Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20211014_234343.jpg

Was digging at the 1890's spot today, only second time I've gone there, and found this among a few other odds and ends. It's a lid to a tub of toothpaste made in Manchester England, likely late Victorian age to the early Edwardian-era. It includes the words "By Appointment" and I'm pretty sure that has something to do with the royal family's use or approval of the product in some way. I have seen similar such lids online in which some have this written on them while others not - so perhaps the appointment was for some years and not others.

20211015_002650.jpg

Another interesting thing I found was a still-corked bottle embossed "BEREZA PRODUCT -Natural Flower - Perfumery Co. - St. Petersburg And New York".
This bottle is quite pretty and still contains what appears to be about half the original product within. I didn't remove the cork but stabilized it with vaseline so it won't dry out (maybe the product can stay fresh for another few centuries). It is a hand-finished tooled-top bottle. I don't know if the St. Petersburg that is referred to on the bottle is Tsarist St. Petersburg in Russia pre-1914 or if it is referring to the US-based city St. Petersburg Florida, which was founded in 1888. I'm going to assume it was the Tsarist Russia St. Petersburg as this would make more sense. This city as we all know would be renamed Petrograd in 1914 and then Leningrad in 1924 (in 1991 it would be called St. Petersburg again so it all worked out in the end).

Upvote 17

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1985282
Was digging at the 1890's spot today, only second time I've gone there, and found this among a few other odds and ends. It's a lid to a tub of toothpaste made in Manchester England, likely late Victorian age to the early Edwardian-era. It includes the words "By Appointment" and I'm pretty sure that has something to do with the royal family's use or approval of the product in some way. I have seen similar such lids online in which some have this written on them while others not - so perhaps the appointment was for some years and not others.

View attachment 1985283
Another interesting thing I found was a still-corked bottle embossed "BEREZA PRODUCT -Natural Flower - Perfumery Co. - St. Petersburg And New York".
This bottle is quite pretty and still contains what appears to be about half the original product within. I didn't remove the cork but stabilized it with vaseline so it won't dry out (maybe the product can stay fresh for another few centuries). It is a hand-finished tooled-top bottle. I don't know if the St. Petersburg that is referred to on the bottle is Tsarist St. Petersburg in Russia pre-1914 or if it is referring to the US-based city St. Petersburg Florida, which was founded in 1888. I'm going to assume it was the Tsarist Russia St. Petersburg as this would make more sense. This city as we all know would be renamed Petrograd in 1914 and then Leningrad in 1924 (in 1991 it would be called St. Petersburg again so it all worked out in the end).
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool digs!

Looks like Jewsbury & Brown were in business for 100 years (1826 - 1926). Here's an add for the toothpaste from 1882.

J&B toothpaste.JPG

Note this one doesn't say "by appointment". No idea what that's all about...

The Natural Flower Perfumery Co. was in the USA. They launched the Bereza Product line in 1914.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds. I can add a bit of history for you.

I would also assume the bottle reference to St. Petersburg is for the Russian city. The “Natural Flower Perfumery Co.” was established in New York by Max Wolodarsky sometime in the early 1900s (not sure when). I believe he was born 6th April 1879 in Cherkassy, Ukraine and later emigrated to America, initially living in Pennsylvania.

The business was listed in his name at 500, 5th Avenue NY in 1915 and by 1919 there are also listings in his name at the same address for “Abinoam Co.” and a company called “Abinoam-Advocate of Beauty”.

He filed for the trademark “Bereza” in 1913 (for a toilet cream and a toilet lotion), with a claim the name had been in use since 1899, which was granted 6th January 1914. There were several “Bereza Products”, including a toilet water or “eau de toilette” (a lightly scented cologne used as a skin freshener) launched in 1914 and an astringent claimed as “essential for flabby necks and sagging muscles”. Not sure which of these your bottle is for.

Bereza.jpg

For the toothpaste, don’t take everything you read about the company on the net as gospel, particularly if the information has come from an American website. Some factual inaccuracies have been stated and then perpetuated. It’s correct that the company was founded in 1826, but not as “Jewsbury & Brown”. Initially it was only Henry Jewsbury’s business and Brown didn’t join him as a partner until 1845. The original premises were at 113 Market Street in Central Manchester and later at Ardwick Green. Some sites incorrectly give the address as “Market Street of Ardwick Green”, but they’re two different places. Ardwick Green is an area outside the city centre. Both addresses can be seen in their adverts and on containers but I’m not sure when the changeover happened. If DCMATT’s “Market Street” advert is correctly dated at 1885 then the switch to “Ardwick Green” must have been after that.

“By Appointment” with the Royal Arms (Queen Victoria’s in this case) are a recognition that the company supplied goods to one of the Royal Households. I’m not sure if the rules were the same in those days but the current rules are that you must have supplied goods (or services) for at least five of the last seven years and have an ongoing trading arrangement before you can apply for use of the claim. The arms you can use are determined by which Monarch or member of the Royal Family has made the appointment, but not necessarily an indication of personal use by that particular Royal.

The reigning Monarch decides which members of the Royal Family can award such warrants. Currently only the Queen herself (and the Duke of Edinburgh until his recent death) plus the Prince of Wales… but none of the “junior” Royals.

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would also assume the bottle reference to St. Petersburg is for the Russian city. The “Natural Flower Perfumery Co.” was established in New York by Max Wolodarsky sometime in the early 1900s (not sure when). I believe he was born 6th April 1879 in Cherkassy, Ukraine and later emigrated to America, initially living in Pennsylvania.

The business was listed in his name at 500, 5th Avenue NY in 1915 and by 1919 there are also listings in his name at the same address for “Abinoam Co.” and a company called “Abinoam-Advocate of Beauty”.

He filed for the trademark “Bereza” in 1913 (for a toilet cream and a toilet lotion), with a claim the name had been in use since 1899, which was granted 6th January 1914. There were several “Bereza Products”, including a toilet water or “eau de toilette” (a lightly scented cologne used as a skin freshener) launched in 1914 and an astringent claimed as “essential for flabby necks and sagging muscles”. Not sure which of these your bottle is for.

View attachment 1985372

For the toothpaste, don’t take everything you read about the company on the net as gospel, particularly if the information has come from an American website. Some factual inaccuracies have been stated and then perpetuated. It’s correct that the company was founded in 1826, but not as “Jewsbury & Brown”. Initially it was only Henry Jewsbury’s business and Brown didn’t join him as a partner until 1845. The original premises were at 113 Market Street in Central Manchester and later at Ardwick Green. Some sites incorrectly give the address as “Market Street of Ardwick Green”, but they’re two different places. Ardwick Green is an area outside the city centre. Both addresses can be seen in their adverts and on containers but I’m not sure when the changeover happened. If DCMATT’s “Market Street” advert is correctly dated at 1885 then the switch to “Ardwick Green” must have been after that.

“By Appointment” with the Royal Arms (Queen Victoria’s in this case) are a recognition that the company supplied goods to one of the Royal Households. I’m not sure if the rules were the same in those days but the current rules are that you must have supplied goods (or services) for at least five of the last seven years and have an ongoing trading arrangement before you can apply for use of the claim. The arms you can use are determined by which Monarch has made the appointment, but not necessarily an indication of personal use by that particular Royal.

The reigning Monarch decides which members of the Royal Family can award such warrants. Currently only the Queen herself (and the Duke of Edinburgh until his recent death) plus the Prince of Wales… but none of the “junior” Royals.
Very nice condition,unique and very pretty even,Nice finds.

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1985372

“By Appointment” with the Royal Arms (Queen Victoria’s in this case) are a recognition that the company supplied goods to one of the Royal Households. I’m not sure if the rules were the same in those days but the current rules are that you must have supplied goods (or services) for at least five of the last seven years and have an ongoing trading arrangement before you can apply for use of the claim. The arms you can use are determined by which Monarch or member of the Royal Family has made the appointment, but not necessarily an indication of personal use by that particular Royal.

Wow, very insightful information, thank you very much :)

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Two very cool finds! Congrats! Thanks for stating that you stabilized the cork with vaseline. I didn't know about that. I have a couple bottles with corks. I really like the embossing of that bottle. :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread