jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I LOVE THAT SILVER. Great Job Ocean, hope you double that in 2005? :)

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, whats up Ocean7. Was starting to wonder if you fell in a well somewhere MDing as we haven't see a post from ya in a while. ?

Excellent year, and excellent digs! 8) Looking forward to seeing your 05 goodies.

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Hey Ocean..What kind of Sand did you find the 2 Reale in...I mean pre or post Hurricane? in the water? dry sand..Just wondering cause that is too cool.....

Dave

BRINK

Oct 21, 2004
WOW...! Thats all I can say. Living here in Illinois does'nt give
me any chance of finds like that. THANKS for sharing.
HH in 2005 BRINK

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio
Hey Ocean7, I got an Explorer II for Christmas and have been ranting and raving out it for 5 days now, I've only got to go out 3 times now 2 for about 10 mins and one for 30 mins or so, my house is a very crappy site that is the reason i found just about nuthin, the reason that my house is so crappy is because the yard was coverd with obout 10in of topsoil! and i think the topsoil came from a hillbillys yard cause everything i find are pulltabs and junk! I got a book with it (Mastering the Minelab XS) and read all of it, in one of the instances i went out the ground had about 3'in of frost in it and i bent my shovel trying to dig a target, i did find a zinc penny! :-[ I find that it is a very accurate machine, but i have nowhere to hunt,+ it is pretty cold outside, anyways, I was wondering if u could give me some tips and disrimination programs that u could give me, thanks, HH CS

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Ocean7!Your in PA., no?These sites you hunt,are they mostly sites with homes still on them or do you just research old areas of town.I guess what i'm trying to establish here is,how do you find so many old coins?I've read some of your other posts and you are pretty good at finding productive hunting spots.I research and research and still haven't found anything to compare with your finds.My oldest coin to date is a 1919 wheatie!Whooppeee!Do you, do a lot of asking permission to hunt, from people you've never met?Are you hunting old settlements that no longer exist?Not trying to be nosey or anything,just trying to gain a little knowledge.Thanks in advance and H.H.! :)

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks, all!

Dave - these are all 100% in-the-soil finds not beach finds. Most of my hunting takes place
in soil not sand. You need colonial property to find such, and many just don't have that
MD'ing luxury. 13 original colonies in US are high yield areas for colonial coins etc.

diggummup - read my post to True Metal about finding old sites and locating coins. i'm not going to repeat it here.

Coin_Saver - send me your e-mail and I'll fire off some tips from my extensive logs.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great Finds!,
My cousin has found a few large cents here in Indy, but they are very few and far between.
He's been at it for a few years now...
Good luck in 2005 & Happy Hunting~

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bumped up the post O7 spoke of? Diggumup.

It's entitled " 1801 Draped Bust LC" by O7
It's on the current page now.

C

Charles,Oak Island

I've just got to get back out on the beach next week. Nice finds.

C

Charles,Oak Island

I would go tomorrow, it's going to be near 70 degrees but I'm sure the terrorist I mean tourist will be out in number.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim - bumped back to top , easier to find now...? ;)

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Amazing stuff!!? I also have an EXII, I would love any advice you have to give about settings!

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
piratepete - well i know a guy in South Jersey that finds same kind of stuff. I assume central NJ must have some colonial spots etc.

MDnoob - see must first post here. E-mail me if you want more info.
Thanks!

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
deleted

pics deleted by O7
here are photos back. Seems a shame to have a Best of Tnet post without photos. I'll have to look through my posts to see what these Large Coppers were as far as type and date where visible.
Then I'll update post. well I can only find these and it stops there (too old, post gone):
1796 Draped Bust,
1801 Draped Bust,
Geo II Large Copper,
1773 VA half penny,
1787-89 George II Machin's Mills Halfpence,
1818 Coronet head copper,
1796 Liberty Cap Copper,
1812 Classic Head Copper

Attachments

• B464.jpg
    B464.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 72