Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went camping with the scouts last weekend and went to a ball field picnic area and got a few hours to swing the CZ21. The area is not used much anymore, but I have found a few goodies in the past. This time in 2.5 hours I managed 16 coins with a face value of $1.30, a buckle, a token, a leaf that looks like it might have been the decorative end of a curtain rod, a few tabs, cans and slaw. Not pictured is a toasted wheatie I gave to one of the leaders for his daughter who is starting to collect pennies.

4EB39F1F-432B-45CD-B5E8-66D6FD04FF3F.jpeg

The token is for PLAYLAND HAGERATOWN MARYLAND. On the other side it has a large clown face and says FAMILY AMUSEMENT CENTER. I’m not sure of the age, but I believe it has been closed for a good while now.

18FBAC87-EFFD-44A8-858C-C775B3E0C184.jpeg

I went back to one of the schools for 6 hours of swingin old faithful CZ21 and managed to find 154 coins with a face value of $8.81, 2 rings (one acid destroyed and a plastic eyeball find), a fishing lure, a silver quarter, 3 wheaties, a Canadian nickel, lots of tabs, some slaw and miscellaneous junk.

BFA6DBB7-5C2E-463E-8335-F0BA9CF802FB.jpeg

The silver quarter was a nice find. I haven’t found one in a while and this one happens to be from my birth year, a 1950D. The wheaties are 1940, 1941, 1956D. The wheaties will go to the guy I gave the toasted wheatie to.

3DAD400D-83EE-4678-98B6-08BD72CE2BF8.jpeg

You may notice the 3 railroad spikes in the junk box. I have found about 12 of them on this school field. When my coil goes over them I know that I am detecting large ferrous metal so you might be asking why dig them if you know that? The answer is simply. The large junky targets can mask better targets. By clearing the big stuff you can detect the smaller better stuff. In this case 2 of the spikes were in the same hole. After I got them out I swung the detector over the hole and got a coin signal. With my pinpointer I found and scooped out 3 quarters, 3 dimes and a nickel. So I am $1.10 better off because I removed the big iron. It doesn’t always happen that well, sometimes is silver or gold. To me that makes it worth clearing some junk.

2FB5D3AA-8A84-46E2-8F16-44954DE3B476.jpeg

I went back to the good permission that has been producing all the wheat. I continued on my grid, but after about a half an hour one of the tenants came out and asked if I had permission to be there. I said I did and named the landlord. He seemed mad about something and said I was too close to his window and I shouldn’t be allowed to be there. (The window is 7 feet off the ground and the shades were closed). About 5 minutes later the landlord called and he said I should probably leave so I did. I talked to the landlord later and he said if I can wait a little while so the guy cools down I can come back and at least do the back yard if not the area I was in. The place is the best producer I have had for a while so I will wait.

In the half hour I was there I did find a 1918 merc, 2 wheaties 1944 and 1956D and a coal mine chit. I was on a roll, too bad I had to stop.

D41C8D77-5C36-4591-A2F3-7ED5DE7FA580.jpeg

21782240-EB3E-4159-B059-08E6D2BEBDF3.jpeg

So I moved to an area where the city has demolished some houses and I have permission to detect. I did some while the houses were still standing, but they are down now so I have to detect around the demolition trash. In 3.5 hours I found 89 coins with a face value of $3.60 (70 pennies), a live rifle round, a brass bangle, a piece sign charm, a Wilcox Pocket Ben in junk shape, 2 wheaties (1956, 1912) a whistle, an aluminum 1/2 teaspoon , tabs and junk.

8FA492A0-5EED-4EA3-9F9B-A537ADF39FE5.jpeg

I had a little time left so I went to a playground that I have covered pretty well, but there was a spot I wanted to check. When I got there I discovered they have built a new concession stand where the old one was and dug up a lot of the ground. They were actually working when I got there. I was able to check a big dirt pile and a few other spots where they were not working. In 1 hour I found a marble, 12 coins with a face value of $0.29 and some tabs. Not a great day, but silver at least and a decent pile of clad.

3D32B07C-7A8D-40FE-A797-33B17F4AB497.jpeg

I took my weekly ride up to the scout camp and spent 6 hours swingin in the rain. It was only supposed to shower for an hour or 2 and ended up raining from start to finish.

I managed to find 178 coins with a face value of $10.18 (108 Pennie’s), 16 camp tent pegs (smallest number ever), a rope tensioner, 2 balloon clad coins, a brass equipment ring, 1 sinker and lots of melted aluminum from the fire pits.

1E52BCED-0577-47ED-8345-44937BFD5B4D.jpeg

AA40F4CF-D9F4-490E-BEDC-E2210E45BDC9.jpeg

The balloon coins are clad coins that got super heated in the fire pit. The heat separates the clad layers and gas builds up causing the coins to swell. They are interesting to find but worthless.

330A4DBF-5031-4114-9B5E-87CF2FBF37B8.jpeg A8061128-F172-4F95-8C28-F24BE8FC371B.jpeg

To finish the week I went to the old picnic ground. It has a football field, picnic area, grass parking area and a hay field adjacent to it that is owned by the same person. I spent a few hours in the hay field before it starts growing and gets too tall to detect in and then I went down to the football picnic area for the rest of the hunt.

I only found one wheat penny in the hay field, but I did find the flat buttons and rivets there and I have found silver in the past. In 5 hours of swingin I found 18 coins with a face value of $0.99, a ring, 2 wheaties, 2 flat buttons (a cuff with erect shank and a paper thin one with no shank and a little silver plating still on it), 2 copper rivets, a bale seal beer bottle cap with rubber in tact, a toy car, a weird hammer, can slaw and tabs.

39086449-856A-4349-821C-4EBD27250FE0.jpeg

7A024DDF-F12C-4C41-889B-92C25E318652.jpeg

A2A91116-20A7-454D-B689-1E06C1E35E7F.jpeg

The ring looked good at first, but closer inspection showed it was plated. Marked 18k GF S/AI. After I got it home and rinsed it off the gold started flaking off. Gold, but just barely (no value).

C2556086-2C2A-4351-8CA0-5EEA4B10BFFE.jpeg

92D66A30-F3B6-485E-A2CF-ACC99B73011C.jpeg

So another busy week with enough goodies to keep me motivated and lots of outdoor exercise to keep me healthy. Too bad a lot of the exercise was digging all those pennies. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 9

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some nice silvers, and good for you to be out there hammering it, even in less than lovely conditions!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went camping with the scouts last weekend and went to a ball field picnic area and got a few hours to swing the CZ21. The area is not used much anymore, but I have found a few goodies in the past. This time in 2.5 hours I managed 16 coins with a face value of $1.30, a buckle, a token, a leaf that looks like it might have been the decorative end of a curtain rod, a few tabs, cans and slaw. Not pictured is a toasted wheatie I gave to one of the leaders for his daughter who is starting to collect pennies.

View attachment 2017318

The token is for PLAYLAND HAGERATOWN MARYLAND. On the other side it has a large clown face and says FAMILY AMUSEMENT CENTER. I’m not sure of the age, but I believe it has been closed for a good while now.

View attachment 2017319

I went back to one of the schools for 6 hours of swingin old faithful CZ21 and managed to find 154 coins with a face value of $8.81, 2 rings (one acid destroyed and a plastic eyeball find), a fishing lure, a silver quarter, 3 wheaties, a Canadian nickel, lots of tabs, some slaw and miscellaneous junk.

View attachment 2017320

The silver quarter was a nice find. I haven’t found one in a while and this one happens to be from my birth year, a 1950D. The wheaties are 1940, 1941, 1956D. The wheaties will go to the guy I gave the toasted wheatie to.

View attachment 2017321

You may notice the 3 railroad spikes in the junk box. I have found about 12 of them on this school field. When my coil goes over them I know that I am detecting large ferrous metal so you might be asking why dig them if you know that? The answer is simply. The large junky targets can mask better targets. By clearing the big stuff you can detect the smaller better stuff. In this case 2 of the spikes were in the same hole. After I got them out I swung the detector over the hole and got a coin signal. With my pinpointer I found and scooped out 3 quarters, 3 dimes and a nickel. So I am $1.10 better off because I removed the big iron. It doesn’t always happen that well, sometimes is silver or gold. To me that makes it worth clearing some junk.

View attachment 2017334

I went back to the good permission that has been producing all the wheat. I continued on my grid, but after about a half an hour one of the tenants came out and asked if I had permission to be there. I said I did and named the landlord. He seemed mad about something and said I was too close to his window and I shouldn’t be allowed to be there. (The window is 7 feet off the ground and the shades were closed). About 5 minutes later the landlord called and he said I should probably leave so I did. I talked to the landlord later and he said if I can wait a little while so the guy cools down I can come back and at least do the back yard if not the area I was in. The place is the best producer I have had for a while so I will wait.

In the half hour I was there I did find a 1918 merc, 2 wheaties 1944 and 1956D and a coal mine chit. I was on a roll, too bad I had to stop.

View attachment 2017322

View attachment 2017317

So I moved to an area where the city has demolished some houses and I have permission to detect. I did some while the houses were still standing, but they are down now so I have to detect around the demolition trash. In 3.5 hours I found 89 coins with a face value of $3.60 (70 pennies), a live rifle round, a brass bangle, a piece sign charm, a Wilcox Pocket Ben in junk shape, 2 wheaties (1956, 1912) a whistle, an aluminum 1/2 teaspoon , tabs and junk.

View attachment 2017323

I had a little time left so I went to a playground that I have covered pretty well, but there was a spot I wanted to check. When I got there I discovered they have built a new concession stand where the old one was and dug up a lot of the ground. They were actually working when I got there. I was able to check a big dirt pile and a few other spots where they were not working. In 1 hour I found a marble, 12 coins with a face value of $0.29 and some tabs. Not a great day, but silver at least and a decent pile of clad.

View attachment 2017324

I took my weekly ride up to the scout camp and spent 6 hours swingin in the rain. It was only supposed to shower for an hour or 2 and ended up raining from start to finish.

I managed to find 178 coins with a face value of $10.18 (108 Pennie’s), 16 camp tent pegs (smallest number ever), a rope tensioner, 2 balloon clad coins, a brass equipment ring, 1 sinker and lots of melted aluminum from the fire pits.

View attachment 2017325

View attachment 2017326

The balloon coins are clad coins that got super heated in the fire pit. The heat separates the clad layers and gas builds up causing the coins to swell. They are interesting to find but worthless.

View attachment 2017327 View attachment 2017328

To finish the week I went to the old picnic ground. It has a football field, picnic area, grass parking area and a hay field adjacent to it that is owned by the same person. I spent a few hours in the hay field before it starts growing and gets too tall to detect in and then I went down to the football picnic area for the rest of the hunt.

I only found one wheat penny in the hay field, but I did find the flat buttons and rivets there and I have found silver in the past. In 5 hours of swingin I found 18 coins with a face value of $0.99, a ring, 2 wheaties, 2 flat buttons (a cuff with erect shank and a paper thin one with no shank and a little silver plating still on it), 2 copper rivets, a bale seal beer bottle cap with rubber in tact, a toy car, a weird hammer, can slaw and tabs.

View attachment 2017329

View attachment 2017333

View attachment 2017330

The ring looked good at first, but closer inspection showed it was plated. Marked 18k GF S/AI. After I got it home and rinsed it off the gold started flaking off. Gold, but just barely (no value).

View attachment 2017332

View attachment 2017331

So another busy week with enough goodies to keep me motivated and lots of outdoor exercise to keep me healthy. Too bad a lot of the exercise was digging all those pennies. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
you are crushing it, lots of cool finds and love that silver! Thanks for the detailed post

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2017318

View attachment 2017319

View attachment 2017320

View attachment 2017321

View attachment 2017334

View attachment 2017322

View attachment 2017317

View attachment 2017323

View attachment 2017324

View attachment 2017325

View attachment 2017326

View attachment 2017327 View attachment 2017328

View attachment 2017329

View attachment 2017333

View attachment 2017330

View attachment 2017332

View attachment 2017331

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Interesting on the balloon coins, thanks for the great post and grats to ya on the keepers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions