30.6 KB · Views: 4,398
  • 1987 D silver color penny.jpg
    1987 D silver color penny.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2,416

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zinc comp. just never got the copper coating ( Error) but maybe someones science project to. Just take it to your local coins store to find out. HH Terry

Upvote 0

Mobes

Oct 4, 2007
Westmont IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Could be nickel or chrome plated. My brother used to work for a plating company and they used to plate pennys and attach them to buisness cards for people to see thier work.

Upvote 1

Mr.Don

Jun 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
June 13th, 2015. I just found a 1987 D penny in the ashtray of my old Corolla I intend to sell. It has been in there for years, me thinking it was simply a '43 steel and something I would "deal with later". I also found an 11 year old Five dollar bill! At first I thought "Science Experiment" then I looked it up and found you good people. Any new ideas on this? I mean the SAME YEAR science experiment? What gives? I collect Morgans but always check my change. Mr. Don

Upvote 0

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this one for some time............

1995 Obverse.JPG 1995 Reverse.JPG

Someone here suggested it was treated with a drop of acid...........my LCS doesn't know for sure, either..............

Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just set one on the wood stove next winter

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Had Hg poured on it...

Mercury. Used to do it all the time when teaching Chemistry for 25+ years

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cw0909

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
funny i was thinking about that penny, the other day, i painted and
moved my desk now cant find it

Upvote 0

ikanikon

Dec 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is this a fake coin???
seems real enough to me, have never seen a silver
colored penny, except the 40s one. maganet does not stick
i think it is same metal, a nickel is made of.
i put the second pic up i think, it is a better scan, as i could not get a good pic
of the penny

I will never understand why people come onto blogs to get advice from random uneducated morons who make up stuff off the top of their heads to answer serious questions.

"Your silver penny may be a real error this is done when a blank dime was pressed with penny dies. It is a rare example and the average Red Book value is $1,00000. A 1960 silver penny was recently sold on eBay for $90100." ~Coined For Money (i got this off a 1-second Google search and it is a million times better answer than any of the others on this "treasure" blog.)

Don't believe everything people tell you because your brain is fully capable of decifering actual fact from made up fiction. Your coin COULD be a counterfeit, it COULD be an accident, it COULD be a promotion that was given away as a free gift for marketing purposes, it COULD be worth a fortune. The ONLY way you CAN EVER KNOW is to bring it to an actual professional who has the tools, the experience, and the connections to get to the bottom of the authenticity and value of the coin.

Would you walk up to a random person on the street to ask them for their advice on the value of your Maserati? would you expect that person to actually have any concept of the true value of your car? i think not. but people come to blogs online all the time to get advice on diseases, suicide, and all sorts of important topics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to your reputable local coin collector shop and ask the person who has been in the coin industry for 30 years what they think because they will give you an EDUCATED ANSWER.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I will never understand why people come onto blogs to get advice from random uneducated morons who make up stuff off the top of their heads to answer serious questions. Especially ones with only 1 post.

Upvote 1

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will never understand why people come onto blogs to get advice from random uneducated morons who make up stuff off the top of their heads to answer serious questions.

"Your silver penny may be a real error this is done when a blank dime was pressed with penny dies. It is a rare example and the average Red Book value is $1,00000. A 1960 silver penny was recently sold on eBay for $90100." ~Coined For Money (i got this off a 1-second Google search and it is a million times better answer than any of the others on this "treasure" blog.)

Don't believe everything people tell you because your brain is fully capable of decifering actual fact from made up fiction. Your coin COULD be a counterfeit, it COULD be an accident, it COULD be a promotion that was given away as a free gift for marketing purposes, it COULD be worth a fortune. The ONLY way you CAN EVER KNOW is to bring it to an actual professional who has the tools, the experience, and the connections to get to the bottom of the authenticity and value of the coin.

Would you walk up to a random person on the street to ask them for their advice on the value of your Maserati? would you expect that person to actually have any concept of the true value of your car? i think not. but people come to blogs online all the time to get advice on diseases, suicide, and all sorts of important topics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to your reputable local coin collector shop and ask the person who has been in the coin industry for 30 years what they think because they will give you an EDUCATED ANSWER.

Good luck.

Dink and dong

Upvote 1

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And by the way I would trust the consensus here before any individual coin dealer.

Upvote 1

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uneducated Morons?
WOW
I also cant wait to see his second post, if he dares
Surprised his post is still up
Just an uneducated moron