ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
one shot

unless you can find a nazi bullet collector then the price is what the market will bear as always---what you will take vs what they will offer. not too much most likely. funny thing however it didn' t get used up in the war normal mauser (rifle) ammo 8mm. in ground find or otherwise?

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
WOW, I find a lot of those bullets here in germany, but never one with the reich eagle on the back. Later in the war, they started running out of good metal, so most of the rounds I find aren't in that great of shape. If I went to other areas that the germans occupied earlier in the war, I could maybe find some rounds like yours. That is really cool :) I hope I can find some rounds like that!!!!!!

T

Tunneling Fox

My Waffen-SS Encyclopedia tells me that the 8x50R mm round went to Hotchkiss machine gun. I believe the Hotchkiss was used in WWI. Most every other small arm of the German army was 7.92mm or 9mm. Other then the Carcano M1891 witch was 6.5x52. Yeah I would say that might be a rare one. I know any thing vintage with the rich eagle in the States is collectable.
Good Luck............ :)

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
Tunneling Fox said:
My Waffen-SS Encyclopedia tells me that the 8x50R mm round went to Hotchkiss machine gun. I believe the Hotchkiss was used in WWI. Most every other small arm of the German army was 7.92mm or 9mm. Other then the Carcano M1891 witch was 6.5x52. Yeah I would say that might be a rare one. I know any thing vintage with the rich eagle in the States is collectable.
Good Luck............ :)

I can guarantee it was made in 1938. It was used in the Mannlicher bolt action rifle, well after WWI

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The standard round for the German Army in WWII for use in their bolt action M98 Mauser Rifles (millions issued) was 8X57 Mauser. They also fired it in many of their machine guns. It is comparable to our M1 Garand which shoots a .30-06 round, except the German bullet has an 8mm bullet. I own several Mausers and shoot them all the time. The round you found if it is an 8X57 is worth a couple of bucks. You can still get them by the case ever so often but most of them are split up for collectors.However that doesn't look like an 8X57 to me. Monty

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
Monty said:
The standard round for the German Army in WWII for use in their bolt action M98 Mauser Rifles (millions issued) was 8X57 Mauser. They also fired it in many of their machine guns. It is comparable to our M1 Garand which shoots a .30-06 round, except the German bullet has an 8mm bullet. I own several Mausers and shoot them all the time. The round you found if it is an 8X57 is worth a couple of bucks. You can still get them by the case ever so often but most of them are split up for collectors. However that doesn't look like an 8X57 to me. Monty

It's an 8x56... here is the photo.
8x56RmmAustrian.jpg

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jeff, didn't the Italians shoot the 8X56? I know they used the 6.5 Carcano like used to assasinate JFK.They were allies of the Germans early in the war. Perhaps the Germans manufactured some ammo for them? Also, the round pictured is semi-rimmed while the 8X57 Mauser is a rimless case. Would feed through a machine gun easier. I'm pretty sure it's an original round. I don't recall any copies being made, and I think it was made illegal to use the waffen stamps on any arms or ammo after the war. Many of the Mausers sold to other countries after the war had the eagle and swastika ground off. Monty

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
The 8x56R cartridge was used in the Austrian Steyr M95.

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
History of the 8 x 56 round.

The 8x56R cartridge was used by Austria-Hungary. Originally created for the Steyr-Solothurn light machine gun as the M30, it was later adopted for use in rifles in 1931 as the M31 to replace the 8 x 50 mmR cartridge. This ammunition was made at a variety of plants as well as countries, including Austria, Germany, Bulgaria and Czechoslovakia.

so there was a light machine gun that did use the 8 x 56. It was probably used in WWII.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread