1980s Treasure Hunter Phantom

Willgcm

Apr 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Questions

I recently bought one of the treasure hunter phantom metal detectors made by Richard ray the 1980s. Is there a owners manual for these or would you happen to know how it works?? Please contact me by email at [email protected]. Thank you for your time

NO Saint

Mar 31, 2022
Newark, Delaware
I have a Phanton Treasure Hunter that I recently bought at an auction. This being my first plunge into metal detectors, I thought I would try my hand at it.

I didn't know anything about the Phantom when I got, but it seems to be a kind of rare item. It doesn't work and from what I can see right off is one of the leads to the battery has come off. Ther may be other issues with it that are beyond my capabilities.

Madcat7

Mar 21, 2024
I just found this site through searching about this Treasure Hunter metal detector. I bought my Phantom in the 1980's from Richard at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, where he had a booth selling them one year. He gave me some instructions and a demo of how to use it, along with a cassette tape with instructions on how to set to discriminate different types of metals and what tones it makes for each.

I used it for many years with some successful finds. My favorite was finding an old Timex watch near downtown Houston. It was about six inches deep & when I dug it up & winded it up, it still worked! I always thought about sending the story to Timex for their "Takes a Licking but Keeps on Ticking" ad campaign, but never did. I used the Phantom for several years until I took it to the beach & one of the potentiometers seized up afterwards from exposure to the salt air.

I still have the Phantom, manual and instruction cassette & after seeing how great it was compared to what is available now at a reasonable price, I want to repair it. Also, after seeing all of the praise folks have given it, I really want to get it functional again. Now that Richard is gone (RIP sir) along with his business, the "lifetime warranty" no longer exists, but I was planning on repairing it myself anyway, if possible.

If anyone knows of a good place to take it around the Houston area in the event that it needs repair beyond the potentiometer replacement, please let me know. Thanks & Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread