6 buckets

Akronplacer

Jan 3, 2022
Made a 6 bucket run Sunday. Swapped out my riffles for heavy expanded metal and fake grass as suggested by Chris from vogus prospecting. I was pretty impressed. It looks like it's holding on to nothing until you clean it out and then it's a giant pile of black sand and gold. Only draw back is it kicks out almost all the garnets. I like to pick those out of the cons and keep them too. IMG20220515174221.jpg IMG20220516231356.jpg IMG20220516231641.jpg

Grand total for 3 seasons of prospecting

IMG20220516231733.jpg

Upvote 11

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made a 6 bucket run Sunday. Swapped out my riffles for heavy expanded metal and fake grass as suggested by Chris from vogus prospecting. I was pretty impressed. It looks like it's holding on to nothing until you clean it out and then it's a giant pile of black sand and gold. Only draw back is it kicks out almost all the garnets. I like to pick those out of the cons and keep them too. View attachment 2027156 View attachment 2027157 View attachment 2027158

Grand total for 3 seasons of prospecting

View attachment 2027159
Akron Ohio?

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds but I'm wondering about removing the riffles no pickers or nuggets?

OP
OP
A

Akronplacer

Jan 3, 2022
This is Ohio there are no nuggets and the biggest picker I have found is a 0.2g. I'm sure it would catch that. It catches shotgun pellets pretty well.

I just don't have big enough gold to test that.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I saw the Vogus Prospecting video that he's talking about. Chris says that if the water coming over a riffle is going too fast or with too much force, it could wash out the gold sitting being riffle and send that gold further down the sluice. Because the water goes up and over the riffle, and if you have the angle of the sluice is too steep it could contribute to the water slamming down and blowing out your gold. Chris recommends getting rid of riffles and going to the expanded metal instead. Also in his set-up, he was using Dream Mat with the metal.
I think that it's a good idea to have different capture zones like in a typical Gold Hoig mat set-up. The expanded metal and carpet are a good idea, but if there were bigger flakes or nuggets in the mix these might get washed out too easily.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks great. Volume is always key around here for sure. I picked up a small dredge that in pumped to go try.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a couple fo different shaped riffles in addition to the expanded to try and catch your garnets

OP
OP
A

Akronplacer

Jan 3, 2022
Looks great. Volume is always key around here for sure. I picked up a small dredge that in pumped to go try.
I got a guy from Wooster that's gonna try it there with his dredge if we can ever get together. Maybe after that you can come up with yours.

This is 4 buckets today scraping the clay. I was looking for the biggest gold I could get so not really going for quantity. Wanted to test the mat on the biggest gold I have access too. It's only 1 or 2 specks a pan but their might as well be nuggets for Ohio
IMG20220517194242.jpg IMG20220517194334.jpg IMG20220517194356.jpg IMG20220517230116.jpg IMG20220517230548.jpg

OP
OP
A

Akronplacer

Jan 3, 2022
Try a couple fo different shaped riffles in addition to the expanded to try and catch your garnets
I just figured when I want garnets I'll slap the riffles in. This weekend I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

OP
OP
A

Akronplacer

Jan 3, 2022
I saw the Vogus Prospecting video that he's talking about. Chris says that if the water coming over a riffle is going too fast or with too much force, it could wash out the gold sitting being riffle and send that gold further down the sluice. Because the water goes up and over the riffle, and if you have the angle of the sluice is too steep it could contribute to the water slamming down and blowing out your gold. Chris recommends getting rid of riffles and going to the expanded metal instead. Also in his set-up, he was using Dream Mat with the metal.
I think that it's a good idea to have different capture zones like in a typical Gold Hoig mat set-up. The expanded metal and carpet are a good idea, but if there were bigger flakes or nuggets in the mix these might get washed out too easily.
The problem I have is with surging. The water in that spot will speed up and slow down at random and when it slows down too far it tends to kick all the heavies out. Typically when the water is high after a good rain its just too unpredictable to run the sluice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread