Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I decided it was time to go back to the picnic grounds. The lower field is used for a local peewee football league and the upper one is half parking and the other half is in hay. I was hoping they had mower the hay, that was not the case. I did a little swingin in the tall weeds, and did manage 2 coins and a bird band. Then I moved down to the lower field.

In 5 hours with the CZ21 I managed to find 61 coins with a face value of $5.40, a ring, 2 silver coins, a wheatie, 2 new keys, a bird band, a NO CASH VALUE token (WonderWorks), a toy skateboard in new condition, a little trash and the ever present pop tabs (mostly beaver tale type).

11EF04E0-00D0-4C5E-9065-46522B4D8F7F.jpeg

The silver Washington quarter is a 1956 that was found on the edge of the lower football field. The 1946 silver Rosie was found in the upper hay field where a high school football team used to practice in the last 50s and early 60s. I have found other silvers there as well as an Indian head and large cent along with miscellaneous older brass items (flat buttons, keg tap etc).

6468D015-2C12-4449-BF4C-143A7D29FC2B.jpeg

The ring looked good coming out of the ground, but it wasn’t marked as gold so I tested it and unfortunately it is a gold plated fashion ring. It was right on the surface under the grass and is in good shape.

A79F60A4-1D70-4A4B-B7F5-6CD873A6478A.jpeg

The bird band is my favorite find for this hunt. It is a 1932 West Virginia band. It is marked W. VA BWD, I’m not sure what BWD stands for. An internet search doesn’t turn up anything that works. The departments in the government have probably been renamed in the past 90 years. Maybe the Bird Watching Division of the department of natural resources.

AE48EA3C-1664-4AA5-8294-F51228FC64AE.jpeg

DAY 2
I managed to get to the scout camp this week. It was showery most of the time, but not too bad. I went to an area I haven’t been to for a while because it has been pretty well covered. I expanded the search further out into the woods and did a quick redo of some areas hoping for new losses.

In 6 hours with the CZ21 I found 143 coins with a face value of $7.44 (lots of coins but 84 are pennies), a Canadian penny and dime, year pin and a Webelos engineer pin, a hiking belt loop, what looks like the screw in end of a wooden tool handle (push broom, paint roller etc.), an aluminum carabiner, a sinker, a paint brush end, disposable lighter parts, a military blank cartridge, a canvas strap end, a little junk and a few can tabs.

7D895D4B-FB07-4BBB-9EA4-6110BE8F7787.jpeg

I found 2 tiny aluminum disks that I thought might be some kind of craft beads. But not too far away I found the flint wheel from a disposal lighter and realized that they were the outer wheels from a flint wheel. Nothing great, but it is nice to be able to identify the stuff we find.

69331F7B-742A-4F06-83AA-897EF5BB8244.jpeg

DAY 3
I got back to the civil war bullet school hoping for another goodie. Last trip I found a nice bucket lister so you never know.

I continued the grid where I found the belt plate last week. It was pretty quiet, very few targets of any kind and it took over an hour to find my first coin. It was drizzly and rainy the ground was slick and sticky so that every time I dug into the ground and recovered a target my gloves got so covered with muck that I had trouble separating the target from the muck and getting it into my pouch or finds box. So not the best conditions for detecting. I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 on the grid and doing a little wandering looking for promising spots.

All together I only found 32 coins with a face value of $1.77, an ornate piece of a plated spoon or fork handle, an Indian head penny, a button, 3 religious medals, 2 cheapie rings, a toy helicopter, a decorative latch, whole aluminum cans, the usual assortment of junk and a few can tabs.

FD6635CB-B020-4EFF-BC78-F8D4D9058489.jpeg

The Indian head penny is a 1906 and is a little crusty. When I saw the nice green edge coming out of the muddy dirt I suspected what it was. The button is a civil was artillery button and from the small size I would say it’s a cuff button. The acid soil is pretty hard on these buttons. This is only the second button from this site and both were cuff buttons. The other one came out of the ground in pieces. There is no backmark.

FC068D0D-E04B-420B-BDEF-7657AC1F9FD2.jpeg

3C9DFCBC-17FA-4BC1-9F47-B9E8F32E5064.jpeg

The religious medals are a common type of cheap medals. Nothing special. They were scattered in a relatively small area.

2C05BF5D-BC52-4FE1-96B3-F19A45D5B007.jpeg

0BBAA81F-72B4-421C-AFBF-15C80B81CA5A.jpeg

The handle has a nice design, but what little plating is left is pealing off. The last item looks like a very fancy ornate latch. You can see where the hing attached at the top and the hole on the bottom where it fastened. It is unfortunately bent.

5CF498C4-9949-43C9-BCBD-FFECFC91216E.jpeg

AAD57AE9-476D-4949-BCC7-8E20719B115D.jpeg

FA080E6F-727F-4719-9220-71ACCDF56A60.jpeg

The coinstars gave up a dime and a penny one day and 5 pennies and a BUTT pendant. The coin returns at the mall last left me a quarter so no skunk this week.

572B98A5-5400-4CE7-BA6C-221BADC0EDA6.jpeg

D1040C12-A431-45B2-B1CE-6B6024960507.jpeg

I got another new permission for a house in town. The owner was a scout in our troop years ago and now his son is joining the troop so I got a chance to ask him if I could detect his yard. The house was built in 1920 and is on a street where I have had a lot of success in the past so we will see.

Another good week in the books. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Attachments

• 441E2266-9214-4784-819E-5573F196EFC9.jpeg
    441E2266-9214-4784-819E-5573F196EFC9.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 6721582F-5A03-4998-8087-C6D2BFD572F6.jpeg
    6721582F-5A03-4998-8087-C6D2BFD572F6.jpeg
    911.9 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 10

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I decided it was time to go back to the picnic grounds. The lower field is used for a local peewee football league and the upper one is half parking and the other half is in hay. I was hoping they had mower the hay, that was not the case. I did a little swingin in the tall weeds, and did manage 2 coins and a bird band. Then I moved down to the lower field.

In 5 hours with the CZ21 I managed to find 61 coins with a face value of $5.40, a ring, 2 silver coins, a wheatie, 2 new keys, a bird band, a NO CASH VALUE token (WonderWorks), a toy skateboard in new condition, a little trash and the ever present pop tabs (mostly beaver tale type).

View attachment 2059463

The silver Washington quarter is a 1956 that was found on the edge of the lower football field. The 1946 silver Rosie was found in the upper hay field where a high school football team used to practice in the last 50s and early 60s. I have found other silvers there as well as an Indian head and large cent along with miscellaneous older brass items (flat buttons, keg tap etc).

View attachment 2059464

The ring looked good coming out of the ground, but it wasn’t marked as gold so I tested it and unfortunately it is a gold plated fashion ring. It was right on the surface under the grass and is in good shape.

View attachment 2059465

The bird band is my favorite find for this hunt. It is a 1932 West Virginia band. It is marked W. VA BWD, I’m not sure what BWD stands for. An internet search doesn’t turn up anything that works. The departments in the government have probably been renamed in the past 90 years. Maybe the Bird Watching Division of the department of natural resources.

View attachment 2059466

DAY 2
I managed to get to the scout camp this week. It was showery most of the time, but not too bad. I went to an area I haven’t been to for a while because it has been pretty well covered. I expanded the search further out into the woods and did a quick redo of some areas hoping for new losses.

In 6 hours with the CZ21 I found 143 coins with a face value of $7.44 (lots of coins but 84 are pennies), a Canadian penny and dime, year pin and a Webelos engineer pin, a hiking belt loop, what looks like the screw in end of a wooden tool handle (push broom, paint roller etc.), an aluminum carabiner, a sinker, a paint brush end, disposable lighter parts, a military blank cartridge, a canvas strap end, a little junk and a few can tabs.

View attachment 2059467

I found 2 tiny aluminum disks that I thought might be some kind of craft beads. But not too far away I found the flint wheel from a disposal lighter and realized that they were the outer wheels from a flint wheel. Nothing great, but it is nice to be able to identify the stuff we find.

View attachment 2059469

DAY 3
I got back to the civil war bullet school hoping for another goodie. Last trip I found a nice bucket lister so you never know.

I continued the grid where I found the belt plate last week. It was pretty quiet, very few targets of any kind and it took over an hour to find my first coin. It was drizzly and rainy the ground was slick and sticky so that every time I dug into the ground and recovered a target my gloves got so covered with muck that I had trouble separating the target from the muck and getting it into my pouch or finds box. So not the best conditions for detecting. I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 on the grid and doing a little wandering looking for promising spots.

All together I only found 32 coins with a face value of $1.77, an ornate piece of a plated spoon or fork handle, an Indian head penny, a button, 3 religious medals, 2 cheapie rings, a toy helicopter, a decorative latch, whole aluminum cans, the usual assortment of junk and a few can tabs.

View attachment 2059471

The Indian head penny is a 1906 and is a little crusty. When I saw the nice green edge coming out of the muddy dirt I suspected what it was. The button is a civil was artillery button and from the small size I would say it’s a cuff button. The acid soil is pretty hard on these buttons. This is only the second button from this site and both were cuff buttons. The other one came out of the ground in pieces. There is no backmark.

View attachment 2059462

View attachment 2059472

The religious medals are a common type of cheap medals. Nothing special. They were scattered in a relatively small area.

View attachment 2059473

View attachment 2059474

The handle has a nice design, but what little plating is left is pealing off. The last item looks like a very fancy ornate latch. You can see where the hing attached at the top and the hole on the bottom where it fastened. It is unfortunately bent.

View attachment 2059475

View attachment 2059476

View attachment 2059477

The coinstars gave up a dime and a penny one day and 5 pennies and a BUTT pendant. The coin returns at the mall last left me a quarter so no skunk this week.

View attachment 2059478

View attachment 2059479

I got another new permission for a house in town. The owner was a scout in our troop years ago and now his son is joining the troop so I got a chance to ask him if I could detect his yard. The house was built in 1920 and is on a street where I have had a lot of success in the past so we will see.

Another good week in the books. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread