4 silver day(including a Big Ben), 2 civil war firsts, meteor-wrongs and the bills keep coming

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I got back from camping with the scouts it was snowing and the ground was covered at home. The sun came out and the wind got strong, but it warmed up and the snow disappeared thank goodness. So my wife and I went into town to walk on Main Street. Toward the end of the walk I looked down beside the curb by a parked car and bam a $10 bill. This is unreal! I usually find a few bills a year, but 5 bills in as many weeks is unheard of. A 1, a 5, 2 10s and a 20 (the 5 and a 10 while detecting the rest while walking) unbelievable! Right place right time with eyes open.

One of our new scouts is the son of one of my old Eagle Scouts. On the campout I asked the dad about their home. It was built in 1940. So it is not real old, but I got permission to detect and Monday I went out to get the lay of the land and I am glad I did.

I spent 5 hours detecting around the edges of the many flower beds, the bases of the trees and around the edges of the home and sidewalks. I was lucky and found a bunch of goodies. 30 coins with a face value of $1.72, a locomotive (1959 MODELS OF YESTERYEAR BY LESNEY), some brass hardware, a great seal coat button, wire connectors and a power pole marker (PE CO), a decorative finial, a marble, 2 silver dimes, a silver half, a war nickel, a bullet, 7 wheat pennies (1910, 1920, 1940, 1941, 1944, 1945, 19??) copper wire, a pony shoe, 2 pocket knives, a cold chisel and a pile of junk. The yard was miraculously free of nails and iron junk. Don’t get me wrong, there was iron junk, but not nearly as much as in most yards. Normally around the house it is one low tone on top of the other and you have to go very very slowly to hear the mid and high tones in the mess.

FBB2EA67-286A-4503-95AB-D3A80DF8DD54.jpeg

The 4 silvers are a 1943 S war nickel, a 1939 Mercury dime, a 1946 Rosie and a 1952 Franklin Half dollar. When I dug the half dollar it was so brown and cruddy I thought it was a souvenir coin or token. When I did a little rubbing I could see part of the Liberty Bell and knew it was a Franklin half. I don’t normally clean my coins much, but this one needs something. I have rubbed some of the gunk off and I could use electrolysis, but I may have to try the aluminum foil method first to see if it does any good. Any suggestions would be welcome.

EC1C69C0-4250-4CED-AE8A-F32F394A68A6.jpeg

The Great seal coat button is really crusty as well. It took a lot of careful work to reveal the backmark. The back mark is R LIEBMANN MFG CO NEWARK NJ, and if my sources are right that makes it a WWI button. A retired naval officer built the house in 1940 so he may have fought in that war.

94F216B6-12BE-400A-8CDB-CF4B051E38CC.jpeg
40F42B7D-3484-4F18-B289-661EA2EF7627.jpeg

Potomac Edison is the local power company so this is an older power pole marker and it was found at the base of a current pole along with the heavy copper wire and the 3 wire connectors.

8A0CF6CC-9739-47B0-A2B8-0B697B675E55.jpeg

After my hunt I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. As always I checked the coinstar machine but no luck however I did find $.83 in the coin return at the register when I checked out. Right place right time again.

I took my weekly trip to the scout camp and did the last little corner of a campsite. I was not expecting much because I thought the corner was not used a lot and I have not covered this part before. It was not a super day, but it was a very good one and much better than expected. In my 6.5 hours with the CZ21 I managed to find 141 coins with a face value of $16.44, 74 camp tent pegs, an old table knife, 2 pocket knives, 2 neckerchief slides, an NRA hat pin, a broken brass bead bracelet, 3 bullets, a shotgun slug, a rope tensioner, a few tabs, some hot rocks and as always melted aluminum from the fire pits.

747C6FC0-A968-4F47-9E99-0E5379C202EB.jpeg

I found 4 hot rocks. 2 are magnetic and 2 are not. One is a combination of what looks like sandstone and iron, One is clearly melted non magnetic nonrusting metal (too heavy for aluminum). One is a non rusting magnetic metal and the last is non rusting, non magnetic metal and is the heaviest of the 4. Years ago when I found my first one of these like the last 2, I thought I had found a meteorite. But unfortunately all of them are meteorwrongs. They probably are some sort of byproduct from one of the mills in Pittsburg. (The camp was built by the scout council of Pittsburg)

85D8C906-A9F6-47CB-91A6-DC380DBE48C0.jpeg 2D050B66-316E-4A01-B132-FCE7C4F4756D.jpeg 364ACD55-136A-4CAF-B0C7-D2F29B3CE422.jpeg 66926172-A2D9-47EB-8CBA-8F821821B368.jpeg

The kids are on Easter break so I get to back to the schools and do some detecting. Family plans limited my time, but I did get a couple of days in. My first day was to the civil war bullet school. Hoping to find more artifact (bullets, but hopefully some other things as well) and I got my wish.

I spent 5.5 hours working a grid and finishing a section of the property and then started a new grid along a fence line. Not great coin wise, but 2 more firsts. All together 36 coins with a face value of $1.40, a scabbard tip, a tiny cheapie dangle, camp lead, 2 CW bullets, a toasted buffalo nickel, a mini skateboard, some tabs and junk.

618648E4-7D30-42C4-B9A7-01077ECC4771.jpeg

The buffalo is truly toasted. The civil war bullets are a .58 caliber minie that was wormed (my first wormed bullet out of over 900 CW bullets) and a Williams Type III missing the zinc washer base.

E64E6C8C-F3FA-4BAC-881E-E2B100686DAA.jpeg

The bayonet scabbard tip was a nice surprise. It is my first and it looks like it was used by federal troops. So 2 firsts on this trip and that makes 4 civil war firsts from this site. It takes a lot of swingin and digging a ton of other stuff to find them but it is worth it.

B07446F1-4CEC-47F9-AEC6-D3298866AB40.jpeg

My least favorite find at schools are the pencil ends. They are inevitable with a mid to high tone depending on their position in the ground. So while I am digging all the mid and high tones to get all the goodies I get piles of these stupid things and of course everyone’s favorite POP TABS. If you could eliminate tabs, pencil ends and can slaw life would be so much easier.

4CE0E5EA-316D-40D7-A984-16A26B7CAE55.jpeg

The last hunt of the week was to the other school. I only had 4.5 hours to hunt because of an appointment. Less trash than normal in this section of the grid and a few interesting pieces, but nothing special. All together 94 coins with a face value of $7.74, a neat looking junk ring that had come apart in the hole, a star pendant with some of the metal cord it was on, an older style brass pin, a couple of buttons, a token (HOPE EXTENSION HERO RESORT OPTIMA) and tabs.

48A8391E-9943-47F3-B616-8B9E96BF95E8.jpeg

2A00C8BB-B9C7-4062-8F27-7219A935FE91.jpeg

Made another stop at the store on the way home and again no coinstar money, but I did find $0.36 in the coin return. Treasure is everywhere if you keep your eyes open. It wasn’t much but it does add up.

Overall a very good week, 4 silvers, more civil war artifacts including 2 firsts, good eyeball finds, a pile of clad and lots of outdoor fresh air exercise to keep the old man health. It can always be better, but no complaints here. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Attachments

• 62A43FAD-7342-4358-A314-AE6101315CB8.jpeg
    62A43FAD-7342-4358-A314-AE6101315CB8.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 0E5AD25D-6AC7-4FF2-BE86-E3160571BAA5.jpeg
    0E5AD25D-6AC7-4FF2-BE86-E3160571BAA5.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
Upvote 25

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with you on the pencil tops, but if you could eliminate pencil tops, pull taps, and can slaw then everyone would metal detect and there wouldn't be anything left for the rest of us! Also I love how you put the tech deck in with all the other ancient relics.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After I got back from camping with the scouts it was snowing and the ground was covered at home. The sun came out and the wind got strong, but it warmed up and the snow disappeared thank goodness. So my wife and I went into town to walk on Main Street. Toward the end of the walk I looked down beside the curb by a parked car and bam a $10 bill. This is unreal! I usually find a few bills a year, but 5 bills in as many weeks is unheard of. A 1, a 5, 2 10s and a 20 (the 5 and a 10 while detecting the rest while walking) unbelievable! Right place right time with eyes open.

One of our new scouts is the son of one of my old Eagle Scouts. On the campout I asked the dad about their home. It was built in 1940. So it is not real old, but I got permission to detect and Monday I went out to get the lay of the land and I am glad I did.

I spent 5 hours detecting around the edges of the many flower beds, the bases of the trees and around the edges of the home and sidewalks. I was lucky and found a bunch of goodies. 30 coins with a face value of $1.72, a locomotive (1959 MODELS OF YESTERYEAR BY LESNEY), some brass hardware, a great seal coat button, wire connectors and a power pole marker (PE CO), a decorative finial, a marble, 2 silver dimes, a silver half, a war nickel, a bullet, 7 wheat pennies (1910, 1920, 1940, 1941, 1944, 1945, 19??) copper wire, a pony shoe, 2 pocket knives, a cold chisel and a pile of junk. The yard was miraculously free of nails and iron junk. Don’t get me wrong, there was iron junk, but not nearly as much as in most yards. Normally around the house it is one low tone on top of the other and you have to go very very slowly to hear the mid and high tones in the mess.

View attachment 2021222

The 4 silvers are a 1943 S war nickel, a 1939 Mercury dime, a 1946 Rosie and a 1952 Franklin Half dollar. When I dug the half dollar it was so brown and cruddy I thought it was a souvenir coin or token. When I did a little rubbing I could see part of the Liberty Bell and knew it was a Franklin half. I don’t normally clean my coins much, but this one needs something. I have rubbed some of the gunk off and I could use electrolysis, but I may have to try the aluminum foil method first to see if it does any good. Any suggestions would be welcome.

View attachment 2021223

The Great seal coat button is really crusty as well. It took a lot of careful work to reveal the backmark. The back mark is R LIEBMANN MFG CO NEWARK NJ, and if my sources are right that makes it a WWI button. A retired naval officer built the house in 1940 so he may have fought in that war.

View attachment 2021224 View attachment 2021238

Potomac Edison is the local power company so this is an older power pole marker and it was found at the base of a current pole along with the heavy copper wire and the 3 wire connectors.

View attachment 2021225

After my hunt I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. As always I checked the coinstar machine but no luck however I did find $.83 in the coin return at the register when I checked out. Right place right time again.

I took my weekly trip to the scout camp and did the last little corner of a campsite. I was not expecting much because I thought the corner was not used a lot and I have not covered this part before. It was not a super day, but it was a very good one and much better than expected. In my 6.5 hours with the CZ21 I managed to find 141 coins with a face value of $16.44, 74 camp tent pegs, an old table knife, 2 pocket knives, 2 neckerchief slides, an NRA hat pin, a broken brass bead bracelet, 3 bullets, a shotgun slug, a rope tensioner, a few tabs, some hot rocks and as always melted aluminum from the fire pits.

View attachment 2021226

I found 4 hot rocks. 2 are magnetic and 2 are not. One is a combination of what looks like sandstone and iron, One is clearly melted non magnetic nonrusting metal (too heavy for aluminum). One is a non rusting magnetic metal and the last is non rusting, non magnetic metal and is the heaviest of the 4. Years ago when I found my first one of these like the last 2, I thought I had found a meteorite. But unfortunately all of them are meteorwrongs. They probably are some sort of byproduct from one of the mills in Pittsburg. (The camp was built by the scout council of Pittsburg)

View attachment 2021229 View attachment 2021227 View attachment 2021228 View attachment 2021230

The kids are on Easter break so I get to back to the schools and do some detecting. Family plans limited my time, but I did get a couple of days in. My first day was to the civil war bullet school. Hoping to find more artifact (bullets, but hopefully some other things as well) and I got my wish.

I spent 5.5 hours working a grid and finishing a section of the property and then started a new grid along a fence line. Not great coin wise, but 2 more firsts. All together 36 coins with a face value of $1.40, a scabbard tip, a tiny cheapie dangle, camp lead, 2 CW bullets, a toasted buffalo nickel, a mini skateboard, some tabs and junk.

View attachment 2021232

The buffalo is truly toasted. The civil war bullets are a .58 caliber minie that was wormed (my first wormed bullet out of over 900 CW bullets) and a Williams Type III missing the zinc washer base.

View attachment 2021233

The bayonet scabbard tip was a nice surprise. It is my first and it looks like it was used by federal troops. So 2 firsts on this trip and that makes 4 civil war firsts from this site. It takes a lot of swingin and digging a ton of other stuff to find them but it is worth it.

View attachment 2021221

My least favorite find at schools are the pencil ends. They are inevitable with a mid to high tone depending on their position in the ground. So while I am digging all the mid and high tones to get all the goodies I get piles of these stupid things and of course everyone’s favorite POP TABS. If you could eliminate tabs, pencil ends and can slaw life would be so much easier.

View attachment 2021235

The last hunt of the week was to the other school. I only had 4.5 hours to hunt because of an appointment. Less trash than normal in this section of the grid and a few interesting pieces, but nothing special. All together 94 coins with a face value of $7.74, a neat looking junk ring that had come apart in the hole, a star pendant with some of the metal cord it was on, an older style brass pin, a couple of buttons, a token (HOPE EXTENSION HERO RESORT OPTIMA) and tabs.

View attachment 2021236

View attachment 2021237

Made another stop at the store on the way home and again no coinstar money, but I did find $0.36 in the coin return. Treasure is everywhere if you keep your eyes open. It wasn’t much but it does add up.

Overall a very good week, 4 silvers, more civil war artifacts including 2 firsts, good eyeball finds, a pile of clad and lots of outdoor fresh air exercise to keep the old man health. It can always be better, but no complaints here. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
You found quite a lot. That bayonet scabbard tip is very cool and bullets are always welcome. That school just keeps on giving. Congratulations and thanks for posting!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lots of targets and it produced a whole bunch of keepers.
Well done on the 3 silvers, getting the big 1952 bonus.
Nicely done on the relics, liking the train locomotive.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you on the pencil tops, but if you could eliminate pencil tops, pull taps, and can slaw then everyone would metal detect and there wouldn't be anything left for the rest of us! Also I love how you put the tech deck in with all the other ancient relics.
Thanks. You have a good point about everyone doing it if it was easy. I guess we tough old birds will just have to keep working hard for our goodies. Stay safe and keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your nicely illustrated, long, informative story-post. Thank you.
You are welcome. The educator in me likes to be helpful if I can. Stay safe and keep swingin.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection. I would use the foil method for cleaning that half. Foil, baking soda, a dash of salt and boiling water should clean it up nicely

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2021222

View attachment 2021223

View attachment 2021225

View attachment 2021226

View attachment 2021229 View attachment 2021227 View attachment 2021228 View attachment 2021230

View attachment 2021232

View attachment 2021233

View attachment 2021221

View attachment 2021235

View attachment 2021236

View attachment 2021237

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection. I would use the foil method for cleaning that half. Foil, baking soda, a dash of salt and boiling water should clean it up nicely
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try. Stay safe and keep swingin.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2021222

View attachment 2021223

View attachment 2021225

View attachment 2021226

View attachment 2021232

View attachment 2021233

View attachment 2021221

View attachment 2021235

View attachment 2021236

View attachment 2021237

Tnt-hunter....you don't miss a beat...you check coinstars....find left over change...a man after my own heart :)
Some very respectable finds... congratulations đź‘Ť

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread