38 pounds of pennys

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet you can go through the entire jug and not find a single wheat penny. [emoji6] [emoji6]

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would research what years produced double dies and look at all of them before getting rid of them, in particular 1955, 1972, 1984, 1995.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Quick way - cull the wheats and separate the copper memorial. Don't mess with the rest. Sell the wheat on eBay in one lot. Sell the copper memorial in another.

Forever Way - Scrutinize every single cent. Look for RPM, Cuds, off-center strikes, die cracks, etc. Be sure to take a photo of every cent that you think has doubling and ask here on T-Net for confirmation of machine doubling. In a decade, you can cash in for $58.52.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Let's say that it takes approx 154 zincons to make a pound, times 38 lbs,....means you have about 5852 cents, or $58.52.
But you have to take into consideration, what is the empty weight of the jug, which means you have less than $58.52. SO, now what do you do with them?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would research what years produced double dies and look at all of them before getting rid of them, in particular 1955, 1972, 1984, 1995.

There are many years with "doubled" dies. If you're really not into varieties just pull the wheats and dump the rest. Your loss may be my gain somewhere down the road!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally, if you are not interested in Mint Errors and Die Varieties, I would recommend pulling and holding onto all of the Wheat Cents, all Copper Cents and all of the 1982 Copper and Copper Plated Zinc Varieties. A 1982-D "Small Date" Copper Cent was found in February of this year which is a Transitional Composition Error/Die Variety and likely worth decent money in most grades and especially in AU and Mint State grades. I have a pretty good feeling that I have some of these Variety/Error Cents in some 1982 Cents I put away some 6 to 8 years ago. I remember that I had more of both the Small and Large Date Coppers and Small and Large Date Copper Plated Zinc Cents than what was in a complete set but it never donned on me that I possibly had a 1982-D "Small Date" Copper Cent which is a Transitional Composition Error/Die Variety. I now have to find them (yes, I have coins everywhere in the house being the Error and Die Variety Coin Collector that I am), see if I have some and if so, get them on the market before the values of this new Transitional Composition Error/Die Variety decreases as more and more are found.

Frank

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's fun to look for errors, die varieties, etc. It does take forever.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forget those WAM's, close AM, die clashes, greasers, CUDS, rotated dies, clips, DDO & DDR's, laminations and all those other "mistakes"

2 boxes of pennies takes SOOOOOOOOOOO much time :BangHead:

now that you wasted time readin' this-------------------- get to work & make some money OR cash on those crummy cents :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright::happysmiley:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, so I have 38 pounds of penny's that that i have been tossing in to a plastic water cooler water jug for 25 years or more
Never paid attention to what I tossed in to the plastic water cooler jug
Yes, I just put the jug on my bathroom scale
any thoughts, suggestions?
Brady

My suggestion is to schedule much more detecting time! In 25 years, you should have way more than 38 pounds of cents.....that's only about a pound and a half a year. We're counting on you to do your part in cleaning up the environment! :laughing7:

OP
OP
bradyboy

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input
BTW, they are in a plastic water jug, maybe 2lbs?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
While we're on the subject of "JUGS", a friend of my son says he has 8-five gallon water jugs of pocket change that go back 25-30 years. He says that I can look through them and take whatever I want, only to reimburse him for face, and take the remainder to the bank for cash for him. Yet to be seen and happen. Would be a nice winter project.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
While we're on the subject of "JUGS", a friend of my son says he has 8-five gallon water jugs of pocket change that go back 25-30 years. He says that I can look through them and take whatever I want, only to reimburse him for face, and take the remainder to the bank for cash for him. Yet to be seen and happen. Would be a nice winter project.

Good luck. But I wouldn't touch such an offer. Having the privilege of cashing in his coins with the hope that you pull a few keepers is hardly enticing.

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That works out to about $57.00 in pennies (Average of 150 pennies per pound). Sell one-pound bags of unscreened pennies for $9.95 shipped, and you should be able to net over $300.00 :skullflag:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That works out to about $57.00 in pennies (Average of 150 pennies per pound). Sell one-pound bags of unscreened pennies for $9.95 shipped, and you should be able to net over $300.00 :skullflag:

Terry---- that explains why they be callin' youze a "GOLD DIGGER" :icon_biggrin:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread