4th trip to the local street tear up..Had to defend my hobby again..Some people !!!!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headed out after work again to the local street tear up in my town and....................

I'm getting tired of having to defend my hobby because of some person who thinks they have to stick thier nose into what I'm doing.
Lady ( about 50 ) ask me what I was doing. I said I was looking for old coins that people lost.
She says that there not mine to find....
huh.gif
huh.gif
??
What do you mean?
Well maybe the workers lost them and they will come back for them.....
What? There 3-4 inches in the ground and they were lost a while ago.
Well you look strange doing that and is that a knife you are carrying?
Well don't be doing that here. If there lost then you shouldn't be finding them....
huh.gif
??
Mam...Don't worry to much about what I am doing...
Then she went off on a rampage....
I told she was the strange one by telling what she had said....Go into your house and worry about yourself cause I'm not doing anything against the law... I live around here and I pay my taxes for this land right here and I will continue to do what I'm doing and I will move on when I'm done.
She went into her house all pissed off....
I'm tired of people making it there business to what I'm doing.

It turned out pretty good again.
Found some goodies.
First off I got a 1959D Washington Quarter
A bunch of wheat pennies ( 12 in all )
Then a 1926 merc followed by a 1920 merc about 10 minutes later.
Some clad and again some junk....

Thanks for looking and at least I didn't have to deal with police again this time.
IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0554.JPG

Upvote 15

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had that happen to me while detecting. I lady came out of her house and asked what I was doing I told her I was trying to find coins along the side walk. She told me I didn't have the right to be removing something that someone else had lost. I told her that she should go back across the street to her house and quit harassing me. She began cussing me and threatened to hit me with a remote phone she was carrying. I told her she should call the police and see did. When they arrived I arrested her and she was transported to jail by the officers for disorderly conduct, She didn't know that I was a Deputy sheriff. I enjoyed doing that.

ROTFLMFAO, Thats just too funny!......:tongue3:

diggerdoug

Greenie
Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a lady stop and ask me if I was looking for gas leaks. I told her no I was metal detecting. She said well I smell gas. I said well my last hole was pretty deep.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Grab all the Wheaties, and go pound on her door. When and if she answers, pull them out one at a time, and casually ask "did you lose this penny? Did you lose this penny? Did you lose this penny?
This one's from the 1920's, did you lose this when you were a youngster? (50 year old people start to get cranky about hitting or passing the half century mark.)
Then explain to the soon to be there authorities that you were just doing the right thing, trying to return lost items.
Yet another reason I'm not married,
Carl

ROFLMFAO I am so gonna do that if this ever happens to me :laughing7: I lol'd for 5 mins straight when I read this

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This reminds me of a time I was mding with two buddies in the hood. When we were pulling out our detectors from the trunk one of the locals with droopy pants and a backwards baseball cap asked, "yall makin a movie or sumthin".

I had a local woman at one of the urban parks telling me she was dressed nice and she blended well with the trees so I should take her picture. I've spoken to this prom queen a few times in the past but it did take me a minute or two to figure out that she thought my detector was a camera. I finally said it me your buddy that looks for treasure...light bulb went off and we spoke for a few minutes then she went off on her crazy way. I absolutely love the urban locals. To them I must be the crazy white guy that detects in a shirt and tie...lol.

NJ

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like me back in Summer of 09. Finally they just excepted me and instead of b%&*@#ing at they ask good question and stories they shared

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great and humorous responses here! Just be aware of who you're talking to when you tell them off. Unless we're hunting with our own Deputy Dave as a partner, the resident idiot may have clout or friends that do. A buddy and I were hunting parking strips in a neighboring town when the "land Baron" who owned the property behind the sidewalk came out to rant and rave about us being vandals. Well, after being nice and trying to explain/demonstrate what we were doing, we finally had enough of her bizarre behavior so we told her to buzz off (or words to that effect!) Well, it turns out she was the local assemblyman's wife. Ooops! We managed to appolgize our way out of any trouble but she pretty much had the last laugh as the police were reading us the riot act.

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, this is a bummer when it happens. You get the type that hates what you are doing...because they have NOTHING else better to do...they see you doing something they are not doing, and it bothers them...scares them even...they call the police because you are digging a little hole in the dirt...and when the cops arrive to 'investigate', they eventually tell you, "well you're not hurting anything, so, just be sure to cover your holes, don't make them too big...have a nice day"...HA...take that! I think people have too much idle time on their hands, sit and fester, stare out the window and become more and more paranoid...911 becomes the solution to everything because they have resided to engage their brain with the doing of something constructive for themselves. I respect when someone says no, if it is their property, I leave them alone...I don't press the issue. I look elsewhere. I don't leave a sour reputation for them to pass around for all of us. I try to keep it as low profile as possible. But sometimes, it is hard to do this with these personality types.

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, maybe 'resigned' their brain...works better.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice haul!
Yes, there are alot of people who just love to talk to you and are interested in your hobby, AND on the flipside those that love to start trouble.
If I find somone in their disposition to be offensive I generally ignore them or tell them I am busy.
If you do not put yourself in the position of answering their question, then there is nowhere for the conversation to go. :lightbulb:
In any case, I really do not tell anyone I have found anything. That just draws more attention to you and your spot! (And most of us work hard to find one.)
Also, leave the area like you found it.
Looking back on it--I am sure the miserable woman's banter was worth the haul, and now you can have a good laugh. :laughing7:

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I will never be courteous to some nosy, rude person. Some people say turn the other cheek...I will turn the other cheek and they can kiss that side of my ass. Nice finds

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Recognize it for what it is: interaction with others

Most folks know what you are doing, but some of the few who don't might see a crazy person swinging some contraption and scratching, poking or digging here or there while wearing earmuffs in the middle of summertime.

If you are detecting (or participating in any other activity) in a place where other people are around you never know what you may run into: Some people will be curious and friendly, some won't acknowledge your presence, some will tell you to stop what you are doing, some will smile warmly and a rotten few will hold a knife to your throat while stealing your wallet.

I have two suggestions:
1) Be prepared for interaction with others with pleasant confidence instead of unpleasant defensiveness (If what you are doing is allowed, you shouldn't feel the need to defend it.)

2.) Treat everyone exactly as you wish to be treated

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lady once came up to me and told me that I was taking advantage of others misfortunes.
I told her: "So do plumbers, doctors, auto mechanics, and lawers".

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE DIGS! This is why I hunt in the woods. I don't need to be bothered on "MY TIME"

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya some peeps can piss ya off! I once had a wise kid saying he lost money where i was detecting(a park) so i said if you tell me the dates you can have um back! He kept walking. And once some old crappy lady called cops on me and my buddy at a school.Thats the only time some crab called the cops on us. Nothing better to do i guess for some unhappy people.
I actualy loved the way you handled that! HH

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Deputy Dave said:
I had that happen to me while detecting. I lady came out of her house and asked what I was doing I told her I was trying to find coins along the side walk. She told me I didn't have the right to be removing something that someone else had lost. I told her that she should go back across the street to her house and quit harassing me. She began cussing me and threatened to hit me with a remote phone she was carrying. I told her she should call the police and see did. When they arrived I arrested her and she was transported to jail by the officers for disorderly conduct, She didn't know that I was a Deputy sheriff. I enjoyed doing that.

Lessen learned.

BIGHEAD

Jan 5, 2008
Pensacola,Fla
Detector(s) used
,MXT 300, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THATS GREAT!!!!

Mr. Magoo

Feb 5, 2007
North carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Had the same thing happen to me the other day. Lady said, "No one ever does that on OUR street!" I told her, "Good, that means there is alot of great stuff here!" Really spun her up! I loved it! She knew it was an easment right for me to be there but oh how she hovered over me! I just kept digging. I pulled a silver spoon with an engraved letter on the handle out of a six inch hole and she watched me put it in my bag, fill the hole and kept detecting. I told her 15 of my friends would be back to dig this spot because there is obviously more here! She stormed off! Made my day! If only people would mind there own business! lmao

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deputy Dave said:

LOL great story! XD love it!

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you returned all those finds to the poor street workers who I'm sure lost all that stuff while working there :) I'm convinced some people just have such miserable lives that they have to go out of their way to try to make everyone who looks like they're having fun just as bad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread