3D detection via LCD

MaxwellMiky

May 14, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi i am really new here so sorry in advance if i do anything wrong or should be somewhere else asking, but i am curious if anyone here knows the correct terminology/can provide an in depth explanation as to if it?s possible (and if it is, in layman?s terms, how one would need to go about developing it) to use electromagnetism to get detailed 3 dimensional information on a metal object underground, maybe only under 10? inches from the top soil, nothing deep or large, and translating it to LCD in 3D. I?ve googled everywhere and figured there would be a device you could purchase that could do this since we are in the 21st century now, (and if it?s been thought up of, someone somewhere is working on it) but im finding a lot of information online not explaining this in a way i can understand and cannot find something like this, and an example of what im looking for is something that can do what sonar does underwater, or what xrays can do to show a doctor whats going on inside a body, except i want to do this on soil, for metallic objects underground. Thank you anyone in advance, anything helps10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LCD is 2-D no matter what you do - so the software has to be able to excite the pixels in such a way as to appear to our eye to be in three dimensions.

It's all in the rendering software. Most of them (I am aware of) will require a 3-D scan - like a laser that scans and is then used to generate an object for a 3-D printer.

You might be able to glean some information from those who use a boat-sonar but now are able to generate a simulated 3-D display in $400 bass-boat sonars. That leaves the question of what mechanism you use to "shoot" into the ground to bounce signals back or create eddies in the conductivity of the soil that can be interpreted as objects, presumably metal. VHF is good for a few feet at the output the FCC will allow.

Any of the circuitry is above my involvement. I haven't kept up with the technology.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apologies , didnt intend to link to a vendors site (violate rules)
Chub

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, at 5 grand plus shipping, handling tax and destination charges, buy me one too. But seriously I have watched folks use them on video and it looks like a two man operation and the display didn't wow me over. Better to go rent a walk behind GPR unit from a big hardware rental place to try first.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that's the one I was talking about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread