2020 Looking for suggestions for Metal Detectors for GA

Props Master

Apr 30, 2020
Decatur, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone. I'm new here. Ive been building my own gear now for about 3 years. I'm now wanting to go away from the water and do some detecting. I live in Atlanta GA. not far from Dahlonega. The soil here ranges from brown dirt to red clay. The types of gold here will be small (very small) and more then likely shallow on bedrock.

Looking for detectors between $700-$1000 range
From my research I'm looking at
Minelab Gold Monster
Gold Bug pro (not the 2 because I'm told to get one with LCD screen)
Garrett ATX

I'm open to all thoughts on these and suggestions of others.

Thanks in advance!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from a fellow Georgian. I am mainly a relic hunter, but the detectors that you mentioned for gold are pretty decent detectors from what I have heard. 2 others that you may throw into the mix are the Minelab Equinox, and the Garrett AT Gold. Experienced gold hunters I'm sure will chime in with suggestions. Best of luck to you.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let’s see, equinox 800, xp deus oh that cost more, maybe the infibio multi by notka makro

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Monster is a dang fine gold seeker, WAY better than an AT Gold.

OP
OP
P

Props Master

Apr 30, 2020
Decatur, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure what you mean? I have been looking at the 800 & XP ORX & gold Monster ( but haven't heard about that one till today. Reviews keep pointing to Gold Bug 2. But people dont like the no LCD.
Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
P

Props Master

Apr 30, 2020
Decatur, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've looked into Gold Monster but everyone is out of stock. I like some of the Minelab equinox 800 deals. $1000 combo on Amazon and comes with a pin pointer & wireless headset.

It comes highly rated but I'm keeping in mind I'm not looking for relics. 90% I'll be looking for tiny gold.

Thoughts?
Thanks for you help.

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you decide make sure you run it past Bart at Big Boy Hobby's as he will always point you in the right direction!

OP
OP
P

Props Master

Apr 30, 2020
Decatur, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello 49er12, I’ve researched more into the XP and 800
Before I start correct me if I’m wrong but from what I’ve read and deducted is that the higher the frequencies on a detector the better for small shallow gold like here in GA?

Ok
XP Deus, 35 frequency from 3.7k - 27.7k wireless water proof, highly rated and says for low conductive small targets, $1300

XP ORX 3.7 k- 27.7, 4 settings 2 coins/ relic- 2 for gold, wireless ( not waterproof) $650 ish

800, about $1000 for a nice bundle 5k-40k, wireless, , water proof, high rated, says for gold but seemed more for coins and such,

Gold Monster, seems to be set at 45kwz dynamic range, just for gold, water/ splash proof, $900 (just the detector.) however it’s the most recommended, but out of stock everywhere.

If any one could help with input in these choices or recommendations of others I’m missing I would greatly appreciate it. My head is overwhelmed with the small details since all the reviews online seem to love each one of these.
Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread