1.8 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 92

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been on Treasure net for many years but never posted in paper currency forum. Here is a front and back pic of what appears to be an uncirculated $2 bill that was mailed, I think. Any thoughts out there as to why someone would mail a bill?

Thx, Steve
I have a bunch. No idea on value though.

gillious

Jul 17, 2015
Wayne County NY
Detector(s) used
2x Whites 5000d series 2, sears 5000d clone, 3x 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stamping on them has me very curious. There is a set of 3 sequential ones on ebay listed at $3500. 1976 was the first year of the new design after they were discontinued in 1966 according to that listing.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
April 13, 1976 was the date that the "new" $2 bills were released. To commemorate that, the US Postal Service allowed people to bring their $2 bills in, put a stamp on them, and cancel them to prove that they got the bills on the first day.
I remember going to the post office in Celoron, NY with my grandfather so he could get a bunch done. I have one of those that he had done that day.
Scott

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Unless you can find a collector willing to pay more, they are worth $2.00 each. Yes, there are scammers on eBay and other platforms touting them for hundreds, and an equal number of fools willing to pay that, but honest people on both sides of the sale are more realistic.

I inherited several. Curious about value, I asked about condition and professional grading. Every shop I went to had the same answer. Not worth the cost of grading, and very close to not worth the shipping cost. The most popular LCS in my area regularly has them available, sleeved but ungraded, for $3.50. He pays $2.00 each for date of issue stamped. Less if any sign of folds or damage. Despite the hype 45+ years ago, they are still generic $2 bills.

Time for more coffee.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
until 3 years ago I Could get Packets with Consecutive numbers of crisp $2.00 bills . The bank is now Empty, has changed it's name ,
moved to a New location, and all I was able to buy were well word ,
torn & Buggered green & red seals .
Haven't checked since if they got more.

not sure of the actual value of a stamped one.
first I saw one.

Interesting Serial Number :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread