Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to the ATM today to get some grocery money, usually just drive past the teller but this time decided to ask for halves or large dollars. They said one of the tellers had some halves but he wouldn't be in for another hour. I called back before heading over, talked to the teller he said he had 4 halves, a 1950D 1961D 1962 and 1963! they claimed there were worth about $40, I said I would be right over. On the way there I bought 2 boxes of munchkins and when I got there I gave them the munchkins and got the halves for $2. I showed them on the phone app how the melt value of well circulated halves is currently $5.75, they said they must have looked them up wrong. They knew the value of silver but evidently this bank won't let them buy the coins from the tray.
OR maybe they were hoping I would offer more for them? They said they would hold any that come if for me. It was an older lady who brought them in. She also brought in 10 rolls of Quarters but they were all 2002 Mississippi's in bank rolls and a couple that said "new quarters"

Az2IK0Al.jpg

ollTPaZl.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
also got two boxes from another bank, one had a 1964 ender so opened that one today, did pretty good!

ind655Ul.jpg

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Best ever for teller finds, 4 Franklins, Best box this year, actually only 2 of 19 boxes with any silver. It was a very good day!

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best ever for teller finds, 4 Franklins, Best box this year, actually only 2 of 19 boxes with any silver. It was a very good day!

I had a (much) less successful, but similar experience this week.

I picked up this week's half dollar box and asked my teller if she had any other halves, loose or rolled. Another teller said she had two. I gave her a dollar and received a 1967 and 1969D.

So, I figure that I'm 2 for 2 this week. Final tally : 2 for 1,002.

Last three boxes have coughed up exactly one 40% silver half.

Like you, it has really been feast or famine for me this year. Mostly famine.

My 2019 tally after 8 boxes and 51 loose halves : 6 90% and 19 40%; however, 4 90% and 7 40% came in one box. 3 skunks out of 8.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Ben!

As a former Mass resident, I'm happy to translate for non New Englanders for regional terms like "munchkins". Incredible as it seems, there are really places with no Dunkin Donuts; we are supposed to get our first one in the county sometime soon and the locals will then know what munchkins are.

Congrats again!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Some years ago we went to Gettysburg on vacation and asked where the nearest DD was, they had no idea what I was talking about! How do they survive?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL. I'm willing to bet that your area has more DDs per square mile than anywhere else in the country. We had some in Taunton, but my wife is from Quincy and that area is loaded with them. How is it possible to stay in any kind of shape with all those donut shops? I used to work with an engineer from India and it was his dream to open a Dunkin Donuts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread