4 large coppers between two of us, including 2 state coppers!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone! @SlateBeltDigger and I got together again yesterday morning at a home over in Pennsylvania that we had visited a week ago, and we had an excellent day! We had a 3rd member of the team with us (but he's not on TNet, so I'll just call him Tom).

Short story: SlateBeltDigger found a Jersey Copper (1786), Connecticut Copper and an unidentified large copper (probably a King George halfpenny). I found a Draped Bust that I believe is an 1807, a Colonial era pewter button styled after a Carlos III Spanish 8-Real, a 1904 Indian Head Cent, and a cool brewery token circa 1900. "Tom" found some cool relics also (buttons, a token, etc.) but no old coins. Pictures below.

Longer story:

We originally visited this house last weekend at the end of a long morning of detecting a yet-to-be-planted farm field. On that day I decided to knock on the door because the property was adjacent to the farm field, the home had a sprawling yard surrounding it, and "Tom" thought he knew the name of the family that owned it, and he was right. The owners were happy to allow us to detect the yard. On that first day "Tom" found a dandy button but everything else we found that day was post Civil War. We didn't stay long last weekend because we were exhausted.

According to my research the house was built between 1860 and 1874, so when we returned yesterday we were hoping for Indian Head Cents and maybe a few silver dimes. We didn't expect to be pulling 200+ year old coppers.
And my first few finds fit the profile: a 1904 IHC and right next to it a cool Phoenix Brewery (Buffalo, NY) token that has been holed as to make a necklace. That brewery operated from 1887-1920, giving a pretty good date range on the token.

I was happy with those finds and decided to check in with SlateBeltDigger. He was VERY happy because he had just pulled two yet-to-be-identified large coppers. He found them in an area where we'd looked the previous weekend (good reminder to check areas more than once) and where "Tom's" dandy button had been found. (Honestly: how we missed these coppers the previous weekend mystifies me...).
Being a great guy SlateBeltDigger offered to have me and "Tom" join him in the area, but before we could even get swinging SlateBeltDigger pulled a 3rd large copper!
About 5 minutes later I pulled one too, the last of the large coppers we found yesterday.
After some careful dirt removal we were able to identify:
- SlateBelt Digger: 1786 Jersey Copper (later we learned it's a Maris 16-L, common) (his first Jersey Copper)
- SlateBelt Digger: Connecticut Copper (also his first CT Copper)
- SlateBelt Digger: unknown KG halfpenny
- Brian: 1807 Draped Bust US Large Cent.

Let me talk about that Draped Bust for a minute: at first I thought it was an 1803, but I took high resolution pictures of the dates and then overlayed them on top of stock pictures of 1803/4/5/7 and used the transparency 0-100% slider to compare. The 1807 lines up much better than the 1803. Let me know if you want to see video of this comparison.

Anyway, before leaving the large copper area I also pulled the pewter button pictured below, and to me this is maybe the coolest thing I found given that it's very unusual and unique. (Although I do see another similar one talked about back in 2020 on here: https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/colonial-patriotic-pewter-button-faux-spanish-reale.628350/).
My button is cool because it's a mirror image. Look carefully at the "8" and the "M" - they're on the wrong sides. I think this is because someone made this button by pressing another button with the Carlos III 8-Real design into warm pewter.

What an amazing day - especially for SlateBeltDigger! Congrats to you sir!

(Final picture is all the other stuff I dug yesterday. The toy truck is a fire truck that I cut in half with my shovel...oops. Maybe a Hubley from the 1930s?)

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1933 2.jpg
IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg
abc.jpg

Upvote 29

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt you guys had. CONGRATS 👏
Very cool button that one is.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Teamwork
Congratulations on your nice recoveries

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone! @SlateBeltDigger and I got together again yesterday morning at a home over in Pennsylvania that we had visited a week ago, and we had an excellent day! We had a 3rd member of the team with us (but he's not on TNet, so I'll just call him Tom).

Short story: SlateBeltDigger found a Jersey Copper (1786), Connecticut Copper and an unidentified large copper (probably a King George halfpenny). I found a Draped Bust that I believe is an 1807, a Colonial era pewter button styled after a Carlos III Spanish 8-Real, a 1904 Indian Head Cent, and a cool brewery token circa 1900. "Tom" found some cool relics also (buttons, a token, etc.) but no old coins. Pictures below.

Longer story:
We originally visited this house last weekend at the end of a long morning of detecting a yet-to-be-planted farm field. On that day I decided to knock on the door because the property was adjacent to the farm field, the home had a sprawling yard surrounding it, and "Tom" thought he knew the name of the family that owned it, and he was right. The owners were happy to allow us to detect the yard. On that first day "Tom" found a dandy button but everything else we found that day was post Civil War. We didn't stay long last weekend because we were exhausted.

According to my research the house was built between 1860 and 1874, so when we returned yesterday we were hoping for Indian Head Cents and maybe a few silver dimes. We didn't expect to be pulling 200+ year old coppers.
And my first few finds fit the profile: a 1904 IHC and right next to it a cool Phoenix Brewery (Buffalo, NY) token that has been holed as to make a necklace. That brewery operated from 1887-1920, giving a pretty good date range on the token.

I was happy with those finds and decided to check in with SlateBeltDigger. He was VERY happy because he had just pulled two yet-to-be-identified large coppers. He found them in an area where we'd looked the previous weekend (good reminder to check areas more than once) and where "Tom's" dandy button had been found. (Honestly: how we missed these coppers the previous weekend mystifies me...).
Being a great guy SlateBeltDigger offered to have me and "Tom" join him in the area, but before we could even get swinging SlateBeltDigger pulled a 3rd large copper!
About 5 minutes later I pulled one too, the last of the large coppers we found yesterday.
- SlateBelt Digger: 1786 Jersey Copper (later we learned it's a Maris 16-L, common) (his first Jersey Copper)

Let me talk about that Draped Bust for a minute: at first I thought it was an 1803, but I took high resolution pictures of the dates and then overlayed them on top of stock pictures of 1803/4/5/7 and used the transparency 0-100% slider to compare. The 1807 lines up much better than the 1803. Let me know if you want to see video of this comparison.

Anyway, before leaving the large copper area I also pulled the pewter button pictured below, and to me this is maybe the coolest thing I found given that it's very unusual and unique. (Although I do see another similar one talked about back in 2020 on here: https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/colonial-patriotic-pewter-button-faux-spanish-reale.628350/).
My button is cool because it's a mirror image. Look carefully at the "8" and the "M" - they're on the wrong sides. I think this is because someone made this button by pressing another button with the Carlos III 8-Real design into warm pewter.

(Final picture is all the other stuff I dug yesterday. The toy truck is a fire truck that I cut in half with my shovel...oops. Maybe a Hubley from the 1930s?)

View attachment 2037397
View attachment 2037399 View attachment 2037400
View attachment 2037401
View attachment 2037402 View attachment 2037403
quite a haul, thanks for posting!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some great finds! Seems like there may have been an older house on the site at some point. I've found that to be the case a lot of times.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Longer story:

View attachment 2037397
View attachment 2037401
OUTSTANDING!!!

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Tom" sent me pictures of his finds from Sunday, which include a circa-1890 Elliott Button Fastener token and a fancy dandy button.
IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great HUNTS Great finds Thanks for sharing

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Longer story:

View attachment 2037397
View attachment 2037401
Brian,

Thank you for the detailed post and photos. You and the Team definitely had some nice finds. I appreciate the work that you put into your well written and detailed posts. Keep up the great work. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Nov 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Longer story:

View attachment 2037397
View attachment 2037401
Congrats on all your finds! 👍🏻

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread