. Old timers used these on early coppers. That's one reason you see many darker early coppers, though not the only reason. Copper is very reactive to many different chemicals. I would suggest you do online research into the cleaning and preservation of these wonderful early coins.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember correctly, olive oil soak might help without doing harm to the coin. It just takes days sometimes for results. When drying, DO NOT rub the coin. Just pat dry with a soft, non abrasive cloth. Cleaning any coin, but especially coppers is very risky.

Before sending it in for a professional cleaning, go to a reputable coin dealer, and ask if the coin is worth the cost of that service.
Or months. On old LCs it can take months for results.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your replies and advice, guys. These are the finds that make metal detecting fun.

I worked up the courage to give it a short 15 minute bath in distilled water. Just lightly swirling the water at the end of the bath (without the coin moving around in the dish) showed lots of dislodged dirt. I then VERY LIGHTLY gave each side a 5-10 second rub with a soft toothbrush while running more distilled water over it. Then a pat with a non-abrasive cloth. Still some dirt as you can see but much better (I hope!?!) than before to my untrained eyes. I've been touching it with bare hands so obviously has some oil on it now.

Should I do anything to stop further corrosion? (I don't have any acetone handy) Now what would your opinion of the coin be? Worth showing a shop, or...? Someone asked, and yes, I always am considering selling semi-key and key date coins I find (I found a very ugly 1885 V nickel earlier this year for example).

Thanks again, guys.
Really nice detail on that coin.

OP
OP
Y

yadilos

Greenie
Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again, guys. I'll gently finish taking the dirt off it and give it some CoinCare treatment as cudamark recommends.

On to the next find!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again, guys. I'll gently finish taking the dirt off it and give it some CoinCare treatment as cudamark recommends.

On to the next find!
Beautiful coin and I don,t know much about coins.Just a FYI,Hobby Lobby sells a wide variety of art brushes from very soft sables to stiff nylon.You can find one that suits your cleaning style and they,re high quality too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread