37g 18k Monster Necklace & Pendant

harpda

Nov 24, 2012
Asia
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Onthespot called yesterday afternoon to do a bit of metal detecting and I was a bit hesistant at first because i'm supposed to be studying for a test coming up...but we all know how that goes. Of course I couldn't say no. The night started off slowly cleaning up a lot of pulltabs and bobbypins but then I went to a part of the beach that we had both worked before. It was dark and I was growing a bit inpatient from trying to locate small bits of metal going through the sand scoop spending too much time on unproductive digs. I thought this dig was going to be the same way. After the initial scoop, I didn't have the target. I scanned the ground and there was a signal, I quickly kneeled down expecting to find another pulltab, jabbed my hand into the sand and this monster gold chain is wrapped around my hand! My heart skipped a beat. I didn't even try to find a stamp in the dark. So I get home and the first thing I do is check the stamp, 18k, then onto the pendant which is the heaviest part, sure enough it's 18k as well. Yee-hawww!

Being in Japan, where common everyday coins can be worth $6 and the most common coin is worth over $1. My purpose for going out was to find coins to use as spending money. They are perfectly liquid and on a good day I was able to find $80 in Japanese Yen in 6 hours of hunting the dry sand. But this chain is a game changer. Like OntheSpot told me one night, most folks aren't looking for Yen here, they're looking for gold and platinum. That made sense to me, but precious metals are fairly illiquid. But now i'm a convert. Now I realize that this is where the money is at and this will be my focus. According to the precious metal calculator this chain is worth $1,500 in melt value--which is about the same price as an excal 2 and good scoop. Hmmmm. My $97 Bounty Hunter has served me well but I can't even get close to the wet sand without it throwing a tantrum; and I want to get in the water just to see whats out there (besides seasnakes).

18k1.jpg 18k3.jpg 18k4.jpg IMG_1043.jpg

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Fuel up the Lear Max......Next stop?..

That's a Beauty, congrads to you and when your hot, your hot...get back out there!!

Ren

Greenie
Dec 26, 2012
Solano County
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man what a find! Thats niceee! Can't wait to start detecting soon.

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, Sov GT, CZ-21 & Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Dan not bad for your first Oki find! Its all down hill from here!

OP
OP
H

harpda

Nov 24, 2012
Asia
Primary Interest:
Dan not bad for your first Oki find! Its all down hill from here![/QUOT

Seriously; I will have a hard time topping this. We're going to have to hit these beaches hard!

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE!!! With a find like that you should be able to upgrade quite nicely!!!

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Yep... you're hooked on the Okinawa treasures just like me.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Now that is one find you will never forget! Congrats on a great find!...And another treasure hunter is born.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
I'm
give.gif
give.gif
give.gif
give.gif
give.gif
give.gif
give.gif

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding! I would enjoy to just go over there and clean up on the Yen. Of course, I ,may have to learn to speak a litttle of the Japanese language. How do you say in Japanese? ... "Where's the Bling...?"

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Congratulations on a magnificent gold pendant /chain find, harpda!

Lorraine

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the gold!

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeehaw is right! you must have been to the Hamid school of detectin'

Ringdigger

Nov 27, 2012
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
excal ll, white's surf PI, Tesoro sand shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
It's been a year since I found a gold chain and pendant, it was 24K with a dragon on the pendant I figured it to be from China. I ended up finding the owner and giving it back to him. I am overdue to find one now. Congrats for that awesome find. Now you will find out how addictive this hobby is.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out bobbypins you got competicion

Top Member Reactions