Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those darn modern 1801's. ;D

I went on a hike this morning to a site that takes about half hour to briskly walk to and even though I have been there about 3 times before, only on the first hunt did I find a coin (1776 KGIII Irish Halfpenny). The other two hunts I got Tombac buttons but no more coins. This morning I concentrated on a different side of the main iron field and found a small depression where on the rim of it I got a coin reading and sure enough a large copper was buried there.
Depression next to Holly trees.jpg
copper as first seen.jpg
Copperfoundat.jpg
A few feet away I got a Tombac button and besides some shotgun casings and several bullets, I had no other diggable readings.
1801 DrapedBustLargeCent S-223  1 over 000.jpg
The coin is a a 1801 Draped Bust Large Cent, Sheldon 223 variety which has the 1/000 fraction, which is a very common one regardless.
252finds.jpg
The first coin to break into the 1800s for me this year, my son did it sort of on Sunday, with a 1800ish Chinese cash coin, but he also got a 1787 Conn Copper to boot!
Dan1787ConnSite248.jpg
So this year has been great so far for both of us with nine 1700 era coppers already along with the Large Cent and Chinese coin.

Don

Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alright! When a Draped Bust copper pops out of the hole, I am thrilled. You are definitely in the correct South Jersey metal detecting zone. You are going to hit 50 coppers this year, Don. I feel it in my very Colonial bones and body. :laughing7:

Keep the passion high!

Kirk :hello:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't hardly stand it! AHHH! SNOW SNOW! Awesome DOn, you are definitely on a hot streak!

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow. had did you clean up that coin so nice (trade secret). i have 9 largies still soaking from jan 12 on. check them every week and they still dont look that good? comon don whats your secret :dontknow:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don you are doing really well on the old Coppers so far this year! Congrats buddy and here's to your continued success :occasion14: :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Don on lucky number 7, your doing quite well on the Coppers being it's only March 3rd.
Good to see your sucess at such an early time of year.

Hill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread