1st Annual Shipwreck Search, Survey and Salvage Symposium

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi folks!
A little sneak peak into a new project that some might be interested in attending this coming fall.
In November, in a town somewhere nearby, we will be hosting the First Annual Shipwreck Search, Survey and Salvage Symposium.
Very briefly, we are planning a 2 day event on the second or third weekend of November in a facility that will be accommodate at least 200 people.
Tentatively, we are looking at a schedule something like this:
Saturday AM: Coffee and greetings followed by 2 or 3 or 4 presenters on The History of the Treasure Fleets, from China to the Americas and beyond.
Saturday PM: Presenters on the discovery and salvage of the treasure ships/fleets.
Sunday AM: Invited presenters from undersea sensing companies like Marine Magnetics, Marine Sonic, Geometrics, Kongsburg, etc on the latest and great equipment and techniques to use to find shipwrecks.
Sunday PM: Presenters discussing how to use geophysical sensing gear and other technologies to locate, evaluate, record and recover shipwreck materials.
There will be a charge to attend since there are many costs involved with this sort of venture, probably around $100-125 unless my cost estimates are all awry.
DVDs of the symposium may be available.
Please like the post, comment or drop me a message if you have any interest in attending or ideas on how it could be improved, speakers etc...
Thanks !!.
60821789_2799308543444112_2076754036375158784_n.jpg

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It depends on the venue. I hope to be able to have lunch served on site so as to maximize the amount of time for networking, etc. and minimize wasted time wait for folks to get back from lunch.
Alternatively, you can bring a ham sammmich, Pete. :)

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After having travelled from Australia in 1984 and 1985 to the Greater Fort Lauderdale Shipwreck Symposium, I look forward to another great convention. Please consider not having it the weekend of Nov 16 and 17. Nov 9 and 10 would be great. Can someone find something big in the week prior to the event like what happened in 1985. Could you invite some potential venture capital investors and have some treasure hunters put on a 10 minute presentation each to either critique or invest something like Shark Tank.
Ok I'll stop being pushy!!

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We might try to host it at FIT, if they are interested. They have an oceanographic engineering program there, and Melbourne has plenty of hotel space with direct flights to their airport.

Jul 16, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bill! Congrats on your efforts. I'll be happy to attend. Let me know if I can help you in any way. Best regards,

Herman Moro
Marine Archaeology International

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I was suggesting not on the 16th and 17th is the fact that it would conflict with DEMA(Diving Equipment Manufacturers Assoc) convention(Nov 13-16) in Orlando. I just talked to JW Fishers and could possibly put on a display the weekend before Nov 9 and 10. Also 16th and 17th is the final Nascar race for the season in Homestead. Dive shop personal might come to Florida for the whole week if they could fit the symposium and DEMA in together.
No really I am not trying to be pushy, just giving you more info!!!
Jack D

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
We might try to host it at FIT, if they are interested. They have an oceanographic engineering program there, and Melbourne has plenty of hotel space with direct flights to their airport.

FIT is a great venue for something like this.

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Enrada...thank you for pointing out that date conflict. It will either be the weekend before or the weekend after. That would be great if JW Fisher would attend. It's always a gamble to try to figure out whether to plan for 40 or 400....
I'll have to think about the Shark Tank idea, I've been told that some of the conversations at one of the early ones bordered on a sharknado....I was thinking that we might be a little more...ummm....reserved.
There may well have to be a booze and schmooze hour (or two).

Everyone, please, do not be afraid to throw out an idea or two...Enrada just made my life easier and the Symposium better with a suggestion. We may or may not use your idea....or it might make a huge difference in the result.
Thanks for participating in the process!

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sharknado
I think what happened on July 20th 1985 caused the Media to swarm the July 30th 1985 Symposium. At last years Bar-b-que someone was selling a poster from that Symposium with a number of signatures of those who attended. It brought back some great memories. I recall it being much bigger than I had anticipated having attended the 1984 one also held at the Bahia Mar. I feel that we will need to reach out to the media if we hope to counter underwater treasure hunting from being hijacked by Archies and gov regulations. If we embrace the media with our desire to work together with Archies we may be able to make some progress towards cooperation. I fully understand your dilemma of not knowing whether to plan for 40 or 400. Myself I encourage a venue that may allow a larger symposium that might display the sheer size of the industry and the impact that the industry has on tourism to the State of Florida and other countries around the world. I would consider putting together a display of the benefits for countries throughout the world of opting out of the UNESCO L of the S deal.
Bill, please feel free to PM me if you have an area that you would like help exploring or putting together.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Nice one. John (who I haven´t seen since UNESCO's meeting back in 2017, in Paris) is right: that gap is never going to get bridged.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAI..Herman...you still in VI?

I have an op and will be a Crusan for about 18 months.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xaos, I'm based in Florida and I'm not planning to be in the USVI for a while. Tell us about your project is St. Croix please. Is it shipwreck related?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill,

Just my two cents but I believe that the Shipwreck Search, Survey and Salvage Symposium would be a big hit with Treasure Salvors, the Public and Investors if you were able to secure a facility large enough to make it like a Sportsman's Show or Boat/Fishing Show. You would need a very large auditorium or even outside space for Vendors to show (display) and sell their' wares within reason. Of course, Vendors with craft could not bring a 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, etc., etc. foot boat/ship inside but may be able to place some on the outside but still have booths/tables on the inside with all of the pertinent info. The facility would also need a large Banquet type room which could accommodate 200 or more folks attending but still might have to have the Presenters/Speakers give more than one presentation/talk per day to allow all of those who are interested to have a chance to hear and see everything that is being presented and listen to all of the speakers and at the same time, learn tons of info on the History of the Treasure Fleets, the Treasure Salvor business and the equipment used and/or available to Salvors and anyone interested. By getting lots of Vendors onboard for such a Show/Symposium and charging them a fee that is agreeable and not overboard, would cut down on the cost for entry of all of the attendees which will help in getting more people to attend. Also, with such a large Show/Symposium, you might be able to get the facilities somewhat cheaper due to the amount of free advertising/publicity and notoriety they will be getting and you might be able to get donations of money or items from local businesses for giveaways as Door Prizes or Drawings on sold tickets. The Hotels and Lodges within 30 miles or so, might even give special rates to the Attendees, Vendors and Presenters/Speakers for simple plugs (advertising) by placing their' business info for everyone to see at the Show/Symposium.

Also, although I know that this would be an event to educate the Public, Investors and all interested parties about the Treasure Fleets and the Treasure Salvor business and one would not want to pee on the Archies cheerios, I think that it would still be a good time to discuss how to overcome the State of Florida's blocking/cancelling and interference in obtaining Search and Salvage Permits.

Good luck and thanks to you and everyone that will be making this happen!

Frank

Last edited:

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody have any updates? For those of us who have to travel by air etc we can get cheap tickets if we can book 3 to 4 months in advance. Still hoping for Nov 9-10 just before DEMA (Nov 15-17?) in Orlando and just after Sedwicks auction in Orlando Nov 2-3. Also plan on attending NASCAR Homestead Nov 17-18. Also companies wishing to set up a display like the Nov 9-10 date to fit in with DEMA.

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mistake on the dates;
Sedwick treasure auction. Nov 1-2
DEMA. Nov 13-15
Nascar Homestead. Nov 16-18

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread