Upvote 4

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I need a little help with identifying these bullets that I dug today. All three were just about 2 inches below the surface and cleaned up pretty easily. Found in my woods near Kennesaw Mountain.

Thanks.
Only one I can ID positively is the one on the right of the penny.It,s a modern wadcutter,most likely from a .38 Special target load.If so it should measure around .357" or so in diameter.The round ball seems to be around the same diam. as the wadcutter so I,m gonna guess 36 caliber on it. It has a prominent mold mark so could be older. The brass or copper thing I don,t think is a bullet.maybe the decorative tip to a lanyard or cord of some sort.Just a guess on that one mind you!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with crash about the modern bullet. The lead ball could possibly be Confederate case shot, too. The far left kinda looks like brass so I understand why Crash said what he did, but that's a Confederate Enfield bullet. A nice find. It might have a number like 57 in the hole, or it might not. Would have originally had a wooden plug in the hole (cork I think) to help with expansion. Likely came from England on a blockade runner, so that makes it even cooler.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with crash about the modern bullet. The lead ball could possibly be Confederate case shot, too. The far left kinda looks like brass so I understand why Crash said what he did, but that's a Confederate Enfield bullet. A nice find. It might have a number like 57 in the hole, or it might not. Would have originally had a wooden plug in the hole (cork I think) to help with expansion. Likely came from England on a blockade runner, so that makes it even cooler.
That is truly cool parsonwalker,never knew that.I learned something today,thanks.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder whether the hollow base item is lead or brass? I'm attaching a photo of an Enfield bullet I found near the coin (and fairly close to a colonial British garrison) with the base showing. Also notice the 3 rings and the crenelating in the grooves.

Attachments

• Enfield .58 bullet base.jpg
    Enfield .58 bullet base.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 24

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder whether the hollow base item is lead or brass? I'm attaching a photo of an Enfield bullet I found near the coin (and fairly close to a colonial British garrison) with the base showing. Also notice the 3 rings and the crenelating in the grooves.
I was going on a guess.It looked like brass or copper in the pic.

Jan 15, 2022
I'm from the Kennesaw area, you have an Enfield bullet. Probably Confederate given where you found. By 1864, the federal troops moving through Marietta would have been equipped with Spencer carbines or Springfield. Great find. The ball is tougher depending on the caliber. The confederate troops did still have non rifled long guns at this point in the war. Could also be a pistol ball. The other is a modern wadcutter pistol target round.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I need a little help with identifying these bullets that I dug today. All three were just about 2 inches below the surface and cleaned up pretty easily. Found in my woods near Kennesaw Mountain.

Thanks.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread