.52 Cal. Ball and Mold...

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found the ball last summer and the mold just last weekend in the same area. Two military expeditions came through this area (Ohio - Tuscarawas Co.). One in 1764 against the indians (Bouquet) and the other in 1778 against the British (McIntosh). I am hunting for stuff that may have been dropped during one of these expeditions. Unfortunately, these may be from a later time. But still a cool find for me. Especially to have the ball and the mold that may have made the ball. Any thoughts on the age?

-Swartzie

Attachments

• ball mold update.jpg
    ball mold update.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 750
  • ball mold update.jpg
    ball mold update.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 658
  • ball mold.jpg
    ball mold.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 387

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We see these molds here from time to time and I love seeing them! That one should look nice when cleaned up.

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Hard to like these to any military operations or use but still it's manly man stuff and that is always nice to find. Just as many civilians had bullets and bullet molds as soldiers and the military did. Just take it for what it is. It's old and the bullet mold is not a very common find. I doubt that any military operation or outfit had each soldier molding their own bullets. And that particular style being short handled and all iron and such gets real hot very quickly once you go to pouring the lead to it. Nice find and a great addition to your metal detecting collection. I've never found one in 30 years unless it was at a yard sale, swap meet, flea market or antique shop. Back in the bullet mold's hayday your area was the frontier. Hope your finding more old stuff like this in your area.

JRich

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JRich98150 said:
Hard to like these to any military operations or use but still it's manly man stuff and that is always nice to find. Just as many civilians had bullets and bullet molds as soldiers and the military did. Just take it for what it is. It's old and the bullet mold is not a very common find. I doubt that any military operation or outfit had each soldier molding their own bullets. And that particular style being short handled and all iron and such gets real hot very quickly once you go to pouring the lead to it. Nice find and a great addition to your metal detecting collection. I've never found one in 30 years unless it was at a yard sale, swap meet, flea market or antique shop. Back in the bullet mold's hayday your area was the frontier. Hope your finding more old stuff like this in your area.

JRich

You might want to re check your history...especially the Confederates :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread