8 Reales Cob Mexico Chopmarked

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
I have a cob that has two Chopmarks, so it appears it was produced in Mexico, then traveled to China, and then came back to Florida, USA.
Has anyone seen these type of Chopmarks, or can identify them?
One is concave, and one is convex, and looks like a flower.
Unfortunately, I don't have the book Chopmarked Coins: A History; the silver coins used in China 1600-1935, but I hear that they are about to publish the next edition in a couple of years. It identifies Chopmarks found on Cobs, and US coins that made their way to China on board trading ships, and sometimes back here, like this one.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230208_174140.jpg
    20230208_174140.jpg
    862.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230208_174201.jpg
    20230208_174201.jpg
    888.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I saw one like this on ebay. I think the two stamps are denomination marks, and define its value as 2 Batus, or an equal value. I think it was circulated in Cochina, mid 1600's.

OP
OP
Suncoast Kid

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
Yeah, that was probably me. I had it listed on eBay and they pulled my listing because they said someone complained that it was a fake. I sent a picture of it to Daniel Sedwick and he verified that it was authentic, and offered to buy it . Actually, I'm glad they pulled my listing because it's my favorite one, as it has a good center strike, and condition, also the history of it with the Chopmarks. If only it could tell the story of where its been. Thanks for your comment. It's no longer a secret of what you can find around Sebastian Inlet.

OP
OP
Suncoast Kid

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
Plus or minus a few miles. It is getting harder to access sites now because of private property, salvage rights, no metal detector laws, the gate is locked when it should be open at an access area, etc.
It's a different world now then it was when my Grandfather used to take me over there when I was a kid in the late 60's.
But still, there are areas you can still access and find cobs, especially after storms, and in the winter time when the beaches aren't all sanded in.
The hardest part for me is the cleaning process, which is very tedious and meticulous. It has to be done perfectly, and then get it back to the right oxidation state and color.
With Escudos it's a different story. They pretty much look the same as the day they were lost.
I have found more 2 Reales than anything else and even those are hard to find. You just have to be in the right place at the right time.
I have found one spanish gold chain, but that was at a beach site near a wreck to where the manifest stated "gifts for the queen".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions