3000 yr (Bronze age) gold? Torc like twisted gold bar?

TannersHatch

Jan 18, 2021
Brighton, UK
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Blimey. I think I might actually have found something 😯

Torc fragment I reckon. They cut these twisted gold jewelry items up later (after purchase or 'removal' from the wearer) to use as currency.

I've already let the FLO know with an email pic etc.
Found in a park in Sussex. Might get a bit told off but no damage done to ground and found yesterday so hopefully they won't mind too much. If they do, well...

What you think guys?

Attachments

• IMG_20211129_200405.jpg
    IMG_20211129_200405.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 221
Upvote 13

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice find. fellow hunter found 1/2 torc couple years ago. Hope it's what it is.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blimey. I think I might actually have found something 😯

Torc fragment I reckon. They cut these twisted gold jewelry items up later (after purchase or 'removal' from the wearer) to use as currency.

I've already let the FLO know with an email pic etc.
Found in a park in Sussex. Might get a bit told off but no damage done to ground and found yesterday so hopefully they won't mind too much. If they do, well...

What you think guys?
Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking member Crusader found one as well. Pretty rare to see them posted.
I've yet to find any Bronze Age or Iron Age Gold artefacts yet. Bronze Age being the rarest gold you can find in the UK.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's a Public Park, you may just get it taken off you. The by-laws for these can be a grey area if they haven't specifically banned it.
Anyways, it's very hard to ID from that one picture, so can't really comment other than;
'If it were Bronze Age it would be very unusual to be in detecting range on Park land without huge earth movements....'

Welcome back.:icon_thumright:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy of mine found a piece of one a couple of years ago. It's posted on the Colchester treasure hunting site if you want to take a look at it to compare. It was laying on top of the ground at the edge of a plowed field! We were the only two on that field at the time. He went to the left, I went to the right.......story of my life! :BangHead:

OP
OP
TannersHatch

TannersHatch

Jan 18, 2021
Brighton, UK
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A buddy of mine found a piece of one a couple of years ago. It's posted on the Colchester treasure hunting site if you want to take a look at it to compare. It was laying on top of the ground at the edge of a plowed field! We were the only two on that field at the time. He went to the left, I went to the right.......story of my life! :BangHead:
Wow a surface find! That's mental. Yeah post the pic or link it mate :)

OP
OP
TannersHatch

TannersHatch

Jan 18, 2021
Brighton, UK
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So spoke to Lewes museum today. Even she isn't sure as torc's are usually flatter and a very yellow metal.
This is only that deluxe yellow colour in between the flutes of the object. Oxidisation? Lesser purity? A bit of old drill bit? Haha!

If all that comes of this is I get told off for detecting in the park and bothering them with construction sundries, I'm gonna feel like such a prat!

Well she's wants to see it anyway so who knows... Maybe it's one of a kind!

Thursday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TannersHatch

TannersHatch

Jan 18, 2021
Brighton, UK
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's a Public Park, you may just get it taken off you. The by-laws for these can be a grey area if they haven't specifically banned it.
Anyways, it's very hard to ID from that one picture, so can't really comment other than;
'If it were Bronze Age it would be very unusual to be in detecting range on Park land without huge earth movements....'

Welcome back.:icon_thumright:
Thanks Cru! Good to be back. And no just a few inches Down BUT a recent (last 10yrs) facility was built close by so perhaps earth was pushed around from a deeper level to build it? The earth being discarded near by and turfed over? ...maybe I'm grasping here...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Dave's torc.jpg
    Dave's torc.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 58

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even she isn't sure as torc's are usually flatter and a very yellow metal.
This is only that deluxe yellow colour in between the flutes of the object. Oxidisation? Lesser purity? A bit of old drill bit? Haha!
There maybe a few explanations;
It might be a mix of silver & gold or gold plated??
Or a later piece from the Saxon/Viking period (hack silver/gold)where they didn't use such pure gold, all the time....
Other reasons around it being more modern.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sure looks like it was clipped on the end instead of being broken.
Hope it is a piece of one, that would be an awesome discovery.
Here is the link of the Torc that made the Banner.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like it was clipped on the end instead of being broken.
Hope it is a piece of one, that would be an awesome discovery.
Here is the link of the Torc that made the Banner.
Yup, that was my buddy (along with 6 others) I was hunting with that day. Needless to say we all descended onto that field like a swarm of locusts, but, we couldn't find the rest of it. A gold stator was also found in the next field over.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup, that was my buddy (along with 6 others) I was hunting with that day. Needless to say we all descended onto that field like a swarm of locusts, but, we couldn't find the rest of it. A gold stator was also found in the next field over.
Makes one wonder if it was just a single piece, or the rest is still under there waiting for the next major plowing of the field.
Still made for a free future trip over(winner) didn't it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread