Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0917171533a.jpg

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Ace. Is it gold plated? Some of the V nickles were gold plated and passed a New $5.00, gold peaces, known as Counter-fitters Nickles.

OP
OP
A

ace250rob

May 12, 2017
Richland Ms
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah I think its just dirty and rusty lol. I found it at an old home site back in the woods..on a trail..I assume it was an old horse and buggy trail but not sure..not far from the river

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace, I hope you followed the road to it's source. There are things you need to check around old homesteads.

OP
OP
A

ace250rob

May 12, 2017
Richland Ms
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made it to the old homesite but didnt get to really check it good yet. Its my first old homesite to detect..any tips you have would be appreciated?

OP
OP
A

ace250rob

May 12, 2017
Richland Ms
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made it to the old homesite but didnt get to really check it good yet. Its my first old homesite to detect..any tips you have would be appreciated?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to find a gold plated nickel! Have any been found? I understood that only one person was doing this and was caught and it all went away? He only used the first variety that did not have the word cents on the reverse. Pretty clever dude. 5 dollar golds were pretty rare and it would have been easy to deceive a proprietor.

Old homesteads are pretty much a hunny hole. Treasure could be anywhere. Look for evidence of a cellar hole, search around old trees or evidence of old trees, outhouse locations, front and back door locations (people reaching for keys) and if there is a near hill sloping down, search the down side of the hill. Perfect trash depository. HAVE FUN!!!

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trdking, You are pretty much on the money with your post. There were a few who passed the nickles, but it was short lived once the word got out.

Ace, Check for signs of animal pins, if someone entered the yard the animals would sound the alarm and it was a favorite spot to hide your bank. Fence post was another place to hide your money, sometimes a hole was drilled into the post or burred under them. Ie: Post Hole Bank. If the house is still standing and you can figure out where the bedroom was check the area out from the master bedroom. If a man was awaking in the night he could see if his bank was safe. If it was a plantation, check the yard area front and back, it was the custom for the ladies of the house to through dimes from the balcony to the slaves on Sunday and watch them fight for them.

I good news: Today 9/18/17, I read an articular that stated the Trump administration is trying to role back the land grabs of the Democrap administrations and restore our uses of our land to us. There may be a future for Treasure Hunters yet.

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trdking, You are pretty much on the money with your post. There were a few who passed the nickles, but it was short lived once the word got out.

Ace, Check for signs of animal pins, if someone entered the yard the animals would sound the alarm and it was a favorite spot to hide your bank. Fence post was another place to hide your money, sometimes a hole was drilled into the post or burred under them. Ie: Post Hole Bank. If the house is still standing and you can figure out where the bedroom was check the area out from the master bedroom. If a man was awaking in the night he could see if his bank was safe. If it was a plantation, check the yard area front and back, it was the custom for the ladies of the house to through dimes from the balcony to the slaves on Sunday and watch them fight for them.

I good news: Today 9/18/17, I read an articular that stated the Trump administration is trying to role back the land grabs of the Democrap administrations and restore our uses of our land to us. There may be a future for Treasure Hunters yet.

OP
OP
A

ace250rob

May 12, 2017
Richland Ms
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not sure none of the house is left a few house type plants and a few barb wire trees is abt it..the only way i knew a house was there i looked on historic aerial view and in 1908 there was something there

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace, That was meant as a general rule along with what trdking wrote. just keep them in mind when you run across an old homestead.

OP
OP
A

ace250rob

May 12, 2017
Richland Ms
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok got ya brother..I do so enjoy this hobby..i feel lime a kid at Christmas when i find something lol

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice, if it sounds interesting or makes you at all curious what it could be, DIG IT UP.
TID isn't everything.

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your houseplace find and the V-nickel.
Old house sites are certainly the best. Most home sites were occupied for generations of home dwellers and lots of stuff was lost. Lots of times when you find a house site that was standing 100 years ago there's a decent chance that it was there during the civil war too. Soldiers often camped around houses like that.
Congrats on your find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread