Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
San Francisco has some beautiful big boulevards with large grassy areas on both sides of the road.these are one of my go to places when I have a chance to detect the city and they never fail to cough up some interesting items. Toward the end of Saturdays hunt I was getting tired of listening to all the chatter from the iron tones and decided to crank the discrimination to penny in an attempt to sniff out some silver while working my way back to the car. Under a small tree I got a high reading on the T2 and started digging up pennies. Great I thought more bum change but the coins kept coming so I figured this is my last hole anyway lets pile them up and see how far they go. After about 50 I cried uncle and filled the ever expanding hole. checking the coins I suddenly realized I had a hoard, they appeared to be from the 60s so I opened the hole back up and Kept going in the hope of some silver. Total count 124 pennies of which 42 are wheat backs. Oldest coin 1911 newest 1967. Cool hand Fluke pounds this place so I hope I did not just get punked. photo.JPG

Upvote 32

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a big spill . I always hope of finding a silver one like that

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats that's a good hunt!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm? I am not certain how I would feel about this if it were to happen to me. I have recovered a few large penny spills without wheats and gave up on after about five minutes gathering zincolns and some actual copper memorials. I say if wheats are popping up I'd continue to dig until I reached the end of the beeps or it just became ridiculous in time management. If indeed your buddy punked yo' butt' I'd be looking for a cool copper or brass snuff tin fill it with zincolns and place it strategically under a hefty root about a foot deep on one of his favorite haunts. ;D

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would anyone leave free money and walk away? Hmm

Cosmo3

Feb 8, 2017
Chattanooga, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Hori-Hori Knife, Gerber Folding Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a horde of pennies alright.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hit quite a pile of copper. They may have been buried in a paper bag that has long since decomposed. That would make it a Cache. Unless of course,, your buddy is having a little fun with you.

Dirt_Hunter

Jun 1, 2016
Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that's quite a find. Congratulations.

cajamk

Jan 5, 2017
Northern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice cache find! So many times we find good items on the way back to the car! The "MD Gods" blessing us???? I don't know.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the large pile of coins, always fun! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread