2nd Hunt Today Is Even Better Than The 1st!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. I have been very busy today. Got out if you read my other post from today and did some scouting for Cjon455 and myself, then went for a hunt and scored 2 more silvers in a drop. After I took the gf to work, I decided to go back to the area I scouted and happened to see a gentleman outside doing yard work at a beautiful old house. He told me it was built in the 1840's by the grandson of a prominent Connecticut settler. For those not familiar with Pennsylvania history, there was a bitter dispute between Connecticut and the Pennamites over the state. There were actually armed hostilities as a result.
Back to the hunt before I give you a 12 page history lesson, lol. The gentleman gave me permission to hunt but said he and his brother had detected the yard quite some time ago. " Hope you find something good" were his parting words as he went back to the work. Well, he was a prophet! I found 2 firsts! One is a crossed cannons civil war token. Can't make out the back yet. The other is a mystery. Hope someone can identify it. Been looking in my Red Book, but nothing yet. It is 22.86 mm ( about the size of a quarter ) and has a right facing bust with "Liberty" above the bust. Can't make out the other side yet. I also found another Indian Head that looks like 1868. Will post more pics when I can get more detail of all. Thanks for looking!

u8ymu3yh.jpg

uhunu6eb.jpg

5enuny2a.jpg

2edybepy.jpg

4utaveby.jpg

9y4yseza.jpg

Upvote 16

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the token! Awesome dude!

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, here are the latest pics. The reverse of the 1/2 cent shows it to be the type minted from 1803-1808. That is the only way of dating it as the date itself certainly isn't apparent to these eyes, lol. Thanks to all who replied....I do appreciate your attention and input!
ne3u7e2u.jpg

any8u7e9.jpg

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some awesome finds, i wouldn't go any further as this is p robly about as clean as ur gonna get em, they look awesome though :thumbsup:

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it strange how two coins that look like they've had a very hard life can bring such a wide smile. Some would listen to us talk about hunting for 4-5 hours and find just one of those and laugh right out loud. (they just don't understand, do they.)

Excellent saves!

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isn't it strange how two coins that look like they've had a very hard life can bring such a wide smile. Some would listen to us talk about hunting for 4-5 hours and find just one of those and laugh right out loud. (they just don't understand, do they.)

Excellent saves!

You are absolutely right. You're either in it because you love doing this or you'll be selling your detector soon. I was soaking wet from the humidity but knowing I would only get those few coins, I'd do it all over again. Knowing I found something that had already been overlooked made it even better, lol.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds Old Dude! Congrats.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some decent finds for a yard that I'm sure the owner and his brother pounded for years Dave!:occasion14:
I've never heard about the "bitter dispute between Connecticut and the Pennamites over the state" before.

I know your finds are bit toasty, but they're still of importance historically and you saved them ... that's all that matters! :thumbsup:
Dave

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a draped bust half cent to me. I love finding draped bust large cents of which I've found a number of over the last year, but never found a draped bust half cent. Always nice to pull up something more than 200 years old.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a draped bust half cent to me. I love finding draped bust large cents of which I've found a number of over the last year, but never found a draped bust half cent. Always nice to pull up something more than 200 years old.

Thank you much Sir! I found a toasty old large cent just before finding this that is either a Draped Bust or a Liberty Cap, so this may be my second draped bust coin. Would love to know for sure what it is. Thanks for your post!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421365

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions