Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Short and sweet, my mind is going a thousand miles a minute..,, pulled this from a spot we’ve dug two Spanish silvers.... but thinking it was Spanish, i could not identify it. I googled “posvi coin”, and these early, hammered, British coins appeared. “Groat?!”... I DO NOT KNOW... all you early British numismatics please jump in. Not going to flatten it out, can’t see a date as of yet.. Thank you... Ddf.

Attachments

• 0E27D7B4-3F09-42D3-A044-D88441EE6229.jpg
    0E27D7B4-3F09-42D3-A044-D88441EE6229.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 5F0AF48A-BB52-4110-BEAF-FBCBAE1A8891.png
    5F0AF48A-BB52-4110-BEAF-FBCBAE1A8891.png
    638.3 KB · Views: 127
  • A3223500-0227-403E-A5D5-A1A99F6D75E4.jpg
    A3223500-0227-403E-A5D5-A1A99F6D75E4.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 148
Upvote 39
OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 1 theory. It's not that worn, so it wasn't in circulation for much more than 50 years.
So it's unlikely to have stayed in circulation until it was brought over to the States.
Which suggests to me it was either put away for a long time or maybe more likely it was lost 50 years after minting. Found by a detectorist & brought over to the US or purchased from a detectorist or old coin collection.

Probably one of the more probable scenarios I’ve heard or thought about. Cru, this is going out on a limb here, and involves additional research on my part. BUT... many years ago on Halloween (my wife reminded me of this), we took a midnight “haunted” tour of one of the oldest cemeteries in our area. In one of the furthest corners in one of the oldest parts of said cemetery, our guides told us of English buried here, of possible royal heritage... name “Tudor”, and actually lived on the road where this cornfield is... Would it be silly to think there might actually be a connection? I need to research and maybe find more out about these people. Thank you for the insight. Ddf. P.S., nothing else found here would indicate or point to wealthy or relatives of the Throne were at this site.

Last edited:

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
holy cow, amazing! thanks for posting and big time gratz.........

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its definitely a hammered English silver. The side folded in would tell which monarch you have. Cant tell from the pic but definitely late 16th to mid 17th century

Hi Toasted, thanks very much for the input, very much appreciated! This thing was only pulled from the dirt because it was a repeatable signal. 39-40 on my At Max, bouncy, scratchy... and that’s what we were doing, as long it didn’t grunt and was repeatable. Next we are going to go after the iron signals, and there is a lot, just in case something is laying on edge or being masked. Thx again, Ddf.

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy cow, amazing! thanks for posting and big time gratz.........

Thx, hunk-a-lead... was my pleasure lol. Was a bummer that I didn’t get to scratch something off of my bucket list, as 16th century hammered silver wasn’t really on there. Ddf.

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the coin I always pictured retrieving from a CoinStar machine return tray one day.

For... i thought this was the only real chance of finding one here. heh

Thx AARC, looking back, I guess it would be more probable finding one of these in a Coinstar than in an Ohio cornfield lol.. Surely a surprise for me... now every time I go out I have to try to top THAT! The absolutely stunning Capped half dime I found the next day kinda paled in comparison lol... Thx for looking, Ddf.

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the hammered silver, it's just one of those :icon_scratch: finds where so many queries come up on how it rested in a field in your parts. The main thing is it's all yours now-big congrats.
I've seen some pretty bent/cracked/torn silvers and golds (before/after pictures) that have been annealed, straightened, amazing what a good jeweller can do-that knows what they're doing.

Thanks Pepperj, yes... the how/why/when question....I don’t know and I’ve accepted the fact that I never will. After the dust settles I am going to send it off to have it professionally repaired. At least have it flattened or straightened so it resembles a round coin once again. Thanks for looking, Ddf.

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unlike A2coins, I think it's pretty Cool , Even in that "Hammered" Condition ! Congrats ! :coffee2:

a2_ just messin ! because imo sick is one of the worst words in the english language for that Meaning to be used.
personally I'd like to slap whoever sent that in to urban Dictionary & Slap them for printing it :laughing7:

I imagine if I tell them Car means Door they will print it.

Thanks Jeff of Pa!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find for Ohio (or anywhere in North America). How if got to be in Ohio is going to be fun conjecture. My theory is that it was traded to the Indians who like silver baubles, and migrated west with the Indians until it was lost.

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find for Ohio (or anywhere in North America). How if got to be in Ohio is going to be fun conjecture. My theory is that it was traded to the Indians who like silver baubles, and migrated west with the Indians until it was lost.

Thanks Steve in Pa, yes that’s probably a lot closer than what I was thinking. There are a lot of flakes on the ground here and we’ve found 2 of 3 complete points, all black onyx. Also thank you guys for changing the title of this thread, at the time I did not realize the significance of this find. Ddf.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An amazing find anywhere in the US - but here in Ohio - WOW ! :occasion14:

The "Hoover Boy's" down in Maryland have found one or two but yours is the first one I've ever heard of found in our part of the country.

Something to think about ...
A lot us these days collect and or hunt for coins that are a few hundred years old - it's most likely that people have been collecting coins for centuries.
It's possible that your hammered coin could have been an old family keepsake or part of a collection after who ever lost it, immigrated to the US a few hundred years ago ?

Good Hunting !

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice save. I found a nicer looking 1586 Lizzy sixpence last year from a known 1690-1710 era site. How that one ended up in Ohio will never be known

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The "Hoover Boy's" down in Maryland have found one or two but yours is the first one I've ever heard of found in our part of the country.

A lot us these days collect and or hunt for coins that are a few hundred years old - it's most likely that people have been collecting coins for centuries.
It's possible that your hammered coin could have been an old family keepsake or part of a collection after who ever lost it, immigrated to the US a few hundred years ago ?

Good Hunting !

Very good insight, as indeed, there are folks thru history, that have used coins as keepsakes, jewelry, even burials get decorated with coins. Small and easily transported.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow amazing find - my banner vote is in!

Kind of takes away my excitement of finding 4 wheats in Michigan today. Maybe tomorrow I'll get the 500 yr old hammered silver!

Congratulations and hope you find more.

Pete

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good Hunting !
Thanks E-Trac, your guess is as good as mine but that sounds plausible. There was a school on this site along with a few houses, possibly some young tyke took Gramps’ old hammered coin for show n tell.... and lost it. I’ll never know but it sure is fun thinking about all the different scenarios, that’s what this hobby is all about... the search, the find and the moments we relish over our treasures. Thx for looking, Ddf.

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow amazing find - my banner vote is in!

Kind of takes away my excitement of finding 4 wheats in Michigan today. Maybe tomorrow I'll get the 500 yr old hammered silver!

Congratulations and hope you find more.

Pete
Thank you got the kind words, PullTabPete...I’ve had plenty days out here where I didn’t even bring home ONE Wheatiie! Get out there and beep, they’re out there just gotta get your coil over them! Good luck in your travels, Ddf.

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save. I found a nicer looking 1586 Lizzy sixpence last year from a known 1690-1710 era site. How that one ended up in Ohio will never be known

I think I remember that Lizzy... stunning! This site has produced a few mysteries, a near mint 1842 Seated dime... with a New Orleans mint Mark, the 1834 Capped half dime with almost no wear, and of course, our hammered. Thanks for looking Toasted, Ddf.

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brilliant Find, could be a game changer for Ohio history BANNER Banner,

love the Tudor in the graveyard ... story can't be just a coincidence

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks E-Trac, your guess is as good as mine but that sounds plausible. There was a school on this site along with a few houses, possibly some young tyke took Gramps’ old hammered coin for show n tell.... and lost it. I’ll never know but it sure is fun thinking about all the different scenarios, that’s what this hobby is all about... the search, the find and the moments we relish over our treasures. Thx for looking, Ddf.
Another good theory, lent lots of school kids finds & coins from all period of history. Normally the period they are studying at the time. I only give them things I'm not worried about getting lost because I have heard of it happening.
The school could have been studying the 'Tudors' at the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread