2 Center and a Nice Buckle.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted today for about 4 hours in the blazing sun. Brought 6 quart bottles of gatorade with me and drank 3 of them and still got light headed and almost passed out. Had to rest for a while in the shade before I drove home. My buddy and I were at an early to mid 1800s house but the early artifacts were few and far between. Must have been hunted before.. although not recently due to the large amount of modern change found. About 15 minutes into the hunt I turned up a nice 1865 2 cent piece from about 5-6 inches. We were both thinking this was a great sign as to what this place might give up.

001.JPG 002.JPG

003.JPG 007.JPG

Continued the hunt and wasn't finding any more old coins or relics for a while but then I dug a sweet piece of a silver plated buckle in the front yard near the walkway leading up to the house. Saw the front of the buckle first and was thinking solid silver until I saw the back of it. The plating didn't seem to flake off at all on the front and it has a nice ornate design.

004.JPG 005.JPG

013.JPG 014.JPG

The only other old relic I recovered for the day was this huge flat button. It was only at 4 inches deep so I'm at a loss as to why there weren't more older things recovered here.

010.JPG 011.JPG

012.JPG

And lastly a picture of the junk/modern coinage recovered here.

009.JPG

Thanks for looking. Hope everyone stayed cool today.

Upvote 6

White Akuma

May 2, 2012
Dolly Sods, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
ATGOLD!!
xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Lol, must be one of those 2 cent'r days. Grats! Any chance of design on the flat button?The first 2 cent'r I found actually had a soder point on the back where it looked like it'd been made into a flat button. Be neat if that was a LC done like that.

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The thing(s) about hydration that most people don't know: what you are drinking right now is not really helping you. The fluid you took in last night and several hours prior to your strenuous activity are what make the difference. Always always always hydrate the night before if you can.
Gatorade, while it tastes good and does quench your thirst contains a lot of sugar which doesn't really help you hydrate much. Yes it contains water and salt and the sugar becomes short term energy, but water is your best bet.
If you are drinking water because you are thirsty you are ALREADY DEHYDRATED. When I go out detecting or hiking or whatever, I force myself to consume a minimum of 1 quart of water per hour...sometimes more. Yes I hae to stop to pee a lot, but as long as my pee is "Clear and Copious" I know I'm doing ok.
After a few trips to the deserts of the middle east I have learned a new appreciation for water and staying hydrated.

All of that being said....way to go on that 2 cent piece!!!! Flat buttons are so cool, I'm still hunting for my first one.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing(s) about hydration that most people don't know: what you are drinking right now is not really helping you. The fluid you took in last night and several hours prior to your strenuous activity are what make the difference. Always always always hydrate the night before if you can.
Gatorade, while it tastes good and does quench your thirst contains a lot of sugar which doesn't really help you hydrate much. Yes it contains water and salt and the sugar becomes short term energy, but water is your best bet.
If you are drinking water because you are thirsty you are ALREADY DEHYDRATED. When I go out detecting or hiking or whatever, I force myself to consume a minimum of 1 quart of water per hour...sometimes more. Yes I hae to stop to pee a lot, but as long as my pee is "Clear and Copious" I know I'm doing ok.
After a few trips to the deserts of the middle east I have learned a new appreciation for water and staying hydrated.

All of that being said....way to go on that 2 cent piece!!!! Flat buttons are so cool, I'm still hunting for my first one.
That's true. And on that note I probably shouldn't have had all those beers while watching the Packers Seahawks game last night. :laughing7:

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now I never said don't enjoy some beer while watching the seahawks stomping some butts!!! Perhaps I enjoyed quite a few as well! It doesn't do much for maintaining proper hydration tho...lol.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt...I love them 2centers..
There my favorite coins..
George

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt, I wouldn't be disappointed, look like great finds to me. Maybe they didn't lose things?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the two center! Your buckle is part of a late 18th century shoe buckle. It would have been a beauty if whole!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
some people lose more things than others, I am beginning to think the people were so poor around here that they didn't have anything to lose back then. LOL, or, I just haven't found the right spot yet or, both! but you did find something good

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Lol, must be one of those 2 cent'r days. Grats! Any chance of design on the flat button?The first 2 cent'r I found actually had a soder point on the back where it looked like it'd been made into a flat button. Be neat if that was a LC done like that.
I didn't see any design on it... no matter how hard I looked. One of these days I'll find a large button that is actually a GW. That would certainly make my day.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That site probably was hunted prior to you and it's a real shame. That buckle is a beauty and that is a very early button. It always kills me to think about all of the great stuff that was dig years before I was even old enough to swing a machine. Great hunt buddy.... Drink water, lots of water. No sugary drinks. And DO NOT give up on the beers.... Ever

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That site probably was hunted prior to you and it's a real shame. That buckle is a beauty and that is a very early button. It always kills me to think about all of the great stuff that was dig years before I was even old enough to swing a machine. Great hunt buddy.... Drink water, lots of water. No sugary drinks. And DO NOT give up on the beers.... Ever
I know the sugary drinks aren't the best but they taste so darn good. :laughing7:... and like Hendo0601 said above it wouldn't have mattered anyway because I didn't really hydrate properly beforehand. I like your last piece of advice. :thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel as Steve does about the buckle, what a beauty it would have been complete. I'm as sorry as you are that it is broke.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds and I hear you on that heat.
I hunted for about an hour and I was drenched. That was after working all day with a busted AC unit in our shop. It was 101 degrees in there. I'm freakin' exhausted now.

That heat just takes it right out of you. But hydration is the key. The Gatorade is a godsend.
Congrats.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel as Steve does about the buckle, what a beauty it would have been complete. I'm as sorry as you are that it is broke.
I certainly feel the same way you and Steve do about that buckle. Would have been a great looking one if it were whole. My initial reaction looked a little like this. :headbang:... and then it quickly morphed into this..:censored::BangHead:

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The two center is a fabulous find. I wish your buckle had been solid silver and complete!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread