1902 Liberty Head, V Nickel - COUNTERFEIT, everything reads backwards???

SOSDIVING

Apr 2, 2014
Wake Forest, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter PI
White's Surfmaster II VLF
Tesoro Bandido II VLF
Tesoro Cibola VLF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is ODD, went out today on Main Street in Rolesville, NC and found this in a farm field. I thought I had found a V Nickel, but upon inspection everything reads backwards including the date. It has 13 stars on face, but they are all impressed versus raised. The bust faces right instead of left, and every feature is impressed versus raised. The backwards date seems to read 1902. The coin weighs in at 6.5 grams or 0.220 oz. It also appears to have lead in the coin, some parts look like lead oxide, but the rest looks like nickel plate. Any thoughts or ideas on this strange one?

IMG_20161222_101449811.jpg IMG_20161222_101517446_HDR.jpg IMG_20161222_102004489.jpg IMG_20161222_102014935_HDR.jpg

Upvote 18

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh sure! I know this! It's that variation on a "wooden nickel" . Ya see, they heat up a blob of lead, then they take a real nickel and press it into the softened lead, then they cool it off and nickel plate it. Then...they're ready to pass it off at their local tavern where they already know the barkeep is dyslexic! And I haven't a clue of what I'm talkin' about! LOL

Dyslexics of the world!! UNTIE!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had a thought....(and yes, it did hurt). I can't see the coin too well in these pics but, can you tell is the word "CENTS" is on the reverse of the coin?

There was a scam involving "V" nickels when they first came out. The word "CENTS" was not on the coin and some enterprising crooks used to gold plate them and pass them off as 5 dollar gold coins. :dontknow:

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh sure! I know this! It's that variation on a "wooden nickel" . Ya see, they heat up a blob of lead, then they take a real nickel and press it into the softened lead, then they cool it off and nickel plate it. Then...they're ready to pass it off at their local tavern where they already know the barkeep is dyslexic! And I haven't a clue of what I'm talkin' about! LOL

Dyslexics of the world!! UNTIE!

That reminds me, WHADIFIND. the local Dyslexic Theater Company is doing a gangbusters production of "Annie Get Your Nug".

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just had a thought....(and yes, it did hurt). I can't see the coin too well in these pics but, can you tell is the word "CENTS" is on the reverse of the coin?

There was a scam involving "V" nickels when they first came out. The word "CENTS" was not on the coin and some enterprising crooks used to gold plate them and pass them off as 5 dollar gold coins. :dontknow:

You are right. The very first year they came out 1883 the word cents was omitted. Some were plated and passed as 5.00 in gold. However the mint rectified that error and cents was added to every year after that.

MY educated guess is it was made to fool a vending machine. I have a lead buffalo nickel I found underwater and I think since no vending machines were electronic or very sophisticated, any coin approximately the same size as the coin needed would work.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right. The very first year they came out 1883 the word cents was omitted. Some were plated and passed as 5.00 in gold. However the mint rectified that error and cents was added to every year after that.

MY educated guess is it was made to fool a vending machine. I have a lead buffalo nickel I found underwater and I think since no vending machines were electronic or very sophisticated, any coin approximately the same size as the coin needed would work.

Welp, of course, I can't rely on any edumacashunals but, If I were to try and make a 5 dollar fake to pass off, I might be tempted to make the front a different date then the 1883. Especially, if I were making them after the first ones from 1883 were discovered. If yaknowaddamean, Vern? ;)

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s mine. It’s a die/stamp.
I only have the reverse side. Made of steel. Cut off the rod. Most likely from the courthouse fire of 1888.

Attachments

• 3BF016C3-A362-4FAA-BABF-F1E59824816A.jpeg
    3BF016C3-A362-4FAA-BABF-F1E59824816A.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 23
  • F3339209-1FBC-4343-95E3-D6CBE863F10F.jpeg
    F3339209-1FBC-4343-95E3-D6CBE863F10F.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread