Greenie
Mar 7, 2018
San Dimas, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone:

I just received my new 6" coil for my Equinox 800. I had read where some say that the 6" coil did not work as well after the update. My Equinox has been updated. Wondering if I should revert back to the original operating system. I also noticed that my pinpointing seems a bit off after the update but that could be me as I am new at this and learning.

Thanks,

Steve

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really have to compare both programs to figure out which works best for you. Some love the update and some do not. Get some good hunts in with and without and let us know which you prefer and why. Good luck!

OP
OP
S

sundown08

Greenie
Mar 7, 2018
San Dimas, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really have to compare both programs to figure out which works best for you. Some love the update and some do not. Get some good hunts in with and without and let us know which you prefer and why. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Will do.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got my 6” coil on Wednesday, and despite rain I got to try it out in one of my most iron laden sites for a brief time. I could tell immediately that I was picking up more small conductive targets, and that I can expect to make more good finds in spots where good finds have become rare. I saw where some thought the iron falsing was worse on the 6” coil after update ( but not worse on the 11”)
I will have that in mind as I start to use the 6” coil. If I notice a lot of falsing but I’m digging more good targets I won’t go back to the original pre-update firmware. But as it’s simple to do I won’t rule it out. If overall performance is better with update, but not on the 6” I will stay with the updated version.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
6" Coil and Nox Update

I used the 6" today for the first time and it sucked. Max depth on a quarter is 3" in my ground, worthless

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the 6" today for the first time and it sucked. Max depth on a quarter is 3" in my ground, worthless

Yes, the depth is going to be restricted relative to the stock coil, but that sounds pretty bad even for that coil. What is the max depth that you get in your soil with the stock coil (the 6 inch will get roughly half the max depth of the stock based on the ratio of coil sizes)? How did you test the depth (settings)?

Even with the restricted depth you describe, it might be worth it in thick iron or restricted swing areas where the shallow targets still exist and are masked by the trash and interfering obstacles. That's what it's designed for - separation and use around fence lines, playground equipment, and in thick vegetation.

Definitely, not an open field coil. If none of the above situations apply to you then it would be best to move on from it.

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010

Mine consistently hits quarters in the coin garden at 6 inches, plus I have found 7-8" pennies in hunts. You have something going on with your setup.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine consistently hits quarters in the coin garden at 6 inches, plus I have found 7-8" pennies in hunts. You have something going on with your setup.

His ground may be highly mineralized which really affects depth regardless of coil or target, that is why I asked him how the stock coil performs and also to give more details on how he determined "max depth". But yeah, that sounds pretty bad and could be a coil or setup issue if the ground is not that mineralized.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My stock coil, I was digging small brass and miniballs about 7 inches today. I didn't get any signals or try test targets any deeper so I'm not sure.

OP
OP
S

sundown08

Greenie
Mar 7, 2018
San Dimas, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone:

I received my 6” coil yesterday. Hooked it up real quick when I got home and took it out before the rains started here. I am using an equinox 800 on park 1 with the update. I live in an RV park and the EMI here can get pretty bad at times. Went out near my rig and within the first few minutes I found a quarter about six inches down. Went a few feet and found a nickel at about 4”. My last find before the rain started was a penny about 5-6”. The other really great thing I noticed is how quiet my machine was. I was able to run the sensitivity at 23 with no problem! Can’t wait to go hunting tomorrow after the weather clears. Thank you all for your help and advice!

Regards,

Steve

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011

His ground may be highly mineralized which really affects depth regardless of coil or target, that is why I asked him how the stock coil performs and also to give more details on how he determined "max depth". But yeah, that sounds pretty bad and could be a coil or setup issue if the ground is not that mineralized.

I also live and hunt in the SE., in Alabama which is also red clay territory and even the black stuff here is pretty mineralized.
On top of that where I live we are infested with extra iron from microscopic to massive.
Depth is a problem here and always has been for every brand of detectors that I have used or have seen or heard of anyone else ever using.
Despite that I can still get past 3" on a quarter with my 6" coil and anything else I have ever used including a simple Compadre.
I think it might be a hardware, software or setting issue...but even with the most illogical settings I think this thing can see quarters past 3".

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
My stock coil, I was digging small brass and miniballs about 7 inches today. I didn't get any signals or try test targets any deeper so I'm not sure.

Sounds about right compared to my dirt, a little better than in my dirt, actually, but my 6" coil can come real close to matching my standard coil in performance.
You need to check your coil on another unit and/or check another 6" coil on yours if you can.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
"but my 6" coil can come real close to matching my standard coil in performance."

My 6" coil nearly matches my 11" factory coil also. It certainly goes way past 6 inches. One thing about the 6" coil, is that it can be ran hotter than the standard coil. I learned that from my experience with the 4x6 Shooter coil on my Whites V3i. It holds true on my 600 also. Even at the same sensitivity of the 11" coil, still approaches the same depth with the 6".

It pays to plant coins in the ground at a nominal depth or two, have them seasoning in the ground over time, but you can still compare fresh buried coins for testing two different coils against each other. jm2c

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had the 6” coil for awhile now and it hits deep no problem and it’s with the update. Pin point is right on also. I like it a lot. All factory settings no adjustments at all. Works great no complaints.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This might be the key to several problems here. Multi Frequency machine like the Minelab Equinox 800 do not air test well nor do they test well on freshly buried targets. Coin gardens need to be in the ground in at minimum 1 year to get as good test.

Single frequency machines are not as effected by air tests. Sometimes they will even air test better than real in the ground targets. You just never know.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, the depth is going to be restricted relative to the stock coil, but that sounds pretty bad even for that coil. What is the max depth that you get in your soil with the stock coil (the 6 inch will get roughly half the max depth of the stock based on the ratio of coil sizes)? How did you test the depth (settings)?

Even with the restricted depth you describe, it might be worth it in thick iron or restricted swing areas where the shallow targets still exist and are masked by the trash and interfering obstacles. That's what it's designed for - separation and use around fence lines, playground equipment, and in thick vegetation.

Definitely, not an open field coil. If none of the above situations apply to you then it would be best to move on from it.

That is exactly what I use my 6" coil for. Really tight situations in overgrown weeds and brush that I cannot really swing the stock coil. One place that I have hunted before with the stock and came up short was real close to the base of large trees. The six inch recovered 10 additional coins that were buried 3-5" right next to the tree base on the inside curves of trunks of oak trees. Of course it is great in junky park areas which I have hunted and the six inch coil found more clad that I had missed before. The six inch coil just has its place and will not compete for field work, nor would I even consider it for open field work unless you found a home site in the field loaded with iron nails resulting from a home being burned.

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anybody searched homesite with 6" coil with update and was disappointed with nail/iron two way signal falsing

then revert update, and go back to same site and find items??

RayinAlaska

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Sovereign
Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

More than likely you aren't setting the detector the right way. Just look at some of "youtube" videos of detectorists using the Equinox to dig very deep coins in iron infested areas of the UK and Scotland. Try an automatic ground balance with Tracking and see what happens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread