4th diamond ring since July 24, a merc dime, more civil war stuff, more scout camp goodies and I am king of the fishing sinkers

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a state park to do some water detecting. In Maryland you can only detect the beaches and swimming areas and you canā€™t do them until after Labor Day. I was away the week after Labor Day and missed the rush of detectorist who show up to clean out the parks. I was hoping that the other folks left me something.

I went to a park that usually produces some goodies and spent 6 hours with the ATPro doing the whole swimming area and a quick check of the beach and it looks like this park might have been missed by the other folks. I found 35 coins with a face value of $2.90, 4 rings, some earrings, an earring back, a bead, fishing sinkers, small bits of aluminum and brass (including a small piece of brass chain), a black stainless steel chain with an antique brass key on it, some tabs and of course aluminum foil.

1E53B78B-A791-43E5-AB84-BB2D708ED271.jpeg

3 of the rings are silver and the 4th one is a cheapie kiddie ring. The silver ring on the right has tiny diamonds in it. 4 of the 16 diamonds are missing. I have found a number of silver pieces with diamonds in them and the diamonds are always small. That makes 4 diamond rings since I started my new year May 1. A good start to this year, do you think it will keep going? Probably not. One of the rings says I LOVE YOU TO THE MOON AND BACK and another one says FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE. The only earring back I found is silver as well so 4 silvers for this day.

724E8AFA-1D05-4CF7-9309-928A6FE3EFC5.jpeg

One of the earrings looks like gold. I checked it over and found 14k FI on it. I think this might mean 14k gold fill, but Iā€™m not sure. I tested the stone and it is a red topaz or a spinel. Iā€™m pretty sure it is a topaz. Iā€™m not sure why they would put a gem stone in a piece of gold fill jewelry. I have found 14k and 18k jewelry with czs instead of real gems. So maybe the earring is 14k and not gold fill. Anybody know anything that might help?

656DB544-5BF5-4F94-AD7F-BA01E8794797.jpeg

I went to another state park thatā€™s not used a whole lot and has a very small beach and a small swimming area which gets pretty deep in the middle so I canā€™t detect that part, itā€™s way over my head. I detect the entire beach and as much of the swimming area I can reach without going underwater. I spent 5.5 hours and found a total of 12 coins with a face value of $.54, a Mercury dime, one ring, 3 pendants, an earring, a piece of a cheapie ring that broke, some fishing gear, 2 selfie stick retainers, 58 sinkers, and some bits of foil.

7EDEF550-D0FA-47A5-8BFA-BE156F159247.jpeg

The Mercury dime was a nice surprise it was over on the edge of the beach. We are not allowed to detect anywhere except the beach and the swimming area. I believe this section had grass on it in the past. The grass was growing on sand and I think when they groomed the beach they removed some of the grass making the beach a little larger, making it possible for me to find this little lady. Unfortunately when I scooped her up I mustā€™ve pushed her face through the sand a little bit because sheā€™s kind of scratched up but still a 1944 mercury dime is worth digging and was a nice surprise. Unfortunately that was the only silver that I found that day and there was no gold. This particular beach and swim area usually produces more fishing sinkers than most of the rest of the swimming areas that I detect but the count was way above what I normally find. Some of the sinkers area really tiny. Still king of the small stuff?

2C181084-CBE4-4BF0-9531-635F19413A1D.jpeg

It was time to go back to the Boy Scout camp to see if I could have any luck there. Iā€™ve detected most of the camp at least once and have at least cleared the best of things out of the way. Of course theyā€™re still using camp so theyā€™re still losing things and still leaving me more tent pegs so thereā€™s always something to find. Right now Iā€™m trying to clean up areas and get them as thoroughly done as possible.

I spent 6.5 hours with the CZ21 hoping to finish the site I have been working on. I am going way out beyond the normal tent area to see what spots might have been used long ago. That has proved to be a good idea. All together I found 141 coins with a face value of $12.01, 39 camp tent pegs, some good personal tent pegs for my scout troop to use, a piece of brass chain (possibly from a patrol supply box), a Canadian quarter, a Cub Scout neckerchief slide, an R, a dead pocket knife, a cheapie charm bracelet with 2 silver plated charms, 6 rope tensioners, 19 fishing sinkers, some can tabs and lots of melted aluminum foil from the campfires.

18105577-660A-455B-B80B-89A253C0D8AB.jpeg

19 fishing sinkers is again way above the norm. Sometimes only 1 or 2 and the best times usually 10 or 11. The nickel count was above normal as well. 27 quarters, 32 dimes and 31 nickels is not the normal coin distribution for a camp outing.

I went back to the Civil War bullet school hoping for a little luck and I had some. In 5 hours of swing in the CZ 21 I managed to find 46 coins with a face value of three dollars and $3.26, a couple of Civil War bullets, a finial, a button, the end of a buss fuse, two ace bandage fasteners, a cheapie jewelry clasp, a few bits of can slaw, some wire and only six can tabs.

6D7BA3FC-3E36-475C-A51F-0EBB2AB75027.jpeg

The Civil War bullets are a 58 caliber mini ball and a Williams type III cleaner bullet. The finial is a different style than Iā€™ve seen in the past. I had to do a little searching to find one like it but Iā€™m 99% sure it is Civil War. When I first dug it out I wasnā€™t sure it was brass because itā€™s black but on closer inspection it looks like itā€™s been in the fire so thatā€™s why itā€™s so black. This is the first finial I have found. This school site has produced a number of CW firsts for me.

A6025A6C-BC0C-46D5-8D36-79B813BCB96C.jpeg

9E909425-01BB-4951-830C-75180B0D5683.jpeg

The button is a Civil War cuff button unfortunately the back is in great shape and the front is just 1 small piece. When I pulled it out of the hole all I had was the back. I looked at it and I could tell from the inside that it had been a whole button until just then. When I fish around in the hole I did find a piece of the front but the rest of it mustā€™ve disintegrated. The soil mustā€™ve been pretty hard on it and just the pressure of me digging in the ground and pushing the button caused the front to collapse. I am not going to clean the front anymore because Iā€™m afraid I will destroy what little bit there is left of the button but when you look closely you can see the shield and the eagle so it looks like itā€™s a general service cuff button. There is no backmark. No way to get an exact age, but it looks like the style used during the civil war and that matches the other things Iā€™m finding.

87115CF6-06DD-4074-ADA1-AC16F0FDBE2A.jpeg

4232D33B-C7DC-4521-B2E5-8C34BD75C812.jpeg

We walked at the mall again. I found 2 dimes in the Walmart coinstar machine, a quarter in a coin return. As we were walking our loops I noticed 2 quarters on the floor outside of the photo booth. I pulled aside the courts and there was another one on the floor of the booth.

So more civil war bullets and artifacts, silver, including one with ice, lots of clad and a real pile of sinkers. Most of them are small, but there sure are a lot of them (83 in all for this week). Does that make me king of the sinkers? The ring count for this year is looking really good so far. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Attachments

• 19A61141-6FBB-4C2F-82B6-A6E06FE5D0D3.jpeg
    19A61141-6FBB-4C2F-82B6-A6E06FE5D0D3.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 30
  • B9D6FDC2-7152-423D-BDD4-B4DC213D09DF.jpeg
    B9D6FDC2-7152-423D-BDD4-B4DC213D09DF.jpeg
    495.7 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 22

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a state park to do some water detecting. In Maryland you can only detect the beaches and swimming areas and you canā€™t do them until after Labor Day. I was away the week after Labor Day and missed the rush of detectorist who show up to clean out the parks. I was hoping that the other folks left me something.

I went to a park that usually produces some goodies and spent 6 hours with the ATPro doing the whole swimming area and a quick check of the beach and it looks like this park might have been missed by the other folks. I found 35 coins with a face value of $2.90, 4 rings, some earrings, an earring back, a bead, fishing sinkers, small bits of aluminum and brass (including a small piece of brass chain), a black stainless steel chain with an antique brass key on it, some tabs and of course aluminum foil.

View attachment 2047030

3 of the rings are silver and the 4th one is a cheapie kiddie ring. The silver ring on the right has tiny diamonds in it. 4 of the 16 diamonds are missing. I have found a number of silver pieces with diamonds in them and the diamonds are always small. That makes 4 diamond rings since I started my new year May 1. A good start to this year, do you think it will keep going? Probably not. One of the rings says I LOVE YOU TO THE MOON AND BACK and another one says FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE. The only earring back I found is silver as well so 4 silvers for this day.

View attachment 2047031

One of the earrings looks like gold. I checked it over and found 14k FI on it. I think this might mean 14k gold fill, but Iā€™m not sure. I tested the stone and it is a red topaz or a spinel. Iā€™m pretty sure it is a topaz. Iā€™m not sure why they would put a gem stone in a piece of gold fill jewelry. I have found 14k and 18k jewelry with czs instead of real gems. So maybe the earring is 14k and not gold fill. Anybody know anything that might help?

View attachment 2047041

I went to another state park thatā€™s not used a whole lot and has a very small beach and a small swimming area which gets pretty deep in the middle so I canā€™t detect that part, itā€™s way over my head. I detect the entire beach and as much of the swimming area I can reach without going underwater. I spent 5.5 hours and found a total of 12 coins with a face value of $.54, a Mercury dime, one ring, 3 pendants, an earring, a piece of a cheapie ring that broke, some fishing gear, 2 selfie stick retainers, 58 sinkers, and some bits of foil.

View attachment 2047032

The Mercury dime was a nice surprise it was over on the edge of the beach. We are not allowed to detect anywhere except the beach and the swimming area. I believe this section had grass on it in the past. The grass was growing on sand and I think when they groomed the beach they removed some of the grass making the beach a little larger, making it possible for me to find this little lady. Unfortunately when I scooped her up I mustā€™ve pushed her face through the sand a little bit because sheā€™s kind of scratched up but still a 1944 mercury dime is worth digging and was a nice surprise. Unfortunately that was the only silver that I found that day and there was no gold. This particular beach and swim area usually produces more fishing sinkers than most of the rest of the swimming areas that I detect but the count was way above what I normally find. Some of the sinkers area really tiny. Still king of the small stuff?

View attachment 2047029

It was time to go back to the Boy Scout camp to see if I could have any luck there. Iā€™ve detected most of the camp at least once and have at least cleared the best of things out of the way. Of course theyā€™re still using camp so theyā€™re still losing things and still leaving me more tent pegs so thereā€™s always something to find. Right now Iā€™m trying to clean up areas and get them as thoroughly done as possible.

I spent 6.5 hours with the CZ21 hoping to finish the site I have been working on. I am going way out beyond the normal tent area to see what spots might have been used long ago. That has proved to be a good idea. All together I found 141 coins with a face value of $12.01, 39 camp tent pegs, some good personal tent pegs for my scout troop to use, a piece of brass chain (possibly from a patrol supply box), a Canadian quarter, a Cub Scout neckerchief slide, an R, a dead pocket knife, a cheapie charm bracelet with 2 silver plated charms, 6 rope tensioners, 19 fishing sinkers, some can tabs and lots of melted aluminum foil from the campfires.

View attachment 2047034

19 fishing sinkers is again way above the norm. Sometimes only 1 or 2 and the best times usually 10 or 11. The nickel count was above normal as well. 27 quarters, 32 dimes and 31 nickels is not the normal coin distribution for a camp outing.

I went back to the Civil War bullet school hoping for a little luck and I had some. In 5 hours of swing in the CZ 21 I managed to find 46 coins with a face value of three dollars and $3.26, a couple of Civil War bullets, a finial, a button, the end of a buss fuse, two ace bandage fasteners, a cheapie jewelry clasp, a few bits of can slaw, some wire and only six can tabs.

View attachment 2047036

The Civil War bullets are a 58 caliber mini ball and a Williams type III cleaner bullet. The finial is a different style than Iā€™ve seen in the past. I had to do a little searching to find one like it but Iā€™m 99% sure it is Civil War. When I first dug it out I wasnā€™t sure it was brass because itā€™s black but on closer inspection it looks like itā€™s been in the fire so thatā€™s why itā€™s so black. This is the first finial I have found. This school site has produced a number of CW firsts for me.

View attachment 2047037

View attachment 2047040

The button is a Civil War cuff button unfortunately the back is in great shape and the front is just 1 small piece. When I pulled it out of the hole all I had was the back. I looked at it and I could tell from the inside that it had been a whole button until just then. When I fish around in the hole I did find a piece of the front but the rest of it mustā€™ve disintegrated. The soil mustā€™ve been pretty hard on it and just the pressure of me digging in the ground and pushing the button caused the front to collapse. I am not going to clean the front anymore because Iā€™m afraid I will destroy what little bit there is left of the button but when you look closely you can see the shield and the eagle so it looks like itā€™s a general service cuff button. There is no backmark. No way to get an exact age, but it looks like the style used during the civil war and that matches the other things Iā€™m finding.

View attachment 2047038

View attachment 2047039

We walked at the mall again. I found 2 dimes in the Walmart coinstar machine, a quarter in a coin return. As we were walking our loops I noticed 2 quarters on the floor outside of the photo booth. I pulled aside the courts and there was another one on the floor of the booth.

So more civil war bullets and artifacts, silver, including one with ice, lots of clad and a real pile of sinkers. Most of them are small, but there sure are a lot of them (83 in all for this week). Does that make me king of the sinkers? The ring count for this year is looking really good so far. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Very Nice Hunt!!!! Congrats!!!

Armstrong

Apr 24, 2020
Jurassic Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold filled rings I've found have a percentage marked usually. 1/20 GF for example or something similar. Diamond anything is a great day in my book, but for me I only have 1 earring this year to show.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2047030

View attachment 2047031

View attachment 2047041

View attachment 2047032

View attachment 2047029

View attachment 2047034

View attachment 2047036

View attachment 2047037

View attachment 2047040

View attachment 2047038

View attachment 2047039

Awesome finds. Keep it up.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE GOING KEEP up the GOOD LUCK IN FINDING THINGS !!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold filled rings I've found have a percentage marked usually. 1/20 GF for example or something similar. Diamond anything is a great day in my book, but for me I only have 1 earring this year to show.
Thanks for the info. Most of the ones I have seen up to now are 14k GF or 10k GF. The info on line said FI could also stand for gold fill. I guess I will have to give it a deep scratch test to be sure.

Thanks to all, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k

View attachment 2047030

View attachment 2047031

View attachment 2047041

View attachment 2047032

View attachment 2047029

View attachment 2047034

View attachment 2047036

View attachment 2047037

View attachment 2047040

View attachment 2047038

View attachment 2047039

Awesome! Love the ring pulls!šŸ˜€
Kidding, great finds šŸ‘

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread