1oz Silver Ingot Underwater, Sterling ring, 2 wheats and a Hair Tonic Bottle

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I zeroed in on this place because of the Victorian bridge and ability to get into the water easily. Well I have yet to find anything actually Victorian. But did score a brass buckle, a 1930s hair tonic bottle, a 925 ring (diamond is fake), bunch of clad, fishing lures, fishing weights ( I like the two home made ones) and what believe it or not is a 1oz silver ingot! Was in about a foot of water with strong current. Not easy to swing a detector. High tone maxed out at 38 on the equinox. But then jumped to iron. Hmmm. I was intrigued and tired of digging clad so I gave it a shot. Iron ended up being a bolt from the bridge. But the high tone stayed and jumped between 33 and 36. Out came a non discript bar of a heavy metal. Pretty pitted from knocking around the waterway in the rocks and gravel for who knows how long. Absolutely no signs of markings. But a few science experiments confirmed it's silver. I was a physics major in college so without a proper test kit this is what I came up with. It weights just over 1 oz, tarnishes almost instantly if you put a dot of bleach on it, melts ice really fast a room temperature and displays paramagnetic behavior. So we have a highly thermally conductive metal, non magnetic but displays paramagnetic properties, weak magnetic attraction in strong magnetic fields ( I slid bar down a 295 pound pull neodymium magnet and it slides very slowly) and it oxidizes really fast in the presence of sodium hypochlorite. Seems like silver to me. Have no idea how it got there but I'm going with Victorian carriage robbery Haha.

Attachments

• 20210919_232258.jpg
    20210919_232258.jpg
    965.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 20210918_160944.jpg
    20210918_160944.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 193
  • 20210914_155230.jpg
    20210914_155230.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
Upvote 19

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! That ingot is a great find! I really love the old fishing weights too!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on the recoveries of the silver ring and ingot.

Another test for silver is to rub your finger on the piece, should leave a dark stain on the skin, and smell like sulphur.
Another is to just wet-wrap it in tin foil, should heat up right quick and stink like rotten egg farts real quick.

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would really love to know how it got there. Going back today to look for the rest of the bars and maybe a gold one Haha. That'd be a major find a pile of silver ingots. It's kind of a hike and I'm working 4 to midnight now so if I go anywhere farther away b4 work it's a Monday when I can go to bed early Sunday.

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! Cool science idea!

Corvus

Jun 15, 2019
MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver bar may have been originally in a bezel frame and worn as a pendant. I found a 1oz round with the same on a sterling chain - for Weight Watchers.

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone. Was not expecting it at all. Melts ice faster than a 90% silver quarter so it maybe a higher purity though I'd have get the acid test kit to be sure. Went back yesterday. Sadly no silver bar spill. The usual clad, lead fishing weights and bullet fragments but found a nice brass buckle. Miles of creek to cover so I've got a lot of ground to walk. Especially near the older home sites. 20210920_142650.jpg

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done on the recoveries of the silver ring and ingot.

Another test for silver is to rub your finger on the piece, should leave a dark stain on the skin, and smell like sulphur.
Another is to just wet-wrap it in tin foil, should heat up right quick and stink like rotten egg farts real quick.

pepperj,rotten egg farts?Really?:notworthy::occasion18::tongue3:

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, but a simple silver acid test would confirm or deny.

aj

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. Still plan on getting a tester. No magnet, ice cube or bleach will tell me what the purity is.

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thats a good spot
It is. Because it flooded a week ago and something incredible happened there yesterday. Queue suspenseful music. Will be a new post though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions