Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got 5 inches of snow at home over the last couple of days so I have not been out. I checked out the eastern areas and there is only a thin layer of snow and the ground is diggable so I went east for my weekend swingin.

DAY 1
I went to the campus to continue working on the field with the older coins hoping for some more luck. In 5 hours with the CZ21 I found 49 coins with a face value of $1.85, a dog tax tag, a 1949 wheatie, a Canadian nickel, a religious medal, a utility pole tag, a broken gas valve, a toasted pocket knife, 2 can tabs and some assorted junk.

C482988C-2490-4A8A-9EDA-ED43223BEE59.jpeg

The dog tax tag is from Allegany County Maryland and is from 1935. It is pretty toasty but might clean up ok.

33BF5D4F-1C62-4D08-9A52-7AEE3D267BFF.jpeg

The religious medal is a toasty St. Christopher medal with some tar on the front.

614B4DDC-5B0D-4DA9-814A-F43DF7AEC5EF.jpeg

The utility pole tag is from the Potomac Edison company. I have found 2 others like this one. I’m not sure of the dates they were used, but the pole in front of my house has a more modern type tag and that pole has been there since at least 1965.

C65B1D39-D1A8-4AE2-B5EE-3BBB360988E7.jpeg

Not a great hunt, but a long way from a skunk. The dog tax tag is my favorite for the day. Too bad this soil is so hard on brass.

DAY 2
So next I took my weekly trip to the civil war bullet school. It was showery and luckily the ground was not a sticky mess this time. I spent 5 hours with the CZ21 gridding a section I have walked over cherry picking the high tones a number of times as I move from one area to another. I started digging all the mid and high tones and combinations like normal for a grid, but there were so many targets in that area I eventually went to high tones and promising mid tones and combinations. As things quieted down I went back to the usual.

All together I found 47 coins with a face value of $2.01, a ring, a broken bracelet, a wheatie, the ever present zipper pull (with part of the zipper), the tail of a monopoly game beaver tail tab, a cheapie pendant, a stainless spoon bowl, a little can slaw, aluminum fence tie wire, aluminum bottle caps and a big handful of tabs. This was a heavy tab and nickel day. About 60 tabs and 19 nickels, almost as many nickels as pennies.

A9EFF581-1878-4834-964E-9AF33B60F833.jpeg

The ring is a tiny one, marked STERLING and it has a tigers eye stone. A neat little ring, too bad it is sized for a baby. The bracelet is made of brass and fell apart. The good thing is that the letter charms are silver. All marked 925. If there had been a letter I it would have been so appropriate D I R T. No old stuff this time, but 4 silvers is a good thing so yeah.

895A413D-F86D-40B6-9433-9F241FCDF3BA.jpeg

DCF47331-6762-45A0-A168-6A88C5C1F17D.jpeg

DAY 3

Next stop, the penny park. I’m still wandering around seeing what is what. I spent 5 hours in the cloudy but calm outdoors swingin the CZ21 with decent coin luck. All together I found 187 coins with a face value of $9.00, a fish hat pin, a small pocket knife, a butterfly pendant, a ninja turtle car, aluminum bottle caps, a fist full of tabs and a little can slaw. Another penny heavy day (120). This park has really produced the clad.

45FB6C3F-6B68-4170-BCE0-FC67BF1E2595.jpeg

I couldn’t find a mark on the butterfly. Nothing on the back or on the bail. It looked like silver that had a coating to keep it from tarnishing. The coating is coming off and makes it look weird in spots, but underneath it looks good. I finally noticed a mark on the top edge of the wing. It is confirmed, it is silver, marked 925.

194D7980-C373-45FF-A54E-A6164E27FB3B.jpeg

ECB1E5AA-E9AF-479A-85B5-0374E41165E1.jpeg

DAY 4
I went back to a set of ball fields I have detected off and on for years. I always get a bunch of new losses and the occasional old goodie. This area was the site of an 8 room log cabin built in the late 1700s and has produced a British copper, a 4 pound cannon ball and some civil war lead. The ball fields were created in 1985. You never know what the next hole will bring so you just keep swingin.

In 5 hours I managed to find 69 coins with a face value of $4.89, a brass cap, 2 wheaties, a brass whatzit, a key, a toy car, a chunk of melted copper, a horseshoe and a half, a few tabs and some can slaw.

B022E1C6-960C-4EF4-9CF6-9B8C2FA70AFD.jpeg

9A61694A-DA71-4560-863F-6E7C968B161F.jpeg

The copper chunk is worth about $1.80, about the same as the current melt value of a Rosie. I’d rather have the Rosie, but I’ll take it.

6B44D1A2-7C54-4D1D-9C27-F0006D4CFF4C.jpeg

The eyeball finds have been slim. One dime at the mall, a quarter on the sidewalk and 2 stuck together pennies in the coin star.

So that makes 7 silvers and 1 gold so far for 2023. Of course my year started May 1st and for my year so far it’s 109 silvers and 31 gold and I still have 3 months to go. Wish me luck.

The cold weather is going to hit so this is probably all I’m going to be able to do this week. I just hope it thaws out early next week so I can get back out there. I have a promising new permission to the west where it is colder and snowier so I need some warm weather for that one. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 19

Casey13

Sep 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We got 5 inches of snow at home over the last couple of days so I have not been out. I checked out the eastern areas and there is only a thin layer of snow and the ground is diggable so I went east for my weekend swingin.

DAY 1
I went to the campus to continue working on the field with the older coins hoping for some more luck. In 5 hours with the CZ21 I found 49 coins with a face value of $1.85, a dog tax tag, a 1949 wheatie, a Canadian nickel, a religious medal, a utility pole tag, a broken gas valve, a toasted pocket knife, 2 can tabs and some assorted junk.

View attachment 2067702

The dog tax tag is from Allegany County Maryland and is from 1935. It is pretty toasty but might clean up ok.

View attachment 2067855

The religious medal is a toasty St. Christopher medal with some tar on the front.

View attachment 2067851

The utility pole tag is from the Potomac Edison company. I have found 2 others like this one. I’m not sure of the dates they were used, but the pole in front of my house has a more modern type tag and that pole has been there since at least 1965.

View attachment 2067852

Not a great hunt, but a long way from a skunk. The dog tax tag is my favorite for the day. Too bad this soil is so hard on brass.

DAY 2
So next I took my weekly trip to the civil war bullet school. It was showery and luckily the ground was not a sticky mess this time. I spent 5 hours with the CZ21 gridding a section I have walked over cherry picking the high tones a number of times as I move from one area to another. I started digging all the mid and high tones and combinations like normal for a grid, but there were so many targets in that area I eventually went to high tones and promising mid tones and combinations. As things quieted down I went back to the usual.

All together I found 47 coins with a face value of $2.01, a ring, a broken bracelet, a wheatie, the ever present zipper pull (with part of the zipper), the tail of a monopoly game beaver tail tab, a cheapie pendant, a stainless spoon bowl, a little can slaw, aluminum fence tie wire, aluminum bottle caps and a big handful of tabs. This was a heavy tab and nickel day. About 60 tabs and 19 nickels, almost as many nickels as pennies.

View attachment 2067853

The ring is a tiny one, marked STERLING and it has a tigers eye stone. A neat little ring, too bad it is sized for a baby. The bracelet is made of brass and fell apart. The good thing is that the letter charms are silver. All marked 925. If there had been a letter I it would have been so appropriate D I R T. No old stuff this time, but 4 silvers is a good thing so yeah.

View attachment 2067854

View attachment 2067701

DAY 3

Next stop, the penny park. I’m still wandering around seeing what is what. I spent 5 hours in the cloudy but calm outdoors swingin the CZ21 with decent coin luck. All together I found 187 coins with a face value of $9.00, a fish hat pin, a small pocket knife, a butterfly pendant, a ninja turtle car, aluminum bottle caps, a fist full of tabs and a little can slaw. Another penny heavy day (120). This park has really produced the clad.

View attachment 2067856

I couldn’t find a mark on the butterfly. Nothing on the back or on the bail. It looked like silver that had a coating to keep it from tarnishing. The coating is coming off and makes it look weird in spots, but underneath it looks good. I finally noticed a mark on the top edge of the wing. It is confirmed, it is silver, marked 925.

View attachment 2067857

View attachment 2067858

DAY 4
I went back to a set of ball fields I have detected off and on for years. I always get a bunch of new losses and the occasional old goodie. This area was the site of an 8 room log cabin built in the late 1700s and has produced a British copper, a 4 pound cannon ball and some civil war lead. The ball fields were created in 1985. You never know what the next hole will bring so you just keep swingin.

In 5 hours I managed to find 69 coins with a face value of $4.89, a brass cap, 2 wheaties, a brass whatzit, a key, a toy car, a chunk of melted copper, a horseshoe and a half, a few tabs and some can slaw.

View attachment 2067859

View attachment 2067861

The copper chunk is worth about $1.80, about the same as the current melt value of a Rosie. I’d rather have the Rosie, but I’ll take it.

View attachment 2067860

The eyeball finds have been slim. One dime at the mall, a quarter on the sidewalk and 2 stuck together pennies in the coin star.

So that makes 7 silvers and 1 gold so far for 2023. Of course my year started May 1st and for my year so far it’s 109 silvers and 31 gold and I still have 3 months to go. Wish me luck.

The cold weather is going to hit so this is probably all I’m going to be able to do this week. I just hope it thaws out early next week so I can get back out there. I have a promising new permission to the west where it is colder and snowier so I need some warm weather for that one. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Great job!! Love the dog tax tag 👍🏻

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DAY 1

View attachment 2067702

View attachment 2067855

View attachment 2067851

View attachment 2067852

DAY 2

View attachment 2067853

View attachment 2067854

View attachment 2067701

DAY 3

View attachment 2067856

View attachment 2067857

View attachment 2067858

DAY 4

View attachment 2067859

View attachment 2067861

View attachment 2067860

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good going on all the silvers and other interesting finds!
Sometimes I question myself on digging up all those tabs, but 4 times now I've pulled gold when I was positive it was going to be another tab. Gotta dig the little buggers!

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

DAY 1

View attachment 2067702

View attachment 2067855

View attachment 2067851

View attachment 2067852

DAY 2

View attachment 2067853

View attachment 2067854

View attachment 2067701

DAY 3

View attachment 2067856

View attachment 2067857

View attachment 2067858

DAY 4

View attachment 2067859

View attachment 2067861

View attachment 2067860

awesome day so many recoveries, beautiful array of shiny!

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good going on all the silvers and other interesting finds!
Sometimes I question myself on digging up all those tabs, but 4 times now I've pulled gold when I was positive it was going to be another tab. Gotta dig the little buggers!
absolutely, two 22k gold rings a few months back on same day almost walked away....good luck hunting to you and OP!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So many nice finds!! I especially like the dog tag and ninja turtle car!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread