2 Reale in a public park!!!

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to hunt a local park this morning with my new Etrac. The ground is freezing up here and I wanted to get out before it’s totally frozen. Since I needed 1 more silver to make 100, I went to the oldest park around, from the 1840s. I went out with low expectations, since I know the park has been pounded over the years. After hunting for about an hour and not finding anything I was getting discouraged. As I was about to head back to the car, I got a very deep, VERY iffy high tone. I told myself Hey maybe they missed a rosie or something. So I dug a nice 7 inch plug and in the plug my pinpointer went off: 1 rusty nail. I rechecked the hole and got an even better high tone. I dug down to about 8 or 9 inches and out came another rusty nail. Then the most beautiful 12-45 signal sang into my ears and I eagerly dug down. At 10 and a half inches: Silver coin edge! I carefully took it out of the hole and got out my spray bottle. It seemed oddly thin for a silver quarter. As the dirt came off the coin I could not believe my eyes and yelled “HOLY $!@?” I got a couple of weird looks but I didn’t care. SPANISH SILVER!!!! I threw down my headphones and ran around doing a happy dance. My 100th silver and I could not have asked for a better one. I quickly ran home to clean it. Turns out it’s from the 1730s from the reign of King Philip 5 of Spain! My oldest coin I’ve ever found! What a way to end the year. I could not get any “in situ” pics because I was shaking so bad! But here are some from when I got home. Thanks for looking! 25C35A05-C5BA-4AF2-A8E1-03DA4B012252.jpeg B870A0AE-C2E0-44B1-8806-D791B120FAFB.jpeg 0E2A9D7A-BB9C-410E-8376-FAB5516F16CE.jpeg

Upvote 68

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so I'm not sure it will make it or not but I nominated the post for banner just on the story alone - you told it perfectly!

I love hearing stories of detectorists going back to a spot that is "hunted out" and finding another coin
AND THIS COIN is absolutely incredible! I've found the 'last find' is sometimes the 'best find' and I bet this is the case with your park - incredible find and great story thanks for sharing it!

for me, this is what metal detecting is all about!

vp
I will as well... not to mention the rarity of finding a 1730s in Iowa of all places!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you seem to be a Pistareen magnet. One in Florida and now one in Iowa!

OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Relics Ron

Dec 28, 2020
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab: CTX3030, Equinox 800, GPX5000. XP: Deus WS5. Nokta Makro: Anfibio Multi. Whites: TDI Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! What a find!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First Spanish I can recall being found outside of the east coast, Ohio, Kentucky area and I certainly wasnt expecting the first to be a Pistareen. Didnt even know these were still in circulation much after 1773 when the 90% silver portrait reales flooded the economy.

Last edited:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! One like that is still on my bucket list, but highly unlikely find in the western mountains! Thanks for sharing.

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You, are the luckiest detectorist I have seen in my ten years from good ol Iowa and Nebraska...great job on an outstanding find. So tired of reading the posts from people out east who dig up 1700s coins all day long. Oldest coin my friends and I have dug is an 1830 large cent. What you found is no doubt IOWA HISTORY...the early french settlers and fur traders. Am from Fort Dodge...you made my day knowing that there are still coins like that around ! Dave C.

OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You, are the luckiest detectorist I have seen in my ten years from good ol Iowa and Nebraska...great job on an outstanding find. So tired of reading the posts from people out east who dig up 1700s coins all day long. Oldest coin my friends and I have dug is an 1830 large cent. What you found is no doubt IOWA HISTORY...the early french settlers and fur traders. Am from Fort Dodge...you made my day knowing that there are still coins like that around ! Dave C.

Thanks! I’m at the other corner of the state..

Taladeganite

Feb 4, 2020
Antioch, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Mine lab go find 40/60/whites classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
far out man. No doubt you were totally shocked to see that. congrats!

OP
OP
Coinboy

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boom!!!! What a way to close out on the century :icon_thumleft:

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Omaha, what county did you dig up that treasure ? Have hunted a lot of western Iowa counties along the Mormon trail, but no bucket listers yet

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find for sure. It is not every day you dig one of those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread