🥇 BANNER 1877 Indian Head Cent - The Big Key Date!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 1877 Indian Head Cent this past Saturday morning on my second visit to a new site.

P7280078.JPG

P7280091.JPG

A colonial-period house once stood at the site which offered easy short cut grass for hunting, but little was found on my first 4-5 hour search a few weeks ago. I recovered a tombac button, a musket ball, a Wheat penny, and a Buffalo nickel. Saturday’s search was offering equally dismal results consisting of a modern dime (several inches deep :BangHead:), a quarter, and a foreign coin recovered over a half-hour search, so I started working my way back to the car. I had other sites to search that morning. I was hoping for one more high-tone signal before leaving, and soon passed over just such a signal about 6” deep. I cut a plug and removed an Indian Head cent with far less corrosion in comparison to what I typically encounter. I gave the coin a light rub and was surprised with the date of 1877. I knew the key date for the Indian Head series was somewhere in the 1870’s neighborhood. “Hmmmmm, was it 1872, 1874, or 1877? Did I have the big key date? Nahhhhh! The key date is 1874. If it’s 1877, than I must be misreading the dirt-encrusted date. It’s probably 1879.”

Anyway, I found the coin about 8:00 a.m. and enjoyed considering the possibilities throughout the remainder of the day while running errands, attending to family obligations, and so forth. In the late afternoon, I finally got home and took a closer look at the coin. It was clearly dated 1877; all finished with Step One. Going to Step Two, I got out my old 2006 Red Book and scanned through the dates, “1877 – Good-4 Condition (near bottom of the grading scale = $575, Very Good-8 = $750, Fine-12 =$1000. I’m not one to overly focus on the value of finds, but there’s some pride in finding a coin that garners such prices, as it reflects the coin’s importance as the big key date of a popular coin series. I’m primarily interested in colonial-period finds – the big coppers; however, I’m also a coin collector, so finding a key date is a thrill. :hello2: I’ve dug hundreds of big coppers and Indian Head cents over the years, but I had no expectation of ever finding the 1877 key date Indian Head cent. Most of my recovered Indian Head cents are too corroded for positive dating, so I was very lucky to recover the key date coin with a tolerable amount of corrosion and a fair amount of detail. The coin is clearly a dug specimen with corrosion. It’s worth a fraction of the cost for a non-dug specimen, but I’ll take it and why not? How could I beat it? I don’t think I’ll being digging up any 1877 Indian Head cents in Mint State-Red condition, already slabbed as it comes out of the hole.

Good Hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 58

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Still in real nice shape too!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a sweet one there for real !!!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding Find for sure ! I'm going BANNER - this is a really tough find ! We see more G.W. buttons found than 1877 IH's !
CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find! I've been hoping for a "77" also.

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find! I discovered one in my dad's coin collection. It had a gouge through the last seven. He was still able to get a couple hundred for it!

My 2012 Red Book says:

852,500 minted
G-4 $900
VG-8 $1,100
F-12 $1,550
VF-20 $2,000
MS-63 $4,500

Congrats! That is one that most people won't ever get to cross off of the metal detector's bucket list.

RileyDigger

Jul 13, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terrific find indeed, congratulations on that one!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is cool, I love those Indian Cent coins, your 1877 is a nice specimen, I would love to find one like that, congrats!

Silverseeker

Nov 25, 2004
Indian Wells Valley, CA
It's a bummer you didn't get that colonial you were looking for. Might as well just throw it back in the field.

All kidding aside, that is a very rare coin to see on here. And yours is in good condition. Congrats on getting the most sought after Indian Head, and I vote banner.

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key date 1877 IH..Outstanding coin find looks like it has full liberty too$$$$$$$$

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go! It's not only a '77, but it's in decent shape as well. Was probably XF when lost. Key dates are always a great find. I found an 1804 large cent earlier this year and couldn't believe it.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Threshold beat me to it. I was going to give you the current Red Book value too, lol. incredible find!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome coin

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a bummer you didn't get that colonial you were looking for. Might as well just throw it back in the field.

All kidding aside, that is a very rare coin to see on here. And yours is in good condition. Congrats on getting the most sought after Indian Head, and I vote banner.

:laughing7:That's too funny! I'm very fond of an early New Jersey copper that I found two years ago. I think it's a wash between these two coins for my favorite copper coin find. I guess that I'll need to set a goal for an early Chain cent to settle the whole matter. I'm very fortunate to be living in Southern New England with its offering of coin finds spanning back nearly 400 years.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's great to see an 1877--not many posted as of late. Congratulations on a stellar find.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
That's a nice one, welcome to the club

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread