1920 National Motorcycle Gypsy Tour Watch Fob

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Its been a while but Bedford Bob and I were at a house built around the 1880's. We really didn't find a whole lot. My finds of the day were a 1909 wheatie, not pictured. The other is a 1920 National Motorcycle Gypsy Tour Watch Fob. The information that I have gathered so far suggests that these were actually awards to the winner? of that tour going from one location to another. It was actually part of a ribbon badge, this was later cut off and wore as a fob. The earliest one I have found online is a 1917, so this is a fairly early piece of motorcylce memorabilia for the gypsy tours.

When I first scanned the target I was surprised to see 1-46 on the E-Trac, I was thinking big silver or big copper trash, It was down about 6 inches lying flat in the bottom of the hole. The owner was standing there and wanted a look see, he expressed some interest in it. He has an extensive background in motorcycles, so I will be returning this piece to him as appriciation for letting us hunt his property. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• NMGT19202.jpg
    NMGT19202.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 941
  • NMGT1920.jpg
    NMGT1920.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 971
  • NMGT19203.jpg
    NMGT19203.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 914
Upvote 3

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's really cool!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In 1917, the Federation of American Motorcyclists (FAM) sanctioned its first official Gypsy Tours. A Gypsy Tour was an overnight event, with organized road rides and other activities of interest to motorcycle enthusiasts, where groups of riders would converge on a favorite destination. The term Gypsy was used because the riders would travel long distances, and often sleep in tents around a campfire along the way, much like the Hollywood stereotype. Gypsy Tours were held in various parts of the country, and typically occured on the same weekend every year. The "National" Gypsy Tour referred to the whole series of these events.

The purpose of the Gypsy Tours was to provide a good time for the riders, and favorable publicity for their sport.
Here's the complete story along with pics of each years' award: http://www.weirsbeach.com/Largejpgs/bikeweekguidecovers.html
Don....

OP
OP
DeArmitt Pa

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I knew someone here would know more than I found. Thanks for the superb information. :thumbsup:

RandyNorthridgeCa

Mar 27, 2005
Northridge, Calif.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F-75, SE, explorer 2 on beaches), CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a sweet find! :icon_thumright: To bad you had to give that one up but it was a very nice thing for you to do. You have some good karma coming your way. :sunny:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W :o W!! That's a neat find...CONGRATS!

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a GREAT ribbion badge :notworthy: CONGRATS !!!!!

OP
OP
DeArmitt Pa

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have actually recieved some very good offers from a very interested collector, one or two made me drool. However, I am sticking to the original plan of returning it to the land owner for letting us hunt his property, more return trips planned. I never thought this piece would attract as much attention as it has.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer fob!!!! :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

HighTone

Jun 30, 2011
Monroe County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Etrac ~ Tesoro Vaquero ~ Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the neatest... coolest...most awesome watch fob ive ever seen...good karma comin your way forsure :headbang: :headbang:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a killer find :headbang:

Especially for the moto enthusiast like me..

Blaze

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of thee coolest fobs I've seen. Tell the land owner you have an interested collector and see if he wants the fob or the cash. I bet he takes the cash.

mustangroxie

Jan 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1924 Gypsy Tour fob this past weekend. It's in pretty bad shape, the front looks way better than the back. How exciting! I found it at an old homestead site, just digging for bottles and jars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread