1929 D MERC

SILVERHOUND

Apr 19, 2003
RALEIGH,NC
I HAD A CHANCE TOSPEND ABOUT 2 HOURS SEARCHING THE YARD OF A 80 YEAR OLD HOUSE IN CHAPEL HILL,NC.I DIDNT MAKE MANY COIN FINDS.IN ALL 11 WHEATS AND THE 29 D DIME.THE ODD THING ABOUT THE DIME WAS I FOUND IT FACE DOWN AND ABOUT 3/4 OF IT WAS VISABLE.I WAS WORKING THE SIDE OF THE HOUSE AND IT WAS ROCKY KINDA MOSSY GROUND AND IT RAINED HEAVY A FEW DAYS BEFORE.I SUSPECT THATS WHY THE COIN WAS VISABLE?OVER THE YEARS IVE FOUND WHEATS ON THE SURFACE AND ONCE IN A FLOWER BED OF A HOUSE BUILT IN THE LATE 20S I FOUND A 1927 STANDING QUARTER AT LESS THAT 1/4 INCH..ANYONE HAVE SIMILAR STORIES

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yep, found excellent coins on tree roots at surface that apparently did not grow into the root or go deep. Also rocky and gravel strewn soil. In soft black dirt near creeks and riverbeds here, coins can sink very deep very fast. But with a little gravel in the mix the coins can be kept from sinking very far.

But hey, that sounded like a great 2 hours anyway. Nothing wrong with addind to the wheatie pile!

Thonolan

Mar 20, 2003
Port Huron, MI
I've never found a notable coin lying on the surface. The closest I've came is finding a 1940 British penny at 1/2 inch in my mother's yard and a 1945 walking liberty half dollar less than an inch down at an old Baptist church. At a sidewalk strip in an old neighborhood, I found several wheats and a mercury dime. A few of the wheats (including a 1921) were found just under the surface.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread