2” dredge

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i AGREE with ratled on this ! BUT get with someone that has been dredging for some time and be his "goffer" for sometime to learn the in's an out's in dredging smart ! I had several dredge's (2" /3"/and several 4 inch dredges and I was building a 5 inch when I had to give it up for health reason's and I regret it ever since !

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is a 2” dredge a good starter dredge
A 2" dredge is designed to clean out cracks on clean bedrock. This is its only purpose.
For moving material and normal dredging, generally a 4" is considered the best starting size.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Southern part of my state, DIY backpack 2" dredges were popular for wading shallow streams. I think the idea was to work crevices on bedrock but had to be connected to part in water.

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i AGREE with ratled on this ! BUT get with someone that has been dredging for some time and be his "goffer" for sometime to learn the in's an out's in dredging smart ! I had several dredge's (2" /3"/and several 4 inch dredges and I was building a 5 inch when I had to give it up for health reason's and I regret it ever since !
If you list about where you are at maybe there is someone here who can take you under their wing. I'm SURE you would be better off running someone else's equipment first to see what you NEED and like

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The price of a new 2” you can easily find a used 4”, but as others have mentioned here I wouldn’t go into this purchase blind I highly recommend finding a friend to dredge a little with figure out what you need, also dredging by yourself is lame I have done it many years it’s not safe and you need to work your butt off to see money unless you’re in a killer spot. I broke my leg dredging by myself it made for a really shitty few days. Unless you have a ton of bedrock to clean you can outpace a 2” dredge with a stream sluice and a shovel and get better gold recovery. You can also run a small hose into a larger hose and attack those cracks.

OP
OP
D

Don Barton

Mar 27, 2022
The price of a new 2” you can easily find a used 4”, but as others have mentioned here I wouldn’t go into this purchase blind I highly recommend finding a friend to dredge a little with figure out what you need, also dredging by yourself is lame I have done it many years it’s not safe and you need to work your butt off to see money unless you’re in a killer spot. I broke my leg dredging by myself it made for a really shitty few days. Unless you have a ton of bedrock to clean you can outpace a 2” dredge with a stream sluice and a shovel and get better gold recovery. You can also run a small hose into a larger hose and attack those cracks.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My first dredge was a 3" and it nearly worked me to death. Anything that will not fit up the hose must be moved by hand. Om our first trip out we dug a 10 yard hole and it took us a week of insane labor. Fast forward...we now have a 5" and that same hole is done in half a day.

Papa-t

Greenie
Apr 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to own a 2” backpack dredge from Keene. Worked good for small creeks but I had to put a guard on the nozzle. Nozzle stopped up easily. Also owned a 3” power sluice dredge. Had gold hog matting in it. It got the gold. Ending up selling it due to back injury’s. Hope this helped.

Mysterious Outdoors

Jul 16, 2022
NW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250...looking into a Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a 2.5 pro line dredge/highbanker combo and it has been great. You can use a shovel or a suction hose.

Attachments

• dh_combo_access_float_kits_lg.jpg
    dh_combo_access_float_kits_lg.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
D

Don Barton

Mar 27, 2022
I use to own a 2” backpack dredge from Keene. Worked good for small creeks but I had to put a guard on the nozzle. Nozzle stopped up easily. Also owned a 3” power sluice dredge. Had gold hog matting in it. It got the gold. Ending up selling it due to back injury’s. Hope this helped.
Thank you sir I do have a guard on my nozzle haven’t tried it yet too hot

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too Hot???!!!! Thats the best time. Cool water on hot days with warm evenings.... throw in a few good friends and its better than a baseball field in Iowa! And after a good day dredging the food always tastes good

OP
OP
D

Don Barton

Mar 27, 2022
Too Hot???!!!! Thats the best time. Cool water on hot days with warm evenings.... throw in a few good friends and its better than a baseball field in Iowa! And after a good day dredging the food always tastes good
That sounds good might just try that so far I can only dredge at Alabama Gold Camp I don’t know any private land owners on a creek thanks for the reply

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a small clay bottom creek with fair gold for my area running through my property. The clay bottom is exposed in some areas and under no more than 3 feet of gravel in other areas. I have a large highbanker that I plan on converting to a 2 inch dredge. I think several people can shovel the gravel overburden into the dredge while the person on the dredge nozzle cleans the clay surface. If this works like I think it will, the 2 inch should do well for me.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Using a 2 inch high banker converted to a 2 inch dredge with 1 guy on the nozzle and using several people shoveling into it would be a MAJOR overload for that device ! Depending on the type of material your shoveling , 1 man with a shovel max's out a 2 inch system ,any more would be way to much !

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
The AGC is a good place to go ! they have small cabins to rent and plenty of trailer or tent spaces . and it's cool down by the stream and in the shade of tree's . the staff there is /was when I was there real nice and helpful !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions