Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sometimes when I press the pin point button nothing happens
Yes, I often experience this and I think its normal. I usually release the button, swing away and then press the pin point button again when approaching the target from different angles. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times. I think the processor is overwhelmed sometimes by some types or scenarios of signals underneath the coil.

It is best to release the pin point button each time you swing far away from the target before pin pointing again in order to narrow in over the center of target. Thats my experience. The more you use it, the more familiar it will become.

Good luck! DD

Last edited:

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I often experience this and I think its normal. I usually release the button, swing away and then press the pin point button again when approaching the target from different angles. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times. I think the processor is overwhelmed sometimes by some types or scenarios of signals underneath the coil.

It is best to release the pin point button each time you swing far away from the target before pin pointing again in order to narrow in over the center of target. Thats my experience. The more you use it, the more familiar it will become.

Good luck! DD
mine does the same thing. The nature of the beast.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Vanquish machines are bad about falsing/high toning on rusty nails and small iron pieces that have halos. The signal will usually break up if you circle the target.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vanquish machines are bad about falsing/high toning on rusty nails and small iron pieces that have halos. The signal will usually break up if you circle the target.
Especially nails with a bend in them I have noticed.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Especially nails with a bend in them I have noticed.
Yes, they are the worst. Every detector will do this to some extent. More expensive machines usually have better iron filters but will still get fooled on those darn bent nails.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they are the worst. Every detector will do this to some extent. More expensive machines usually have better iron filters but will still get fooled on those darn bent nails.
Yes, they sure sound good. I have dug many.

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you push the pinpoint button while right over the signal, you will tune it out. That's the only time mine hasn't sounded off in pinpoint mode. If that's not the problem, I would call Minelab and ask them about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread