25th Anniversary Ring Returned!!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Well I finally got to return a ring to the place it is supposed to be, the owners hand and his wifes finger.

What a great day it was. Started out with a stiff breeze at about 40 mph with gusts even higher but at least there was no rain. I knew it was the only day this week that Don and I would be able to get out and hunt so we braved the colder weather and we were glad that we did.

Had permission to hunt this property that dates back to 1898 or so and I thought we would grab a bunch of old stuff. The owner, Kenny, watched us a for a while and then left to run some errands. He came back a couple hours later with his wife. We had found a 1919 wheatie and Don grabbed a 1941 Washington Quarter but that was pretty much it along with the usual clad and bucket full of trash.

Kenny's wife said that she had lost her wedding band in a huge pile of grass clippings that was near the woods at the back of the property. I asked her how long ago and she said 2 years ago. I thought to myself, I have been in this situation before :icon_scratch: You know, where the owner says it's there but you never find it or maybe you find it on the other side of the yard. I thought we would give it a shot and asked him if he had a rake handy. He said there was one in the shed and we were welcome to use it. He then went back to his shop to work.

I approached the huge pile of grass and thought, we are going to be at this awhile. I took my discrimination way down so as to get every possible beep. Don started raking the first layer of grass and I scanned. Figuring 2 years of yard debris on top of her ring, we would have to dig awhile.

Nope!!!! Don's first scoop of grass was spread out on the open area and I scanned the grass pile. Hit a target at 35VDI and thought no way is this it. I saw that the target was in the ground and not in the grass clippings at about 1 inch down. Being careful not to scratch it I pinpointed it and out popped the Gold Wedding Band!! WOHOOOOOO..... I did the usual rediculous looking happy dance, Don was just as ecstatic so I ran and grabbed the camera for the photo's.

We hunted for a couple more hours with not much more to show but the ring just topped the day off great. We then went to Kenny's shop to return the ring to him. He was in shock and said " What do I owe you guys for this?" We of course said absolutely nothing. You allowed us to hunt your property and that is all the reward we need. His wife had just gone to work so I could not get her photo but I did snap a shot of Kenny with the returned ring. He said he gave it to his wife as a 25th Wedding Anniversary Gift.

Now it's back in the right hands. What a day. Man I love this Hobby. Sorry for the long story but I just had to tell it the way it happened. Thanks for reading...Be safe out there and goodluck on your next hunt. ;D JGAS

Attachments

• Ken 1.JPG
    Ken 1.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 714
  • Ken 2.JPG
    Ken 2.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 765
  • Ken 3.JPG
    Ken 3.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 732
  • Ken 4.JPG
    Ken 4.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 717
  • Ken 5.JPG
    Ken 5.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 709
  • Ken 6.JPG
    Ken 6.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 768
  • Ken 7.JPG
    Ken 7.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 781
  • Ken 8.JPG
    Ken 8.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 778

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jgas,
Fantastic job!!!
Congrats on a job well done. Beautiful gold ring!
-MM-

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG JGAS on a good job :hello2: :hello2: I see I'm not the only one with pinpointer re-enforcements. I fiberglassed mine as I have broke 3 already ::)

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt there and great save, glad you was able to find the ring for them. Its hard to find people to give you permission its real nice to be able to do something like that in return.

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
A great find jgas.
Returning a ring like that must have made your day. :icon_thumright:
Just as well she didn't lose it in Kennys shop!! ;D

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California