2016 Best of the Best!!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's snowing here in Maine and I'm not giving up but I likely will only be able to hunt the shore with my GPX. I didn't get out much this summer but had some killer hunts. Lots of marked 1812 pewters, a pile of early coppers in great condition from one site that has ties to one of my ancestors. A gorgeous 1749 came from this same site and the star of the show for coins was a very scarce 1749 Unbarred A farthing that's easily the nicest copper I've eve found. I also pulled a 1653 heavily countermarked copper cob and a few other 17th century finds including 2 complete Latten spoons and a marked pipe bowl. On the relics side I had a great year. Some of the highlights were 7 or 8 shoe buckles....3 being complete. I found a ton of pewter spoons and my first button mould (thanks IP). My favorite relic by 8 miles is the colonial silver Luckenbooth brooch. Love that thing. A few other things were a few colonial links, my first flint and a really nice mystery piece from the ancestors colonial site. I guess it was some sort of leather ornament.
I also wanted to mention that I made a few great friends this year brought together by this great hobby. Scrappy and OutdoorAdv came up and we had a blast. Also want to thank all of the members who are so helpful with identification and information about the finds. Incredibly knowledgeable folks on this forum. You all know who you are. Thanks Guys

Best Coins:
1749 Unbarred A regal farthing error
IMG_5018.JPG

1749 Pillar & Globes Real
IMG_4409.JPG
IMG_4408.JPG

1723 Woods Hibernia Copper
IMG_4406.JPG
IMG_4407.JPG

1653 Countermarked Copper Cob
IMG_4944.JPG

Ancestor Site Nicer Coppers
IMG_4413.JPG
IMG_4414.JPG

French Billon Coin (1590s?)
IMG_4687.JPG
IMG_4719.JPG

17th Century Finds:
Complete Latten Spoons
Seal Top
IMG_0289.JPG

The Family
IMG_5487.JPG

Lluellin Evans marked Pipe Bowl
IMG_0290.JPG

Favorite Relics:

1812 Buttons
Regiment of Artillerists
IMG_4102.JPG

Script Infantry
IMG_4105.JPG

General Service US
IMG_4114.JPG

Regimental Buttons
IMG_4110.JPG
IMG_4116.JPG

The Family
IMG_5499.JPG

3 Complete Shoe Buckles
IMG_5507.JPG

Button Mould
IMG_5294.JPG

Gold Picker (GPX FIND)
IMG_5389.JPG
IMG_5388.JPG

My Baby....Colonial Scottish Silver Luckenbooth Brooch
IMG_5452.JPG

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer stuff Abe. Congrats on all your great finds! I would love to be able to swing in a place with that kind of history.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a beautiful collection of keepers, congratulations!

Those spoons are absolutely killer! Of course everything else is fantastic! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great year Abe! You definitely made the most of your opportunities.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 day, I would like just 1 of those whole spoons.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a year Abe! Your ancestors copper coins are absolutely stunning... what a site. I am happy to say I witnessed 66% of your complete shoe buckles see the light of day in 225+ years. That 1653 Spanish cob is the oldest coin I've ever seen dug and it was a thrill to see you pull that too. Too many great times to mention, and the best times I've ever had hunting with friends. A huge Congratulations on a fantastic year Abe. I cant wait to see what 2017 brings for you. :occasion14:

Ccarson

Dec 20, 2014
El Monte,Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt pro,surf pi pro,trx pinpointer
Minelab eureka
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome finds. I was wondering if you found any buttons that might of come from that button mold ?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Abe. Seeing all those finds together is simply an amazing site. Those spoons far and away are my favorite finds. Just the look of them takes me across the ocean to a different time, and look like something I'd more expect to see dug in England. The Luckenbooth is another example that belongs in a museum. We all try to reach back as far as we can here in the "New World", but you consistently push the outer limits further than most.

Great old coppers in exceptional condition, and the Hammered copper is outstanding. Most of all, it was a great time digging beside you buddy. I was a great time hunting with people that live and breathe relic hunting. Online you make it look easy, but anyone who knows you well understands how much work you put into your hunts/finds. My hat is off to you and your finds. Seal buddy I'm sure also feels the same way.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
You hit every nail on the head and checked off every box!
Top marks for the season you just had!
The stories you attached to your finds alone are treasures, congratulations on your year!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
What a wide ranging assortment of early finds there Abe - very impressive to say the least. Although your quantity wasn't amazing (due to not digging much), your quality was about as good as it gets with a number of very unique finds. And you topped it off with that big, chunky gold flake which is unbelievable considering where it was recovered. But my favorite has to be that complete, early spoon. Those just blow me away. Congrats man on a stellar 2016!!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning finds there...I'm still drooling...Got lots of favorites in those pics but the Luckenbooth stands out to me...wonder why lol....Congrats and here's to a better year coming ....

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No doubt, if I lived in Maine, you would still find all that, and maybe more....
Congrats on another great year!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on an incredible 2016 season!!! I always am looking forward to your posts on here. I've been mostly lurking here lately and not posting much. I LOVE those spoons, that brooch and button mold are such unique finds and are huge additions to your fast-growing collection, and to top it off, you get to hunt sites your ancestors' occupied! How awesome is that!?!?! Happy hunting, Isaac

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like another fantastic year.
"Well done" is an understatement.

Keep on keeping on.

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Now that is a nice pile. That Farthing and the Brooch steal the show for sure. It's just icing the cake that you got to find a lot of the stuff on and tied to your ancestors. Have a good winter, and let's hope for an early spring!

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knowing how rarely you got out, it really is great to see what you produced. Like watching a guy win races with one arm and one leg tied up. And in spite of it, your passion for the hobby in general and support for everybody else was undiminished. Super classy.

Hoping you get lots more time in 2017, and looking forward to what that brings.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds Abe! You had an amazing year! Hope you find a nice British Rev War belt plate in 2017 or at least a Loyalists one ;-) Great job on those super early amazing looking coppers and the brooch. Those tend to elude me.

Last edited:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What can I say, Abe? That is an amazing bunch of KILLER finds especially to have been found in just one year. I know you put a lot of work and I'm sure did tons of research to find the sites. Congratulations on a banner year (pun intended).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread