3oz Pendant

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple years ago I found this object along a river bank in Pennsylvania. It weighs 3 troy ounces and has a density of 10.91g/cm3...a density between silver and lead.

I've talked with numerous experts, including world-renowned forensic geologist Scott Wolter from the History channel's series America Unearthed. Everyone agrees that it has a man made hole in the top and that it is most likely a pendant or an amulet. However, no one has seen anything like it or are they able to confirm it's origin. I've been told that it could be Jesuit, Viking or Alchemist.

A few months back, I was privately contacted by someone who claimed to have recognized a few of the symbols on it. They asked, " Did you find the object near a known cave?" I replied "Which symbols do you recognize?". I've never heard from them again.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 0605161909[1].jpg
    0605161909[1].jpg
    849.8 KB · Views: 212
  • Will Penn 2 (2).jpg
    Will Penn 2 (2).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 210
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 210
  • Will Penn (1).jpg
    Will Penn (1).jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 657
Upvote 9

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
OP
OP
D

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received this from the office of Robert L. Schuyler,
University of Pennsylvania Museum of Anthropology.

Fred:

Greg Urban, my departmental chair, passed your inquiry on to me.

It looks like a silver ingot of some type. I can not see the symbols you refer to but if they are Chinese characters then there were such silver ingots used by merchants and others. They would be stamped by the Chinese government.

I would suggest you send your message with the photos to:

OP
OP
D

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A second opinion from
Clark Lowden Erickson,
UPENN Museum

Mr. Marble,

I’ve never seen anything like it. Because of the silver and lead, the object is probably not pre-columbian (not indigenous native American) but rather from the historic period. You may have a silver ingot that someone put a hole through so it wouldn’t be lost before smelting, casting, and/or hamering it into an object.

Clark

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
You seem convinced that you have something other than a lead fishing weight so why to you need convince us of it? If you want to prove to us (me) that it is silver you should take it to a jeweler and video tape it being tested to prove it is silver then post the video. Until I see that I'm not convinced and I would love for you to prove me wrong.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what is the hold up on having it professionally tested in person? You've had it for years wondering and hoping. drop by a jeweler and get it over with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions