Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
store80homestake.jpg

I recently picked up this stock certificate from the Homestake Mining Company that was issued on February 9, 1880. It had been signed by J.K. Goodrich and J.B. Haggin. Haggin of course was one of the three mining magnates who founded the Homestake Mining Company with George Hearst and Lloyd Tevis in the late 1870's.

I was wondering if anyone had any more information on J.K. Goodrich (the secretary for H.M.C. at that time), or if anyone might be able to recognize the signature/writing that is below the "surrendered" stamp (it almost looks like the second word is "Haggin")? I'm curious whose name was punched out on the far right of the document as well, it looks like it has "secretary" printed after it, but to me it looks like it could be something other than J.K. Goodrich.

Does anyone recognize anything on this that I might be missing?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Maitland

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here are some enlarged crop-outs of the writing/signatures I'm more curious about:

2016-10-12 03.55.32.jpg
The second word looks like "Haggin"(?) to me, but I can't make out the rest.

2016-10-12 03.57.14.jpg
Not sure if there's any way to identify this one. The individual who signed it was a secretary evidently (from Homestake or the Union Trust Co. of New York). It doesn't look like J.K. Goodrich's signature to me, who was the Homestake Mining Company secretary in 1880 and who signed the lower left-hand portion of this mining certificate.

- - - - - -

Edit: Through some additional research, I was able to find out that the writing in the 'surrendered' stamp reads "Lounsbery Haggin Transfer Agents". I have still been able to find out NOTHING about who J.K. Goodrich was (other than a Homestake secretary), or who's signature is on the punched-out area (above picture). If anyone can add to this discussion, please post! :D

Last edited:

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old post I know but the antique emporium in Deadwood has a big drawer full of those that you might be able to get the punched out name off of.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread