🥇 BANNER -550 BC Coin found Scuba detection with CTX

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all

Found today in the Med sea, -9m scuba diving using Minelab CTX 3030 with Coiltek 10x5 CTX coil.

IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG IMG_0648.JPG
View attachment 1110034 MAE-CTX-roundup.jpg
266373Ctx3030underwaterprogram.jpg

CTX_underwater3_1280.jpg

CTX_underwater2_1280.jpg

This coin is over 2500 years old!

Created by the Grec chamber of Commerce for the Marseille region (French Riviera)

->Want more photos of scuba metal detection looking for +2000 years old shipwreck?
Check out this post: Minelab Excalibur II - scuba diving

-> Battery leaking with your Minealb CTX3030? Need to waterproof your CTX 3030 metal detector:
Take a look to this post : http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/minelab/447583-make-real-waterproof-ctx-3030-scuba-diving-experience.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
To call this banner is an understatment. Incredible fantastic amazing awesome unbelievable find!!! I wish I lived there, I am a Swiss citizen because my dad, his parents, and his family going back to around 1000ad lived there, (My Great-great-great-great..... Grandfather has some castle there from the medieval times), so theoretically I could live there. Congrats, I'm super jealous .

Coinman123,

Happy to meet a compatriot! This find comes from the Med sea which is 300 miles away from Switzerland (!). I scuba detect in the swiss lakes and the Rhone river...and I will push some photos (and maybe videos) of swiss lakes detection where we find some roman coins. Just have to wait till june because I hate cold water....

I see you have found a french Liard (Liard de France, royal period 1500-1650 ), great find!! Hope it is in good shape because most of the one I've found are "washed" due to the poor compound quality and thickness. Do you have photo of it?

Last edited:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Superb find and well done on the Banner!!

Nice mods to the detector. Would you not consider a dedicated scuba detector such Seahunter or Aqua Pulse?

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Superb find and well done on the Banner!!

Nice mods to the detector. Would you not consider a dedicated scuba detector such Seahunter or Aqua Pulse?

Thanks for the comment BVI Hunter (i love your nickname, makes me dream... BVI : "paradise destination").

I have an Excalibur and I'm currently building a new one with OBN including great MODS (ability to switch coil underwater, remote PP latching etc...). For some places underwater, it is very similar to land detection: if there is iron somewhere then .... you have intresting stuff as well, and Excalibur is not that great when you have iron around. I use it for >15m depth.

Now Aquascan are not treasure detectors for me. They are great machines to locate burried pipes, large stuff very deep BUT when it comes to discrimination on trashy areas .... it's an other story. I'm not that familiar with PI but I will have shortly (probably this summer) a prototype of a new Pulse Induction detector inspired from an up to date Eric FOSTER technology. I have alredy tried the land version with great success on heavy hammed places and did some finds with it.

I haven't tried the Sea Hunter yet, but did tried the Infinium. Great machine but not so powerfull for a PI machine, I found it was very similar to Excalibur at the end of the day. CZ-21 is a great machine also but I don't like its design due to its lack of modularity.

I know CTX 3030 is not the perfect detector for underwater usage, but it is the most powerfull VLF on the market today, I wish I could bring my XP METAL DEUS down there....

Some pictures of Excalibur II scuba metal detection underwater

View attachment 1128957 View attachment 1128958 View attachment 1128960 View attachment 1128961 View attachment 1128962 View attachment 1128963 View attachment 1128964 View attachment 1128965 View attachment 1128966 View attachment 1128967

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the comment BVI Hunter (i love your nickname, makes me dream... BVI : "paradise destination").

I have an Excalibur and I'm currently building a new one with OBN including great MODS (ability to switch coil underwater, remote PP latching etc...). For some places underwater, it is very similar to land detection: if there is iron somewhere then .... you have intresting stuff as well, and Excalibur is not that great when you have iron around. I use it for >15m depth.

Now Aquascan are not treasure detectors for me. They are great machines to locate burried pipes, large stuff very deep BUT when it comes to discrimination on trashy areas .... it's an other story. I'm not that familiar with PI but I will have shortly (probably this summer) a prototype of a new Pulse Induction detector inspired from an up to date Eric FOSTER technology. I have alredy tried the land version with great success on heavy hammed places and did some finds with it.

I haven't tried the Sea Hunter yet, but did tried the Infinium. Great machine but not so powerfull for a PI machine, I found it was very similar to Excalibur at the end of the day. CZ-21 is a great machine also but I don't like its design due to its lack of modularity.

I know CTX 3030 is not the perfect detector for underwater usage, but it is the most powerfull VLF on the market today, I wish I could bring my XP METAL DEUS down there....

Looks like you really know your stuff!:thumbsup:

With that knowledge and dedication more Banners are sure to follow!

happy Hunting!

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congats on a great find! You'll remember this one for the rest of your life!.....

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:censored: That's cool!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy to meet a compatriot! This find comes from the Med sea which is 300 miles away from Switzerland (!). I scuba detect in the swiss lakes and the Rhone river...and I will push some photos (and maybe videos) of swiss lakes detection where we find some roman coins. Just have to wait till june because I hate cold water....

I see you have found a french Liard (Liard de France, royal period 1500-1650 ), great find!! Hope it is in good shape because most of the one I've found are "washed" due to the poor compound quality and thickness. Do you have photo of it?
Sorry being late to answer.

Here are some photos of it, it is in horrible condition though, it was also very worn when dropped, the only detail on the reverse is the letter "I" mintmark.
item3.jpg item31.jpg item32.jpg

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a photo I took two seconds ago after 9 months of soaking in oil
20150310_182640.jpg
20150310_182647.jpg

Also, It is as thin as a knife blade, I do not know if that is due to the dirt or how it was struck.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome info on waterproofing my CTX 3030. I have always been leery of the water proofing of the CTX (although better than most) I have NEVER submersed mine because I was afraid of the repair cost in the event of failure of seals. I am going to upgrade mine this weekend. I can't have an MD that is allergic to water!

Cheers and thanks!

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a photo I took two seconds ago after 9 months of soaking in oil

Also, It is as thin as a knife blade, I do not know if that is due to the dirt or how it was struck.

There are in a "Upper average" condition. It's very hard to find some Liars in good shape, even if they were band new, the quality of the manufacturing and the compound wasn't good at this time.

Congrats!

PS: don't even try eletrolysis on them, have tried a few time and were sent to the trash just after.

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
There are in a "Upper average" condition. It's very hard to find some Liars in good shape, even if they were band new, the quality of the manufacturing and the compound wasn't good at this time.

Congrats!

PS: don't even try eletrolysis on them, have tried a few time and were sent to the trash just after.

Don't worry I won't, last time I did eletrolysis I made deadly chlorine gas. I want to try it on some iron though. The coin is so thin I am worried a hole would be dissolved in the middle of it if I did anything harsher! Just curious, were these coins hammered or machine struck? The whole area where I live was first settled in first half of the 1700's but there were some fur traders from Canada down in the late 1600's so that is what I'm guessing. I doubt I can get older.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin! "Congratulations"! Very interesting thread and I love the "Wreck Dive Video". Felt like I was there with y'all and needed a cold beer when we got back to the surface.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find and a Banner for sure.
Ignore the naysayers and hope they stay away.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't worry I won't, last time I did eletrolysis I made deadly chlorine gas. I want to try it on some iron though. The coin is so thin I am worried a hole would be dissolved in the middle of it if I did anything harsher! Just curious, were these coins hammered or machine struck? The whole area where I live was first settled in first half of the 1700's but there were some fur traders from Canada down in the late 1600's so that is what I'm guessing. I doubt I can get older.

Try to identify yours on this blog Site sur les Liards de France - Mise en ligne de ma collection de liards afin de montrer qu'une menue monnaie de cuivre peut occuper une passion très longtemps !

Then I will tell you

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful coin! "Congratulations"! Very interesting thread and I love the "Wreck Dive Video". Felt like I was there with y'all and needed a cold beer when we got back to the surface.

Why having to surface for a fresh beer? A cold beer just can't wait

$_57.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions