$5,000 Buried near Green Brier N.W. of Shamokin ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
  • Mount Carmel Item (Mount Carmel, Pennsylvania)
  • 14 Aug 1918, Wed
  • 000.jpg
Needs Research there is a Greenbrier (one word}, S.W. of Shamokin
I haven't looked or a newspaper mention of the other

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! I've been through Sunbury, down to Fishers Ferry a number of times (because we missed our turn). Brings back memories of past family reunions. My relatives own a hunting lodge in the Shamokin Area.

Attachments

• Shamokin.jpg
    Shamokin.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 22

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless Fishers Ferry is where we cross the river. You turn from the freeway on one side of river, go until get across and drive a distance along other side of river. Real easy to get lost in the back roads.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not... there is an old mine in those Shamokin hills which according to my uncle (who since passed away) it was gold. He got permission from landowner, and we stepped inside the entrance. Tried doing research but all I found seearching was glacial placer gold. I think the area is know for coal, so this is really odd to see a gold mine there. Found rose quartz float in a corn field close to it.

Mar 8, 2023
Kulpmont, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
nokta makro simplex plus
Believe it or not... there is an old mine in those Shamokin hills which according to my uncle (who since passed away) it was gold. He got permission from landowner, and we stepped inside the entrance. Tried doing research but all I found seearching was glacial placer gold. I think the area is know for coal, so this is really odd to see a gold mine there. Found rose quartz float in a corn field close to it.
hold up....you ACTUALLY saw the mine entrance? what year was this and do you have an idea, even if it's a vague one, of in what direction it is located from shamokin? this isnt the first time that i have heard this; in fact. the first time was over this past weekend when a friend of mine asked me if i had ever heard of a gold mine located somewhere near shamokin. he asked me because i am a local historian with an up and coming FB group & youtube channel and he thought it might be something for me to look into since i live in kulpmont. while i wasnt aware of anything of the sort in the immediate vicinity of shamokin, i did happen to find some information on this site regarding 2 gold mines that once existed in Klingerstown & Leck Kill, both of which are within a short drive of shamokin but on the other side of the mountain but neither of them have been accessible for decades so im pretty sure you and him arent talking about the same things.

if youre ever in the area & want to help me try to find it, send me a message. and while you're at it, head on over to my FB group by typing @hardcoalxcore into the search bar & dont forget to smash the like button!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hold up....you ACTUALLY saw the mine entrance? what year was this and do you have an idea, even if it's a vague one, of in what direction it is located from shamokin? this isnt the first time that i have heard this; in fact. the first time was over this past weekend when a friend of mine asked me if i had ever heard of a gold mine located somewhere near shamokin. he asked me because i am a local historian with an up and coming FB group & youtube channel and he thought it might be something for me to look into since i live in kulpmont. while i wasnt aware of anything of the sort in the immediate vicinity of shamokin, i did happen to find some information on this site regarding 2 gold mines that once existed in Klingerstown & Leck Kill, both of which are within a short drive of shamokin but on the other side of the mountain but neither of them have been accessible for decades so im pretty sure you and him arent talking about the same things.

if youre ever in the area & want to help me try to find it, send me a message. and while you're at it, head on over to my FB group by typing @hardcoalxcore into the search bar & dont forget to smash the like button!
This will be the first year since Covid started, that the family reunion will take place as it did in years past. However, don't think I'll be able to make it there this time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread